Do you enjoy packing for a cruise?

bethshebas

OMG! Day of, night before [emoji50] I would have a heart attack. We start months before and I use OneNote to make a grid of items. We have already ordered swimsuits for next August lol [emoji23].

I label each activity for me and hubby, and then either add a picture if I know for sure what item goes there or a description if I still need to purchase.

2 alternate swimsuits and dress outfits in case of wardrobe malfunctions lol

I use packing cubes which are the best ever. One each for daytime looks, swim, dress and pajamas/undies. Makes knowing where something is a lot easier.

I also keep my toiletries and meds pre stocked (restocked after each trip).

I make everyone a booklet of their boarding passes, info about excursions, info about the ship, deck plans, luggage tags and photo page of who’s on the trip as a souvenir. They can throw their passports/BC and flight ticket extras in their too.

I use my book to collect the Fun times and other momentos and it’s already pretty much organized before we get home.

I ❤️ travel planning.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I love the planning also and I'm very organized, I just hate packing.

I don't enjoy packing except for the fact that when I am done if I feel like I have done a good job anticipating what we will need it is a sense of accomplishment.

If we are traveling to a warm place and it is the winter about a month out I put my suitcase on the bed in our guestroom and start to fill it based on what I will need. Same for the carryon. I am usually done in a week or so then let it sit. A couple of days before our cruise I take everything out to double check, put it back in, zipper it closed and put it by the backdoor.

If I will need the clothes I will be packing all the non-clothing items go in like toiletries, totebags, snacks, etc. then

the week before I pack the clothes.

Unpacking is easier. We put all the dirty laundry in a plastic bag in one suitcase and all the souvenirs and clean clothes that are left over in the other. Works for us.

This is a great topic. I'm glad someone brought it up.

As for me, I love all manner of vacation preparation. It's a part of the excitement of a vacation, and helps get me through the drab winter weather until my cruise. Like many folks, I edit a list on my computer, so I don't miss anything.

For me, the biggest challenge is finishing my laundry before vacation, so I can have it all ready a day or two before departure. I start lining things up to go in the suitcase about a week before, including travel forms and luggage cabin tags. I then pack my suitcase the night before. I also take advantage of the laundry special on my cruises, so I can come home with clean clothes, and not have to do laundry when unpacking. Having to do such a chore immediately after is a real bummer to me. For this reason, I also try to clean my house the week before (as if expecting company). That way, I will be welcomed home to a fresh, clean house when I return home.

Unpacking, I have mixed emotions. It is a reminder that the vacation is over, and time to go back into the real world. But often, I reserve my next cruise onboard, so I have that to look forward to, and begin planning all over as well. I also look over all the souvenirs and photos I got while on vacation, and those memories carry me forth.

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

I look at packing as a necessary evil. I always have my toiletry/meds kit full and ready to go , but just keep a list of whats needed for clothing. I provide my kids a list of what they need as well. Its generic in nature ( 5 shorts, 2 dinner pants, 4 polos, 2 swimsuits etc) We generally look at the list and verify that we have what we need about a month out. We dont pack until the day before or of (depending on what time we blast off). I am a fastideous planner when it comes to other aspects of our travel, but Im alot more laid back when it comes to the "stuff".

Sent from my SM-N920V using Forums mobile app

• 2 months later...
Thanks to the OP for starting this thread - fun! Packing can stress me out, but not nearly as much as it used to. I keep a bag of toiletries packed - before each trip I refill any applicable items. I have a list I keep on my computer that I print out for each cruise. Over the past few years I've really streamlined the list by making notes after each trip of what we took but didn't need and what we took and actually needed/used, especially when it comes to clothes. We are now to the point that we use all we take and take no more than we need, except for meds. I wouldn't want to be stuck at sea and run short on those. If we drive to our embarkation port, we now only need one large suitcase and one carry-on. When we fly we try to get by with one checked and carry the rest so that we are staying w/in weight limits with the checked piece. A couple of months ago this list file became corrupted, and it wouldn't open. OMG! Panic attack! I FINALLY got it to open in plain text so that I just had to reformat it. Whew! No way could I have recreated all of that from memory! I only begin packing a day or two prior and that's everything but the clothes. We shove the selected clothes into the suitcase the morning that we leave. Taking no more than we need also makes it much easier and faster when packing the last day of the cruise to go home. This system works great for us, although I do agree unpacking post cruise is sad. :(

Mrs H - as a newbie to cruising, can I beg, borrow or steal a copy of your packing list please

Paul

Mrs H - as a newbie to cruising, can I beg, borrow or steal a copy of your packing list please

Sure! Here you go.

