Train from Rome to Venice

slyster

My brother will be flying into Rome, visiting and then continuing on to Venice where he embarks for his cruise this December.

They are staying at the Vatican hotel. Can someone provide info on taking the train (where to depart from, website for train tickets, etc) from Rome to Venice? He was considering a flight but I told him a train ride would be different and probably cheaper.

I’m trying to convince him to stay on the canal in Venice, but he’s considering staying close to the Venice port. Any advice or feedback would be appreciated too. I’m assuming the canal hotels cost more.

Thanks in advance!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

There are dozens of threads on both topics here.

Train is very easy, about 3.5 hours by high speed train from Termini to Venice. Tickets can be purchased online, cheapest fares, about 4 months in advance.

You will get dozens of opinions on where to stay. A lot depends on your mobility and your luggage. Things are expensive in Venice, and fairly easy to get around, with a little research. We stayed at the Hilton, a very nice hotel, but there are dozens of places to stay.

There are dozens of threads on both topics here.

Train is very easy, about 3.5 hours by high speed train from Termini to Venice. Tickets can be purchased online, cheapest fares, about 4 months in advance.

You will get dozens of opinions on where to stay. A lot depends on your mobility and your luggage. Things are expensive in Venice, and fairly easy to get around, with a little research. We stayed at the Hilton, a very nice hotel, but there are dozens of places to stay.

Weird. I tried searching for train from Rome To Venice. I only checked a pages worth and didn’t get anything specific.

I’ll try to dig deeper too. Thanks

Your brother would want to take one of the Frecce (high speed) trains from Rome to Venice. They are quite nice. "Frecce" means "Arrows" in Italian, and the train that travels between Rome and Venice is fast...

The departure point from Rome is Roma Termini (Rome's main station). In Venice, he will want to alight at Venezia Santa Lucia station. You'll need to put those names into the search on the trenitalia.com website, which is the best place to purchase tickets. Better prices are often available when you buy a few months in advance, but if your brother is unsure of his travel times, he can wait until a day or a few days before.

In Venice, if your brother stays near Piazzale Roma (the most convenient place for those embarking on a cruise), he can still stay in a hotel on a canal -- he just won't be close to San Marco or other well-known tourist areas.

This website has great info on hotel choices near Piazzale Roma on this page: https://europeforvisitors.com/venice/articles/venice-cruise-terminal-hotels-piazzale-roma.htm

I sort of agree with you that there are better places to stay in Venice than Piazzale Roma -- but it IS convenient. (I also think there are better, more central places to stay in Rome than near the Vatican....)

Thank you both so much! Cruisemom, I think being on the canal and convenient would be more important to him especially never being there before.

As for the train info, I thank you both for that too!

Oh and his time in Rome is short and being a pastor he wants to spend his day visiting all the Vatican stuff. He really excited about that!

Your brother would want to take one of the Frecce (high speed) trains from Rome to Venice. They are quite nice. "Frecce" means "Arrows" in Italian, and the train that travels between Rome and Venice is fast...

The departure point from Rome is Roma Termini (Rome's main station). In Venice, he will want to alight at Venezia Santa Lucia station. You'll need to put those names into the search on the trenitalia.com website, which is the best place to purchase tickets. Better prices are often available when you buy a few months in advance, but if your brother is unsure of his travel times, he can wait until a day or a few days before.

In Venice, if your brother stays near Piazzale Roma (the most convenient place for those embarking on a cruise), he can still stay in a hotel on a canal -- he just won't be close to San Marco or other well-known tourist areas.

This website has great info on hotel choices near Piazzale Roma on this page: https://europeforvisitors.com/venice/articles/venice-cruise-terminal-hotels-piazzale-roma.htm

I sort of agree with you that there are better places to stay in Venice than Piazzale Roma -- but it IS convenient. (I also think there are better, more central places to stay in Rome than near the Vatican....)

Cruisemom, is the train station in Venice near these hotels? I sent him info on Hotel Santa Chiara, Hotel Olimpia, and Ca'Doge Inn.

Thanks so much!

Cruisemom, is the train station in Venice near these hotels? I sent him info on Hotel Santa Chiara, Hotel Olimpia, and Ca'Doge Inn.

Thanks so much!

Yes -- if you do some poking around on that site, you'll find a lot of good info on getting around in Venice, but basically:

Piazzale Roma is the major transportation hub of Venice. It's where buses and trains drop off folks arriving in Venice (because, with a few exceptions, wheeled vehicles can't go further), and it's also where the People Mover is located. The People Mover is one of the ways to get to the cruise port, which is not far from Piazzale Roma, but not really walkable with luggage.

Your brother would arrive on a train at Santa Lucia train station, which is (I believe) one bridge from Piazzale Roma. Some hotels are actually on this Piazzale, and others are close (within a bridge or two...)

This is why the Piazzale Roma area is favored by cruisers -- it's an easy arrival from the airport (by bus) or at the train station, and then it's easy to get to the port via the People Mover. (I'm going to assume that his ship is docking in the large port, Marittima...)

You could also arguably take a taxi from Piazzale Roma to the cruise port, but the taxi drivers charge an outrageous amount for a short drive.