Victorian Hotel

mrstay

We are going to be in Vancouver for a cruise leaving in Sept. 07. We will be flying in the night before and we (three couples) are looking for hotel for one night. We are not super picky. The main thing is that it is clean and safe. We do not want to pay alot of money, so please do not recommend anything over $100 US a night. We are really only going to be there to sleep and leave the next morning on the cruise. I saw Victorian Hotel. Has anyone ever stayed there? Any comments on it?

Thanks

Tammy, I went by the hotel. It is quite old, but very charming. It is not in the best part of town, but the area is certainly safe enough. It is close to the theatres and main library and a block from Gastown. It was a Victorian style rooming house that has been completely refurbished in the past couple of years. I took a tour through a couple of the rooms and they were on the small size, but have very high ceilings and so seem quite roomy. The bathroom was attached to the room and it was modern and very clean. In fact, the entire hotel seemed to be very clean and well kept. I particularly loved the old wooden floors that have been kept and refinished. The hotel reminded me of the kind you find in Europe. Older, a bit pokey, but furnished with lots of antiques, etc. There is no air conditioning. Normally in September that would not be a problem. As well, there is no elevator. There are about 10 stairs from the street to the front entrance. And then there are stairs up to the second and third floors. Something to consider if you have a lot of luggage with you. I think it would be about a $6-$8 taxi ride to the cruise terminal.

If I can answer any more questions, let me know.

Tammy, I went by the hotel. It is quite old, but very charming. It is not in the best part of town, but the area is certainly safe enough. It is close to the theatres and main library and a block from Gastown. It was a Victorian style rooming house that has been completely refurbished in the past couple of years. I took a tour through a couple of the rooms and they were on the small size, but have very high ceilings and so seem quite roomy. The bathroom was attached to the room and it was modern and very clean. In fact, the entire hotel seemed to be very clean and well kept. I particularly loved the old wooden floors that have been kept and refinished. The hotel reminded me of the kind you find in Europe. Older, a bit pokey, but furnished with lots of antiques, etc. There is no air conditioning. Normally in September that would not be a problem. As well, there is no elevator. There are about 10 stairs from the street to the front entrance. And then there are stairs up to the second and third floors. Something to consider if you have a lot of luggage with you. I think it would be about a $6-$8 taxi ride to the cruise terminal.

Thank you so much for going that extra mile for me. We are not into the big, impersonal hotel that most want to stay in. We have traveled Europe several times and prefer that feel and personal service.

You mentioned that it was a block from Gastown. I was in Vancouver for one day on a cruise and took the trolley tour and only slightly remember Gastown. Can you tell me alittle about the area? We are three couples from Houston, all between 40 and 60. We do not mind walking. Is there anything worth seeing in that area?

Thanks again.

Tammy, I haven't been down to Gastown in ages. It's gotten quite seedy in the past few years. I wouldn't recommend it in the evening for a stroll. You can check the Vancouver tourism website for a description of the area.

I think it would be great to go for a walk up Robson Street from the Public Library to Stanley Park. Lots of shops, restaurants, etc. And very lively in the evening. You could walk back along the seawall along Coal Harbour which brings you to Canada Place cruise terminal. The Victorian Hotel is a bit of a walk from Robson Street (4 blocks) and a bit further from Canada Place. But, if you are into strolling in the late afternoon/early evening, that would be a nice walk for the group of you. There is nothing in the way of touristy stuff near the Victorian Hotel.

Tammy, I haven't been down to Gastown in ages. It's gotten quite seedy in the past few years. I wouldn't recommend it in the evening for a stroll. You can check the Vancouver tourism website for a description of the area.

I think it would be great to go for a walk up Robson Street from the Public Library to Stanley Park. Lots of shops, restaurants, etc. And very lively in the evening. You could walk back along the seawall along Coal Harbour which brings you to Canada Place cruise terminal. The Victorian Hotel is a bit of a walk from Robson Street (4 blocks) and a bit further from Canada Place. But, if you are into strolling in the late afternoon/early evening, that would be a nice walk for the group of you. There is nothing in the way of touristy stuff near the Victorian Hotel.

Thanks again. Our flight will not get us to the hotel until about 10PM. We have the next day to sightsee until the ship leaves. It seems as we will probably do the Trolley thing again, as it is an easy way to see everything and not rent a car. It seems as though it would not be a far walk to the trolley stop. We would not be out in the evening as we arrive too late. Thank you so much for your help with this.

A great job by Traveller123 Eh?.

Gas town would not be a problem in the daytime..

late evening & night time info would be correct.

• 11 years later...

traveler123 I have 2 options this the Victorian or the BW Sands, some Victorian rooms are cheaper because the bathroom is shared.

Your opinion please

We want to do 2 or 3 days pre cruise @ Vancouver, Eclipse sailing to Hawaii.

Thanks and Merry Christmas

Gerardo