Eclipse in iceland

flipflopgal

When we did the Eclipse Iceland/Ireland cruise in 2016 the Eclipse docked (overnight) at Skarfabakki. It is approximately 2 to 2.5 miles from downtown Reykjavik. I have no idea if a shuttle was provided as we rented a car. Cars were available for pick-up at the cruise terminal.

We have done land trips to Iceland and have stayed at the Icelandair Marina Hotel which is located near the very small old port. I have not seen any ship anywhere near the size of the Eclipse docked in that area.

When we did the Eclipse Iceland/Ireland cruise in 2016 the Eclipse docked (overnight) at Skarfabakki. It is approximately 2 to 2.5 miles from downtown Reykjavik. I have no idea if a shuttle was provided as we rented a car. Cars were available for pick-up at the cruise terminal.

We have done land trips to Iceland and have stayed at the Icelandair Marina Hotel which is located near the very small old port. I have not seen any ship anywhere near the size of the Eclipse docked in that area.

Be careful about 'ash and ice' insurance in Iceland. There is wind-blown volcanic ash in some parts of Iceland (not necessarily Reykjavik) and you need this insurance if you drive anywhere near those areas as blown volcanic ash can damage both paint and glass. The deductible was $1000 several years ago when I was there and there was a rash of rental insurance scams where even the smallest blemish on a window or body was considered significant damage that initiated a $1000 charge on your credit card. You can find reports from travelers who had this problem (and others) renting cars in Iceland on TripAdvisor. I would go back to Iceland in a minute, it is wonderful - but would be very careful about renting a car while there. The only thing that saved us is that we were staying in Reykjavik for several days after returning our car in Reykjavik. We would drive the car back to the rental agency at the airport to discuss the ash damages the return agent tried to hit us with - that quickly changed the damage from significant to "not worth reporting" - and this was with an agency that had very good reviews.

Be careful about 'ash and ice' insurance in Iceland. There is wind-blown volcanic ash in some parts of Iceland (not necessarily Reykjavik) and you need this insurance if you drive anywhere near those areas as blown volcanic ash can damage both paint and glass. The deductible was $1000 several years ago when I was there and there was a rash of rental insurance scams where even the smallest blemish on a window or body was considered significant damage that initiated a $1000 charge on your credit card. You can find reports from travelers who had this problem (and others) renting cars in Iceland on TripAdvisor. I would go back to Iceland in a minute, it is wonderful - but would be very careful about renting a car while there. The only thing that saved us is that we were staying in Reykjavik for several days after returning our car in Reykjavik. We would drive the car back to the rental agency at the airport to discuss the ash damages the return agent tried to hit us with - that quickly changed the damage from significant to "not worth reporting" - and this was with an agency that had very good reviews.

Quite frankly, we have rented cars in Iceland on three separate occasions, and have not had any such experience. And we have driven in what would be considered rural Iceland as we have driven east of Vik where Nootka lupines have been planted to stabilize the volcanic soils. We have used Hertz twice and Europcar once.

Apparently its some new beta test, and sadly I could not figure out how to join :confused:

Look at the top right side of the Cruise Critic home page. Click on "register" and follow the instructions.

You have to be registered to access the roll calls.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks So Much for the Heads Up. I have booked a car with Europcar, but I will rethink or else be careful.

I believe the poster is on May 10th...Not on our May 28th.

Yes, May 10th. Thank You for the help. I'm still learning the platform, and did not realize I needed to subscribe to my own threads to get notified of the replies. More used to the message boards on TripAdvisor. Still finding this one very confusing to use, but keep trying :)

As well as the shuttle it’s a flat, easy walk into town if you wish. As you exit the gate on the dockside keep the sea to your right and you will pick up a waterside pathway. This will take you about 35-45 minutes to reach the centre of town. It takes you past the Sun Voyager statue which is lovely.

cbf3abe22e93baaeeeea90ecedac880d.jpeg

We joined a free walking tour in town which was excellent- http:// https://citywalk.is/

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

As well as the shuttle it’s a flat, easy walk into town if you wish. As you exit the gate on the dockside keep the sea to your right and you will pick up a waterside pathway. This will take you about 35-45 minutes to reach the centre of town. It takes you past the Sun Voyager statue which is lovely.

We joined a free walking tour in town which was excellent- https://citywalk.is/

Very helpful & great picture, thanks

We joined a free walking tour in town which was excellent- https://citywalk.is/

Beautiful photo....I have the same one on my wall but taken looking more to the right!! Iceland is a photographers paradise....IMHO.

Miaminice,

Thanks for the trip review link. Excellent photography and loads of information, especially for Iceland. We are on an Aug Silhouette Ireland/Iceland and our itinerary is a bit longer, but hits all but one of yours as well. Counting the days.