What to bring on your cruise vacation

This is a starter list to cover the essentials, and you will probably want to bring much more. I have attempted to sort these for ease of packing, and continue to try and improve this list with each trip. Let me know of comments or suggestions to this list. This list assumes you are travelling with Norwegian Cruise Line during winter, but can be used for other cruises as well.

In your main suitcase:

Clothing for a typical weeklong trip: shirts, pants, socks, shoes, underwear, etc.

Party costumes (optional) NCL is famous for their "white hot/glow" party

Swimsuit, bathrobe, sunscreen, sandals

Sun hat, sunglasses, fanny pack, insect repellent

Maps and travel guides of destinations

Jacket / raincoat, perhaps umbrella

Winter coat, gloves (for when you return home, brrrr)

In your carry-on bag, be sure to bring:

Extra change of clothes

Toiletry kit: toothbrush & paste, soap, shampoo, brush/comb, deodorant, razor, etc.

Medicines: prescriptions, sleep pills, seasickness, allergies, pains, etc.

Camera and plenty of batteries, phone and charger

Pens for filling in travel forms, small roll of tape

Airline and cruise ticket reservations, photo ID, and passport (might use wallet for these)

Snacks, cash for souvenirs / taxi fares / meals while in transit

Tablet / books to read while in transit, travel guides are good

Jacket, earplugs, and blindfold, to make the transit restful

Optional things to bring:

small flashlight (so you don’t stumble in a dark cabin rocking about)

board games, deck of cards, ping-pong paddles and balls

formal outfits such as tux or dress

checkbook to reserve next cruise

Tips:

Tag all bags with your name and return contact / shipping info.

Also tag your bags with the cruise cabin labels before you leave home.

Leave room in your luggage for souvenirs to bring back.

Check that your camera is set to the correct date.

Have fun!

Sure! Here you go.

What to bring on your cruise vacation

This is a starter list to cover the essentials, and you will probably want to bring much more. I have attempted to sort these for ease of packing, and continue to try and improve this list with each trip. Let me know of comments or suggestions to this list. This list assumes you are travelling with Norwegian Cruise Line during winter, but can be used for other cruises as well.

In your main suitcase:

Clothing for a typical weeklong trip: shirts, pants, socks, shoes, underwear, etc.

Party costumes (optional) NCL is famous for their "white hot/glow" party

Swimsuit, bathrobe, sunscreen, sandals

Sun hat, sunglasses, fanny pack, insect repellent

Maps and travel guides of destinations

Jacket / raincoat, perhaps umbrella

Winter coat, gloves (for when you return home, brrrr)

In your carry-on bag, be sure to bring:

Extra change of clothes

Toiletry kit: toothbrush & paste, soap, shampoo, brush/comb, deodorant, razor, etc.

Medicines: prescriptions, sleep pills, seasickness, allergies, pains, etc.

Camera and plenty of batteries, phone and charger

Pens for filling in travel forms, small roll of tape

Airline and cruise ticket reservations, photo ID, and passport (might use wallet for these)

Snacks, cash for souvenirs / taxi fares / meals while in transit

Tablet / books to read while in transit, travel guides are good

Jacket, earplugs, and blindfold, to make the transit restful

Optional things to bring:

small flashlight (so you don’t stumble in a dark cabin rocking about)

board games, deck of cards, ping-pong paddles and balls

formal outfits such as tux or dress

checkbook to reserve next cruise

Tips:

Tag all bags with your name and return contact / shipping info.

Also tag your bags with the cruise cabin labels before you leave home.

Leave room in your luggage for souvenirs to bring back.

Check that your camera is set to the correct date.

Have fun!

This list was not posted by me, Mrs H, but it's somewhat similar to mine. Your clothes list all depends on your cruise destination. For instance, an Alaska list is totally different from a Caribbean list. And we never bring formal attire. My husband brings one suit and I bring a dressy blouse to go with black dress pants for formal night. On our first cruise we brought a different outfit for every night - big mistake. It's just that much more unneeded items to pack. We also wear items more than once, especially for dinner. My #1 tip I give to new cruisers is to lay out all of the clothes you THINK you'll need - put half of them back. And you don't need ump-teen pairs of shoes! I know people who bring a suitcase with nothing but shoes in it. We bring one pair of dress shoes each, a good pair of walking shoes, and flip-flops for the warmer/beach destinations. Bathrobes are sometimes provided by the cruise line - depends on the line, and sometimes which loyalty tier you are at with that line. Make sure you have all of your boarding documents in hand when you arrive at the terminal on embarkation day, along with your passport. Bring travel sized toiletries. For the cruises that we drive to, we have one large "checked" piece of luggage and one carry-on size. That's it. When we fly we try to only check one piece and we each have a carry-on or backpack. I hear so many new cruisers say they only used maybe half of what they brought. And the less you bring, the less you have to pack on that last day. I have a list for each destination such as Alaska, Pacific Coastal, and Caribbean. Not sure how to post them on here, but if you search these boards for first time cruiser tips, you'll find way more than you ever imagined! I think there's a separate thread just for first time cruiser questions. Good luck to you! You'll be hooked after your first cruise, I promise!

