Newly Elite...how does free laundry work?

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 03:47 AM.
Norfolk, UK
912 Posts
Joined Oct 2011
Originally posted by skf
I found one just this morning.

I found four...on the same shirt!

We trade our bottles of XX beer (not fond of it) for Perrier. You can mix & match for things you like & dislike in the minibar.
We don't use ice but have to keep reminding the stewards to stop filling the bucket.
Steve & Pete
I just checked my skirt and yep , there's one right there on the hemline

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Sailed:Sea Princess -Caribbean 2009,Sea Princess -Caribbean 2011,Grand Princess-Europe 2011,Caribbean Princess-Caribbean 2012 x2 ,Oceana- Atlantic Coast 2012 ,Grand Princess-Scandinavia 2012,Grand Princess-Europe 2012,Oceana-Europe 2012,Ventura -Europe 2012,Golden Princess-Hawaii 2013,Aurora-Europe 2013,Royal Princess-Maiden Iberia -2013 ,Crown Princess-Fjords-2013,Crown Princess-Europe 2013,Oceana-Iberia 2014, Emerald Princess-Europe 2014, Emerald Princess-Mediterranean 2014, Oriana-Europe 2014, Caribbean Princess-Caribbean 2015, island Princess-Europe-2015, Oceana-Canaries-2015, Emerald Princess-Europe- 2016,
League City, TX
40,078 Posts
Joined Sep 2005
Originally posted by skeetns
The suggestion to take a picture of the filled out laundry slip is a good idea.
We did that on the Caribbean Princess in April.

When the laundry came back a blouse was missing.
We noticed right away when the cabin steward brought the clothes back.

He went to check and a few minutes later came back and asked for our copy of the laundry slip. He left and came back about 20 minutes later and asked us if we were sure we sent the blouse out.

Actually asked us twice more if we were sure we sent it out.
I guess I should have recorded a video of packing the bag to PROVE we sent it out.

They never did find the blouse.
They gave us form to fill out to be reimbursed.
They wanted our copy of the laundry slip, the same slip that our cabin steward asked us for but never gave back. He said the laundry team needed it to find the blouse.
There are several copies of the form, all of which are supposed to be sent out with the laundry. One of the copies is supposed to be returned with the laundry. Did you not get that copy?

Even if you did not get it back, Princess still had two copies of the filled out form. Wonder why they did not look at one of their own copies.
Brisbane, Australia
350 Posts
Joined Dec 2009
With the mini-bar, it can also be exchanged for a bottle of wine. We don't drink scotch, brandy etc. I know a bottle of wine is not to the same value as the combined mini-bar items but, hey, it was all free, and we love the wine. I can't go a day without finding a laundry sticker on an item of clothing. On a long cruise, I send out laundry every two days. Don't pack great quantities as we usually have to fly from Australia or within Australia so the free laundry is great. On my next cruise, 31 days, I suspect there will be a lot of elite passengers - will be interesting to see how the laundry takes to be returned. Great idea of taking a photo of the form!!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Halifax, NS
183 Posts
Joined Jan 2007
Originally posted by caribill
There are several copies of the form, all of which are supposed to be sent out with the laundry. One of the copies is supposed to be returned with the laundry. Did you not get that copy?

Even if you did not get it back, Princess still had two copies of the filled out form. Wonder why they did not look at one of their own copies.
I think there were 3 or 4 copies when it was first filled out.
When the laundry came back we had 1 copy, I think it was a white slip.

A while after we told our cabin steward about the missing blouse he returned and asked us for the copy we got with the clothes. He said he had to give it to the laundry staff to help find the blouse.

We never got the slip back from the laundry staff, but before I gave it to our cabin steward I took a picture of the slip.

I was being cautious because of the way he kept asking us if we were sure we sent it out.

On the last morning the blouse still had not been found and we were told to go to the pursers desk to get a claim form to send in once we got home.

The claim form did say something about submitting it with our original copy of the laundry request, but as I only had the photo I printed that and explained on the form that the ship staff had asked for our copy back.

What is really frustrating is that the blouse was just purchased the week before.
After debarking Princess we were traveling to Miami for a 7 day on NCL Epic.

Loosing the blouse meant one less top for that week.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
san diego
1,916 Posts
Joined Jan 2007
We too are newly elite, and just completed our first cruise as elites. The free laundry and cleaning is wonderful, but it is not true dry cleaning. It is a water based process (even though they have two columns, one for "laundry" and one for "cleaning". Just one word of caution: do not send anything that is wool. I sent a 100% wool sweater to be cleaned (as it was an Alaska cruise), and it came back small enough to fit a doll. My husband sent his suit, and that came back just fine as did my jeans and all other clothing.

By the way (and I did not know this) if you have booked a cruise as one segment and it can be booked as two, you still get two bar setups. We did a 14 day Alaska, but many people did it one way as a seven day trip. We got a complete bar set up at the beginning of each week.

Also, we can laundry back the next day in every instance. However, there were not a lot of elites aboard (just 45 or so). Surprisingly, and for that reason, we were invited to the "Most Travelled" cocktail party.
Coastal North Carolina
7,039 Posts
Joined Jul 2006
Just off a wonderful 12 day cruise in the Royal..our first as Elite...and only one complaint...they shrunk my clothes!!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Sunsetbeachgal. Princess Elite Member, HAL *** Mariner
From the Sunny North Carolina Coast

Next: British Isles, Royal Princess June, 2018

Completed: Regal Princess, Feb 2017, Oasis of the Seas, Nov., 2016, Regal Princess Repo. Oct. 2016, Scenic Cruises Rhine River, June, 2016, Coral Princess Carib., Jan, 2016, HAL Eurodam, N. Europe, June, 2015, Regal Princess Carib., Jan. 2015, HAL Prinsendam, No. Europe, Sept. 2014, Freedom of the Seas, W. Carib, March, 2014, HAL Eurodam, W. Carib. Nov., 2013, Royal Princess Grand Med., July, 2013, Emerald Princess, Carib., Jan. 2013, Sapphire Princess, California Coastal, Oct. 2012, Enchantment of the Seas-Bermuda, Aug. 2012, Freedom of the Seas-Carib., May, 2012, Star Princess, S. Carib. Mar., 2011, Ocean Princess-Greek Isles/Med-Sept., 2010, Crown Princess-W. Carib. March, 2010, Island Princess-Panama Canal, Nov. 2009, Emerald Princess S. Carib., Jan. 2009, Coral Princess-Alaska Cruisetour-June, 2008, Emerald Princess-S. Carib.- Jan., 2008, Mariner of the Seas-E. Carib.-January, 2007, Golden Princess-Med/Greek Isles-October, 2006, Star Princess-W. Carib.-January, 2006, Golden Princess-W. Europe/British Isles-June, 2005, HAL Zuiderdam-E. Carib.-Dec. 2003, HAL Volendam-W. Carib.-Dec. 2002. Silversea-Silver Whisper-Med.-May, 2002, Grand Princess-W. Carib.-Oct. 2001, Sea Princess-W. Carib.-Feb, 2000, Carnival Destiny-Canada/N.E.-June, 2000, HAL Maasdam-Baltic/Russia-July, 2000, Grand Princess-Grand Med.-June, 1999 and others...celebrating 35 years of cruising!
League City, TX
40,078 Posts
Joined Sep 2005
Originally posted by sunsetbeachgal
Just off a wonderful 12 day cruise in the Royal..our first as Elite...and only one complaint...they shrunk my clothes!!
Do not blame the laundry.

It is the salty sea air.