I Tried Carnival, But I'm Back For Good!!!

Just got back from the Sensation this past weekend, and it was awful! I could not wait to get off for the first time on a cruise. The ship was so tacky, as well as some of the passengers, that we will not be sailing Carnival again. I am glad I tried it, because my preconceived opinion was confirmed!

The bad: food, service, decor, communication, fellow passengers with NO manners, lack of activities

The good: larger stateroom, great cabin decorations, it was at least a cruise...

RCI has so much more to offer us I can't wait to back on the Sovereign soon. I'll answer any specific questions for those that are curious. I'll also be putting together a formal review once I can figure out how to compose it all together.

If you're going to try out a different cruiseline to see if it's good or not, why on earth would you sail on one of the oldest ships of their fleet? Carnival has come quite a way since the Sensation was built.

Well.. it seems like he is comparing Sensation with Sovereign which is even older...

We sailed on brand new Liberty, and rooms and food were definitely better than on RCCL, but I can agree activities are not very interesting and some of PAX :eek: . My main problem with Carnival was LINES everywhere.. from 2.5 line to the ship, to overcrowded buffets.. and pool area.

Wow - I've been on 5 Carnival cruises and have never seen these awful PAX that I always hear about on this board. I'm going on my first RCCL cruise and I sure as heck fully believe I will see the exact same clientelle.

Are you positive it's not BECAUSE of your preconceived notion that you "notice" these scumbag fellow PAX more?

I'm not bashing you or trying to be rude in the slightest, I just know how it is to have a preconceived notion about something (or someone) and then it's hard to shed that impression. I also agree that going on an older ship is NOT the way to judge an entire fleet.

I'm going on the Empress in 10 days and I will certainly not judge the entire RCL fleet by this one old, small ship. :)

That being said, there could have very well been some scumbags on the ship and I agree that some of their ships are downright tacky! Plus the stupid colors game is terrible.

To respond to all, yes, I did have a preconceived image in my head, but I went on board with an open mind. I was even excited to try Carnival thinking we would have the best time.

We did have a good time, but that was because I always have a good time with my hubby... He's a great travel partner:)

My biggest beef was not with the passengers, but with the staff. I just did not feel appreciated for being on board like I do on RCI. But I will say, I have not seen as many obnoxious people on RCI, although there are some, as on Carnival.

I tried the Sensation because I live in Orlando and Port Canaveral is the closest for a three day get away. Sensation was the cruise that fit our schedule. I will say that I paid for interior guarantee and we ended up with portholes, so that was nice.

The ship was just so darn ugly and hard to figure out. Purple and gold are so 80's! I really did not like the "Touch of Class" bar that had hands as the bar stools. I mean really, that is so outdated it should have been changed if they did a refurb. And the entertainment that went that bar was just as bad, so we could not stay in there...

I have never been on a Carnival cruise, but I have thought about it because of the pricing. My girlfriend's first cruise was on Carnival and she told me that she had a really nice time. She said the ship was beautiful and the food good however, after going on an Royal Caribbean cruise she said that the quality of service is very different as well as the atmosphere. My H has never been on Carnival and has no intention of doing so...he loves RC and that's that. I guess it's different strokes for different folks.

I too will be sailing on RC for the first time in November on EOS. We've sailed Carnival several times including the Pride when she was new. ( Hope I won't be judged as "one of those " ) The ships appear to be a bit more Vegas than when we sailed Celebrity - but I kind of liked a bit of "flash" . I'm sure Royal Caribbean will not disappoint. Just always amazes me how "loyal" cruisers can be to their line - same thing on Carnivals board. Heck the worst day cruising is still a better day than at work! People are people - I think you get a mixed bag where ever & what ever you sail.

The ship was just so darn ugly and hard to figure out. Purple and gold are so 80's! I really did not like the "Touch of Class" bar that had hands as the bar stools. I mean really, that is so outdated it should have been changed if they did a refurb. And the entertainment that went that bar was just as bad, so we could not stay in there...

I agree that the "old" Carnival ships leave alot to be desired as far as decor goes :eek: They remind me of being at an amusement park. But, I think you'd be in for a pleasant surprise if you stepped aboard one of their new ships....very different for sure. They still do have "themes" which the other mainstream cruiselines do not have.

PS - the one thing that disappoints me already though is no laundry facilities on board - other than the pay service. I have kids and they go through clothes. Carnival had pay washers and dryers on the decks. No biggie to throw a load in & sit on the balcony. Guess I'll be sending stuff out this time - but I am not pre-judging :)

Lewdog, I'm sure it also has to do with going on a 3 night Bahamas cruise versus a full 7 night cruise as well as the port. There is certainly a different crowd on the two.

we just booked a 4 night cruise (Mon-Fri) with Royal Caribbean Majesty of the Seas to Bahamas. We are already wondering what the crowd will be like. We normally sail 7 night cruises.

we just booked a 4 night cruise (Mon-Fri) with Royal Caribbean Majesty of the Seas to Bahamas. We are already wondering what the crowd will be like. We normally sail 7 night cruises.

We did the four-night Majesty of the Seas cruise in February. I really liked the passengers. It may have been the time of the year. Most of the people, but not all, were about our age (early sixties). They seemed liked "folks" for want of a better word. I didn't get a "party" vibe at all. I'm sure there was a party bunch, but they kept to themselves.

I thought it was a very relaxing cruise, even though we are used to longer cruises. Much of the impression I have may be due to the time of the year we took the cruise.

