Solo on Navigator

Kilmarlic

This will be my 4th cruise. All have been with Royal and always with other family members. Originally this November cruise was also going to be with either my step sister or a cousin. But then I had an idea....or several brain farts....this trip is on MY bucket list...I paid for it...I'm the one working fulltime....I'm juggling family (multiple generations under my roof) obligations....I NEED A BREAK.

The answer was right there in my cruise planner. I called the TA and streamlined that reservation. 1 guest. ME!!!

I'm not sure what I'm looking forward to the absolute most. Could it be the cruise itself? The alone time? The new Crossword puzzle book that I haven't opened yet? The new titles that I've loaded on my kindle to read? The excursions that are exactly what I want to do? The choice of where I want to eat? When I want to eat? How about that drink package? Let's not forget that no one else will be sharing my bathroom or bedroom space. I don't have to remind anyone else to take their meds. Their health and happiness has absolutely NOTHING to do with me.

Why haven't I done this sooner?

I have been reluctant to fly alone. I don't love flying and thought that I'd feel safer traveling with someone else. That line of thought is malarkey. My traveling companions have never been pilots or aircraft mechanics. They couldn't help me change a tire on my bike. If anything they've added to my list of worries. Can they keep up changing gates? Do they have all their documents? id? I tend to go in mother hen mode and assume responsibility for those in my "care". They've been perfectly happy to let me assume that role of planner.

My last cruise was the turning point. My "AHA" moment of sorts. Traveling companion "enjoyed" poor health the entire trip. Couldn't be bothered getting dressed to go get something to eat. Wanted me to order Room service for her. Claimed she didn't know how. WHAT???!!! I came back from dinner to find the room service tray sitting on MY BED. Not on the desk. Not on the nightstand. Right smack in the middle of my freshly made bed. That's just 1 example from the 7 night trip.

My divorce was final this past year. My sons are both grown, married and have started families of their own. My step father passed away and my Mom moved in with me because she didn't feel comfortable living alone. My youngest son and his family are building a new home. Their previous home sold much quicker than expected so they moved in with me. My step sister's poor health ( NOT!!) keeps her from experiencing life (ie. holding a job) so she moved in too. There is literally NO ROOM AT THE INN!!

So if yall see me getting really, really excited for this coming trip, please celebrate with me. I'm flying out Thanksgiving Day and setting sail on Friday. No cooking. No dishes. NO WORRIES!!!

- Iris:')

Hope you have a great trip. I did a solo TA on the Navigator a few years back and had a very nice cruise. It definitely sounds like a cruise break is exactly what you need. A little me time where you can just pamper yourself a little. Good luck and enjoy your cruise.

OMG you sooooo deserve this vacation - that is way too much!

I started cruising solo in 2010 and have loved it ever since. I've had a couple cruises with people since then but my preferred method is solo where I have my own space.

You will have an amazing time - you can move at your own pace and do what you want when you. I'm doing my first solo TA in November but my roll call is absolutely amazing. We've arranged pre cruise plans and also all my tours are with roll call members but I will still find time to spend with myself and realx on my balcony with a book and a glass of wine.

I can't wait! Have an amazing time - please come back and share how it all went :)

Iris - Congratulations!!! You sound EXACTLY like me! I am booked on my first solo vacation that starts in just 50 days.... 9 whole days of NOT worrying about making other people happy or taking care of them (home, work, etc) I am excited about all of the things you are! I could have written your post. :) Especially enjoying excursions without worrying if the other person is happy, or settling for an excursion that I didn't really want. I booked the beach days, diving days, food tour days for ME. I even booked the Chef's Table for myself!! AND I splurged on a cove balcony so I can enjoy my coffee on the balcony... all by myself. :) At first, I felt a little selfish and spoiled... but that lasted about 5 minutes. :) :'):')

You have the right attitude and you will have an AMAZING time!! I don't know you, but I am so happy for you!!

Enjoy!!!

Some brilliant comments. Hope you have a fabulous cruise Iris, you definitely deserve it. I'm off on my 4th solo cruise in October and LOVE it. At the moment I'm enjoying planning what to do in ports and only having to think about me . I still go away once a year with my friends, but secretly I prefer my solo trips . I enjoy their company and we have fun, but find having to make group decisions tiresome sometimes lol! Not to mention the hanging around waiting for people to get ready. It's good to be selfish sometimes

My kids are grown and either on their own or in college. Most of my friends are married and their vacations revolve around their families, so getting someone to join me on a week plus long trip was an exercise in futility. Finally, I had my own A-HA moment and booked a solo cruise. It's a bit painful to see the price jump when you enter in "1" for travelers, but I quieted my internal Grinch and went for it. Had a great time!

Yes there were moments I wish I could share experiences with friends, but I learned how to travel solo (even got the tattoo) and I don't regret it.

I decided to start cruising solo last year. At the time it was just me at home and it was an inexpensive way to see Japan. Then an inexpensive way to see Australia in March. Came home to my 39 yr old son getting a divorce / moving in / weekend & Wednesday custody of his 2 little kids!! Daughters 2nd son graduated HS and shows up on my couch several times a week (1st son senior in college applying to grad school -- so different).

So I really don't mind having hours to myself on the ship + there's always SOMETHING to do! 2 upcoming solos booked on Princess. learned to wait until it's 40% off so I feel like I'm just paying a little more

I just want to thank yall for all the kind words and support from my post yesterday. I've always known that I wasn't the only 1 in this situation and my reasons for cruising solo had to be similar to others. Thanks for reaching out.

Iris you totally deserve to do this for you and only you. And I highly recommend doing it annually (or more !!!). You are only on this planet for a short time - if you spend the whole time doing things for everyone else and forget yourself - then you get to the end and find you have not lived 'your' life.

Have a ball!!

I also hope you have a fantastic time:D. I have been cruising solo for over 15 years now (It is the only way I sail) and after reading your post, well, I now know even more why I don't share with anyone...…..sorry your traveling companion expected you to order for her and she left her tray on your bed? That is just plain rude:(

Enjoy "YOUR CRUISE" and your own time to do whatever you want!!!:D

• 2 months later...
On 8/16/2018 at 11:51 AM, Kilmarlic said:

This will be my 4th cruise. All have been with Royal and always with other family members. Originally this November cruise was also going to be with either my step sister or a cousin. But then I had an idea....or several brain farts....this trip is on MY bucket list...I paid for it...I'm the one working fulltime....I'm juggling family (multiple generations under my roof) obligations....I NEED A BREAK.

The answer was right there in my cruise planner. I called the TA and streamlined that reservation. 1 guest. ME!!!

I'm not sure what I'm looking forward to the absolute most. Could it be the cruise itself? The alone time? The new Crossword puzzle book that I haven't opened yet? The new titles that I've loaded on my kindle to read? The excursions that are exactly what I want to do? The choice of where I want to eat? When I want to eat? How about that drink package? Let's not forget that no one else will be sharing my bathroom or bedroom space. I don't have to remind anyone else to take their meds. Their health and happiness has absolutely NOTHING to do with me.

Why haven't I done this sooner?

I have been reluctant to fly alone. I don't love flying and thought that I'd feel safer traveling with someone else. That line of thought is malarkey. My traveling companions have never been pilots or aircraft mechanics. They couldn't help me change a tire on my bike. If anything they've added to my list of worries. Can they keep up changing gates? Do they have all their documents? id? I tend to go in mother hen mode and assume responsibility for those in my "care". They've been perfectly happy to let me assume that role of planner.

My last cruise was the turning point. My "AHA" moment of sorts. Traveling companion "enjoyed" poor health the entire trip. Couldn't be bothered getting dressed to go get something to eat. Wanted me to order Room service for her. Claimed she didn't know how. WHAT???!!! I came back from dinner to find the room service tray sitting on MY BED. Not on the desk. Not on the nightstand. Right smack in the middle of my freshly made bed. That's just 1 example from the 7 night trip.

My divorce was final this past year. My sons are both grown, married and have started families of their own. My step father passed away and my Mom moved in with me because she didn't feel comfortable living alone. My youngest son and his family are building a new home. Their previous home sold much quicker than expected so they moved in with me. My step sister's poor health ( NOT!!) keeps her from experiencing life (ie. holding a job) so she moved in too. There is literally NO ROOM AT THE INN!!

So if yall see me getting really, really excited for this coming trip, please celebrate with me. I'm flying out Thanksgiving Day and setting sail on Friday. No cooking. No dishes. NO WORRIES!!!

- Iris:')

Hi Iris.

I will be on this sailing as well......going solo for the first time ever! Are you on the cruise critic roll call?  

Donna 

On 10/26/2018 at 10:13 AM, fish6 said:

Hi Iris.

I will be on this sailing as well......going solo for the first time ever! Are you on the cruise critic roll call?  

Donna 

Hi Donna. I'm so very excited for this cruise. My solo status just changed for this cruise as my cousin will now be joining me. Her name is Donna too. You are welcome to pull up a lounge chair (or dining chair) and join us. I look forward to meeting you.  - Iris