• 3 weeks later...

Packing and planning are as much fun as the cruise itself - call me OCD - I start packing 4-5 months before - have a check list - an according file for all paperwork - each port has a slot - what we are doing etc - makes the cruise less stressful - cause I have everything for every situation

• 4 weeks later...

Yes, I do enjoy packing for a cruise!

I enjoy organizing.

On our first cruise, though, we grossly overpacked; on our second, we packed less, but it was still too much.

On the way home from our second cruise, we made a list of things we'd actually used -- I'm still using that same list. I have it laminated, and I keep it in my travel notebook. Now I pack "just enough": everything we need, nothing we don't.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I don't HATE packing for a cruise, but I don't love it either. I do a lot of planning and listmaking on what needs to be packed - I usually start a spreadsheet/list several months before. Getting all laundry done before packing (so essentials like underwear, pj's, same season basics can be packed) is probably the most stressful part, but then when I'm actually packing my bags, I'm usually up late at night and exhausted, so I hate that aspect of it.

The research and planning I really enjoy. And the aftermath is yuck - unpacking and putting the suitcases away is the pits.

• 4 weeks later...

I travel a lot for my work, and I can pack for a week away in 15 minutes on Sunday night because I’ve done it so often.

However, that has nothing to do with the way I pack for a cruise... I have a file folder of checklists from all our cruises, with notes about what we didn’t use. I have the new list compiled and printed out with the valises on the dining room table four weeks before we leave. I’ll put a few things in every weekend, though obviously a lot of things can’t go in until the weekend before. There are always things for the very last minute--making certain we have phone chargers, that sort of thing. I’ll look at the passports 6 times between the house and the airport.

I haven’t really thought about it, but I suppose I do that because it makes the upcoming fun seem more real. I’ll put cruise videos on Youtube and start gathering stuff...It helps build the anticipation.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I absolutely love to. I am a minimalist when it comes to traveling so I will only have my 1 suitcase and 1 duffel bag. But I spend alot of time deciding what to pack. I usually get my suitcase out a couple weeks ahead of time and start sticking things in a few at a time. The few things in the duffel bag stay in it the entire trip unless I need them. And when I get back home I usually have everything unpacked and put away within an hour. The g/f is very thorough with her packing, so if I need a tums or an ibuprofen she will have what I need. :)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I love the packing and prep! I read other people's lists and get ideas of more things to bring. It's not inconvenient -- everything is in smaller bags or pouches so I can get the cabin set up in about 10 minutes.

And we both bring different nice outfits for every evening. More this time because we know about afternoon tea! My mother is old-school and wants the gracious cruises of yesteryear. I'm a pet sitter so I spend all day, every day, in faded baggy clothes that smell of wet dog. On a cruise I dress up and go to all the photo ops, too.

But I figure we'll keep the everyday clothes and undies down to about enough for half the trip this time. I'm bringing a little bottle of Woolite, and some detergent pods and dryer sheets. I have laundry day picked out on the schedule.

Now meds, I pack under the assumption that we're both going to have terrible colds, migraines, seasickness, and the runs for ten days. We haven't yet but if so, I'm ready.

Also have a complete wound care kit. Because of the time at Mahogany Bay that I needed a bandaid and the guy photographed my injury, took a statement, and wrote up an incident report before he would let me have it! I'm not exaggerating! So now I'll just take care of those little things myself.

• 1 month later...

I have already started my ritual.  I'm a theme traveler, my attire is based on where we are sailing and ports. Panama,Mexico, Central America. Colorful poly/micro blend shirts. musical themed. 

• 1 month later...

I pack all my documents a few days in advance, as well as the camera, cell phone cords, etc. All the items that I know I NEED to have. As far as clothing goes, I shove it in a backpack 10 minutes before I walk out the door. I get to do me while on a cruise, and most likely, I won't see most of the people on the cruise again after I get off the ship, so I don't put a lot of thought into what I wear. I only need to impress me 🤣

• Like 1