FLL, UBER or LYFT ?

Delta Dear

We had such horrible experiences in FLL several years ago using taxi cabs, I refuse to use them again. We may need to get from hotel, Hyatt Place, to port so I have questions about both services. We've never used either service before in any location. Some posters have suggested using UBER or LYFT instead of the shuttle the hotel offers for a fee. They said the cost is about the same. Thoughts ?

Is one better than the other ? We are older with some mobility challenges, some vehicles are difficult for us to get in and out of, any suggestions on how to manage ? Thank you for your insights.

My elderly parents are mobility challenged so shuttles are hard for them due to the high step up and lack of grab bars. UberX (the cheapest version of Uber) requires drivers to have at least “normal” sedan-type cars which my parents can get in and out of easily. If we have too much luggage I’ll order UberXL which typically means an SUV but even those seem to be lower to the ground with more grab bar-type things than the 15-passenger shuttles with bench seats.

Just make sure to have the Uber (or Lyft) app already loaded on your phone and your credit card info already saved to your profile. Then when you’re ready, step outside the hotel and open your app, type in where you want to go and select “current location” for the from location and it will tell you when a car will be there and the estimated price and then you can hit “request”. At Hyatt Place Ft. Lauderdale Airport & Cruise Port we’ve never had to wait more than 7 minutes for the driver to show up after requesting a ride. I’ve used Uber from there at least 5 times. It’s much more convenient since it’s on “my time” and not the shuttle’s schedule, cheaper and in my opinion easier since after requesting the driver, I’m done since the payment is automatic.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums