Is Celebrity worth $400 more than Princess?

ilymom!

We're booking a last minute cruise in February. I've researched and thought I wanted a balcony on the Celebrity Silhouette. However, the Regal Princess is $400+ less for their balcony. Is it really worth that much more? We've only cruised on RC, Disney and Carnival before. We're ok with both itineraries and neither includes drinks. We've heard Celebrity is nicer but is it really that much nicer?

Thank you!

Edited by ilymom!

I've sailed on both of those ships, and if the itinerary is the same, I would say no. I love both cruise lines, and Celebrity has the better cabins by far (especially bathrooms), but I don't think I would pay an extra $400 for Celebrity, unless Celebrity was going somewhere I'd never been before that wasn't on the Princess itinerary. Is this the same general time of year?

I've sailed on both of those ships, and if the itinerary is the same, I would say no. I love both cruise lines, and Celebrity has the better cabins by far (especially bathrooms), but I don't think I would pay an extra $400 for Celebrity, unless Celebrity was going somewhere I'd never been before that wasn't on the Princess itinerary. Is this the same general time of year?

Thank you! This is exactly what I wanted, advice from someone who has done both. Yes, same week. Itinerary doesn't really matter to us. It's a Caribbean cruise. The Princess would be unobstructed Verandah vs. Balcony on Celebrity. To get the Deluxe Verandah on Princess it would be a $200 difference.

We have cruised both lines, however we are through with Princess. Very unhappy with their product - food not as good, maintenance of ships not as good, value not as good as Celebrity. Sometimes, Celebrity fares are less than Princess for the same category stateroom and itinerary, so it all averages out. We are sticking with Celebrity from now on. This is just our experience and opinion which is what you asked for. You will find others on CC who will vehemently disagree with me and that is fine too.

Edited by El Crucero

We have cruised both lines, however we are through with Princess. Very unhappy with their product - food not as good, maintenance of ships not as good, value not as good as Celebrity. Sometimes,

Celebrity fares are less than Princess for the same category stateroom and itinerary, so it all averages out. We are sticking with Celebrity from now on. This is just our experience and opinion which is what you asked for. You will find others on CC who will vehemently disagree with me and that is fine too.

Thank you. I know it's so subjective that's why I can't decide. Have you been on the Regal? I think I might be leaning towards spending more money and going with Celebrity.

Thank you. I know it's so subjective that's why I can't decide. Have you been on the Regal? I think I might be leaning towards spending more money and going with Celebrity.

I enjoy both very much, partial to Celebrity. With that said, we LOVED the Regal, and would sail on her again in a heartbeat. You can't go wrong with whichever you decide, imo. Are the itineraries the same?

No, have never been on the Regal. Have been on both the Reflection and Solstice, sister ships of the Silhouette, and will cruise on the Silly in 2018. The balcony cabins on Celebrity are larger with better furniture (settee rather than side chair in sitting area) and the bathroom is larger (with glass shower enclosure and no clinging shower curtain) than Princess. Those are a deal breaker for us, among other things. If you can swing for Aqua class on Celebrity, I think you will be very impressed and pleased.

Not to be mean or sarcastic but If you are a bottom troller than NO.

I am sure if you are trying to get a bargain cruise than there are much cheaper fares on other lines. Personally I have sailed on many other cruise lines that others may consider trash and really haven’t found much difference in the mainstream cruise lines. Enjoyed the dining, entertainment and being at sea. Service has been great on all of them. The cabins and ship are cleaner and almost spotless and unless you are Raymond’s mother Maria I am sure cleaner than most people’s house.

I feel that the entertainment is better on Princess and their late night shows are better along with the lounge acts. They also have a true piano bar. Food, drinks and etc aren’t much different. Cheaper specialty restaurants on Princess.

Only you can determine what the difference in cost is worth.

That is my opinion and I am sure many others will disagree.

Happy cruising and merry Christmas. 🌊🛳🇺🇸🌅🎄

I love both the Regal Princess and Silhouette. There is more entertainment on Regal. Both have great buffets and wine bars. It's really nice to spend a day in the Regal Sanctuary (upcharge, but the most amazing service), but they don't have a nice free solarium like Silhouette. Princess lacks having enough shaded areas for lounge chairs by the pool. Both have good service. The Silhouette is more modern and elegant, and the passengers seem to be more interactive on Celebrity than on Princess...at least that has been my experience. Whatever you decide, have a great time, and see if you can get an upgrade to a deluxe balcony if you go on Regal. By the way, the obstructed balconies on either ship are fine to me, but that's subjective.

I haven't been on Regal Princess, but I've been on several Princess cruises and I do a lot of research.

I think that without the drink package I would pick Regal. The ship is supposedly beautiful. Without the drink package I think you'll find the drinks on Celebrity are more expensive. I also, from what I've read, think you'll find the food on Princess has improved over the last few years, while Celebrity's has gone down. I can't image that Princess' buffet is worse than Celebrity's.

The entertainment on Princess is better.

I don't like the way Princess does Anytime dining at all and that's what's kept me off of them but recently Celebrity's "select" dining has been VERY chaotic.

I'd pick Princess.

300+ days on Celebrity. 150+ days n Princess.

One line might excel in some areas more than the other, but no telling what would be more important to you. Entertainment better on Princess. More live music, better shows. Food a slight nod to Celebrity. Specialty restaurants both good but way more expensive on Celebrity. Cabin a bit larger on Celebrity. Closet set-up better on Princess.

For $400 (assuming a 7 day cruise) I'd be sailing Princess.