We did the four-night Majesty of the Seas cruise in February. I really liked the passengers. It may have been the time of the year. Most of the people, but not all, were about our age (early sixties). They seemed liked "folks" for want of a better word. I didn't get a "party" vibe at all. I'm sure there was a party bunch, but they kept to themselves.

I thought it was a very relaxing cruise, even though we are used to longer cruises. Much of the impression I have may be due to the time of the year we took the cruise.

Thank you for your reassuring words :)

We will be leaving on this cruise the week before Thanksgiving vacation begins. Can't see too many parents pulling their kids out of school the week before they'll be on vacation anyway, and College age students don't have vacation that week either. I don't mind anyone having fun, it's when it get's out of hand that I'm worried about.

we have done 3 carnival cruises- they were great! we have done 2 rci with the next one to begin sept 7th- 4 nighter- our first short cruise- will be interesting to see what the diff's are between 7 nighters on the 2 diff. lines vs a 4 nighter

anyway- we like rci best so far- less announcements , nicer decor (not that decor matters to me) and less of the people i rather not see.......... the tatoo'd and pierced to the max people, the european not a thong but close to it women /girls saw both and mom's cellulite was there but tanned - still yuk - the college guys with a cooler of beer they brought on board types- now carnival may have changed from this but this is what i remember from carnival- all 3 - 2 spring break and one in the fall- spring break is the worst by the way- i dont begrudge anyone doing the things i mentioned............i had just rather not be around it personally- no offense- i smoke,,,,,,,,you may not want to be around me either............:) lol and i am fine with that..............we all have a preference- some like chocolate and some like vanilla- does not make either of us wrong.........

rci for us...........bottom line.........:)

I've traveled Carnival in the past and had a great time. But, once we got on RCCL we had an even better time, more activities that I enjoy and I feel, better service. It wouldn't keep me from traveling Carnival again if it was just price but as I get older, I get pickier and now feel as though RCCL is "my cruiseline.":p

We started out with RCCL on the Song of Norway (1st ship in the fleet). Tried more Carnival & RCCL cruises. After our RCCL cruise on the Adventure we became loyal customers. We now have Diamond Crown & Anchor status. We always ask other passengers about their experiences on other cruise lines and typically find that people like RCCL the best. We like the Radiance class ships the best. To each their own taste.

Although I do not really care for Carnival anymore, I must agree that sailing the Sensation is not the best way to judge the line. Carnival's newer ships are quite impressive, if you like that type of atmosphere. I just personally find the overall atmosphere on RCCL more to my liking from the passenger mix to the staff and definitely the ships.

But, that's not to say that RCCL doesn't have it's share of partiers. It does, especially the short 3 nighters over the weekends. However, the short 4 night cruises are during the week, Mon-Fri, so the partiers are less inclined to take a week off of work to party, so Herb you should be safe.

The Sensation was my first cruise back in 2000 and we were hooked. Thought it was an amazing vacation. However, now, you couldn't GIVE me a cruise on the Sensation. Try the newer Carnival ships for a more accurate comparison. Whichever ship you're sailing, enjoy!

This will be our 1st RCCL cruise. My first 2 were on Carnival Conquest out of NOLA. 1st was grown folks only in May of '04. Last August, we took all the kids. We had a fantastic time both cruises. Tons of things to do for the kids.

The hot dogs were the best I've EVER eaten and the dinners were very good. Entertainment at dinner was great - very funny. Service was great and the folks around us were as pleasant as you can expect when putting 3000 people together. I definitely have not taken my last Carnival cruise.

Our first three cruises were on Carnival. The first two were acceptable but the last one (Carnival Legend) was a disaster. Lousy service, horrible decor, lack of on board activities, unhappy/unfriendly, lazy employees. We vowed never to sail on Carnival again and we never will. Seems to me the majority of Carnival loyalists are inexperienced cruisers who haven't tried the other cruise lines. Usually once they do they become aware of Carnival's many shortcomings.

Seems to me the majority of Carnival loyalists are inexperienced cruisers who haven't tried the other cruise lines. Usually once they do they become aware of Carnival's many shortcomings.

That's a pretty arrogant thing to say.

Maybe the "Carnival loyalists" don't like stuffed shirt attitudes and noses in the air that appear on "other cruise lines.":rolleyes:

I may be an "inexperienced cruiser" but I know service and accomodations when I experience them. Motel 6 to the Waldorf. More US states than I can count and 7 foreign countries traveled to.

Perhaps, also, they are not as inexperienced as one might think. Perhaps they simply choose not to rub how many cruises they've taken in everyone else's nose.

Perhaps RCCL will be better. Perhaps not.

We took our first Carnival cruise last year on the Liberty, after 13 RCI. I went into it not expecting much - only booked because it was on a dirt cheap special. I felt like I'd be losing money not to grab it. Well, I was blown away by the food service, etc. It was just wonderful FOR THE PRICE. Sure, the decor is dreadful but I can get by that. Looked at them again this year but saw no prices anywhere near that one. RCI is certainly our favorite, but I'd try a newer Carnival again AT THE DIRT CHEAP PRICE.:p

It's true, different strokes, but I just wanted to share my opinion. I work in a hotel, so I live service everyday! I know I get better service on RCI. That's why I'm back... But for those that love Carnival, no offense intended.

I took none :)

I hope maybe one day you'll try a ship like the PRIDE. It is beautiful. Staff was great :)

Archived