we visited last week

BeckOnATrek

Our MSC cruise stopped in San Juan last week. We wanted to do a rain forest tour but we wanted to go to the beach too. We chose Louie's VIP Tours. http://www.louieviptours.com/index.html He customized according to what we wanted to do. He was very professional, yet he was friendly and fun. My teenagers loved it too. Even though the rain forest still has much damage, we still enjoyed our tour very much. They said the tower is expected to be reopened this week. We fell in love with Puerto Rico!

• 2 weeks later...

I also read the same thing Deec. I think i read a recent update where there is the option to get to one waterfall. What I read says that all trails are basically not operational at this point. The rain forest was decimated- and while it is regenerating and amazing to see this, I wonder if it makes sense to rent a car or hire a private excursion and take the day to basically be able to hike round trip for maybe a mile?

I have also read that there are areas outside of the National Park to visit in the area that are recovering.

So I would also be very interested in further details on your day. Thank you.

Only a small portion of the park is currently available, according to our guide. We were able to view La Coca Falls by driving to it instead of hiking. The tower was not open when we visited but it has since reopened. I've heard the views are amazing. There are limited trails available and we did do a brief trail walk. There are viewing areas and it is still beautiful.

Our guide picked us up at 8:30 am and we drove straight there. It's quite a drive so we were able to see more of the island and our guide gave us a lot of information about Puerto Rico, both historical and current events. We toured the limited access of the rain forest, stopped for a bite to eat at a local spot recommended by the guide and still had time to spend 2+ hours at a local public beach (Luquillo) before returning to the ship by 3pm.