Hooray ! Splendour is Going

What strikes me as funny is that we now consider ships the size of Splendour to be "small" ships! I remember when the Vision class were launched they were some of the largest and most luxurious oceangoing passenger vessels ever built. It's funny how things have changed in 20 years! When the Vision and Radiance class ships leave the RCCL fleet for good, so will I. I am not interested in cruising at a suburban shopping mall at sea.

Splendour of the Seas

69,130 GRT

867 feet long

105 feet wide

2076 passengers

735 crew

Vision of the Seas

78491 GRT

915 feet long

106 feet wide

2416 passengers

783 crew

Edited by scottamiller

Ive sailed on Brilliance and Liberty, and enjoyed my overall experience on Brilliance much more. Going on Adventure in October and am hoping it is a good mix of my two other experiences. I cant imagine Royal getting rid of Radiance ships anytime soon. Cant speak about ships smaller than that.

What strikes me as funny is that we now consider ships the size of Splendour to be "small" ships! I remember when the Vision class were launched they were some of the largest and most luxurious oceangoing passenger vessels ever built. It's funny how things have changed in 20 years! When the Vision and Radiance class ships leave the RCCL fleet for good, so will I. I am not interested in cruising at a suburban shopping mall at sea.

I think it is just RCI passengers that refer to them as 'small-ships' due to the development of Oasis. I classify them as 'mid-size' as small ship designates 'luxury' for me. The soon to premier Viking Star is a small ship.

Yes, it was the development of another Serenade, the Silja Serenade passenger ferry that first brought us the 'promenade' in 1990 that was eventually developed into RCI's Voyager and Freedom class ships built at the same shipyard. When I am onboard these ships it is amazing how much they have the same feel as the Scandinavian passenger ferries that were their inspiration, especially if staying in a promenade cabin.

I do understand the popularity of the large ships, but sure hope RCI will keep or develop 'mid-size' ships as well.

No, I hadn't hoped to cause confusion and I resent your assumption that I posted for this negative reason.

You are well off the mark in your assumption about me wanting to cause confusion.

I am simply glad (IMHO) that the smaller ships are going. I don't like them and it'll make more room to keep the bigger better ones (IMHO) coming.

I for one, tend to agree with you. it could be that the time will come that RC spins off all the small ones (relative term) to focus on the bigger ships. it's just evolution. It is difficult to be all things to all people.

I for one, tend to agree with you. it could be that the time will come that RC spins off all the small ones (relative term) to focus on the bigger ships. it's just evolution. It is difficult to be all things to all people.

This is true. Anytime you make a big changes, you attract new customers and alienate old ones at the same time. If RCL is being pulled in too many different directions, and all are profitable, creating a 3rd mass market cruise line may not be a bad idea either? :confused:

Good point - the new big ships have limited ports that suck. We have no interest whatsoever in Oasis or Allure for that reason.

Don't know why anyone would be "happy" to see a ship go.......:rolleyes:

These the the ports that Oasis and Allure visit, through next year:

Ft. Lauderdale

Nassau

St. Thomas

St. Maarten

Labadee

Falmouth

Cozumel

Barcelona, Spain

Malaga, Spain

Rome

Naples, Italy

Palma De Mallorca, Balearic Islands

Marseille, France

La Spezia, Italy

Thank you John&LaLa :)

Splendour was actually sold to TUI Cruises who will in turn lease her to the Island Cruises brand of Thomson Cruises, which is one of 3 cruise lines operated by TUI AG their holding company.

TUI Cruises is partially owned through joint venture by RCL, the holding company that wholly owns RCI, Celebrity and Azamara.

In turn, they partially own the Splendour.

TUI Cruises has 5 additional new mid-size ships on order to add to their current fleet of 3 and all will be delivered one each year over the next five years. Two of their ships are former Celebrity ships and they have one new build delivered last year.

TUI AG also partially owns Thomson Cruises and Hapag-Lloyd Cruises, where RCL are not directly involved.

The Splendour will replace the only current ship operated by Island Cruises, the Island Escape.

The Island Escape was operated for years by RCI as the Viking Serenade between 1990 and 2002 and it is fitting that she will be replaced by a RCI ship, Splendour.

Viking Serenade was owned during this time by Norwegian, Wilh. Wilhelmsen Holding ASA and leased to RCI in a similar relationship.

Wilh. Wilhelmsen Holding ASA has always been one of the largest owners of Royal Caribbean.[/quote

Thank you for all the information and the ship will still be sailing albeit under another name.

I don't really see why anyone would want to celebrate the loss of a ship. I am sure there are folks who have made some wonderful memories on a particular ship and are sad to see it go.

We have only cruised twice--both times on Oasis. We loved the experience, however, because we enjoy the ports too, we have booked a cruise on the Splendour in Sept. This is a bucket list trip for us and we are excited to see what a smaller ship is like. Then I'm sure we will be sad with the rest of you.

I don't really see why anyone would want to celebrate the loss of a ship. I am sure there are folks who have made some wonderful memories on a particular ship and are sad to see it go.

We have only cruised twice--both times on Oasis. We loved the experience, however, because we enjoy the ports too, we have booked a cruise on the Splendour in Sept. This is a bucket list trip for us and we are excited to see what a smaller ship is like. Then I'm sure we will be sad with the rest of you.

Generally, the loss of an older ship means the addition of a newer one. Change is good

Generally, the loss of an older ship means the addition of a newer one. Change is good

Be Careful what you wish for.......Cruising out of Cape Liberty on Royal has doubled :eek:

Enjoy the Splendour. It really shows how ships for some have become a commodity like anything else. It is nice to see your sentiments about the 'bucket list' cruise.

While I have sailed on every class of RCI ship and find something I like about them all and I have experienced most other cruise lines apart from RCI, when I was planning a special multi-generational family cruise, I chose a Vision class ship right away.

I wonder how many folks were sad when these fine ships left their original owners? Change is inevitable. Look at it this way, Splendour can now be the queen of the Thompson fleet, vs the poor step sister she eventually became at Royal

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

Great news for us brits,

hope it is replacing the Island Escape for the same offers.

Island Escape is an all inclusive package, price including flights, all grats and drinks.

also pound sterling onboard.

Cannot wait to see the prices.

thanks for the info

j

If these new ships were smaller and held less passengers, would that not flip the supply and demand more in their favor and possibly cause prices to increase even higher than they are now? I think the smaller ships can be fun and relaxing, but for those with families the big ones have a lot more to offer.