Colosseum's top level will open to tourists for first time in years

cruisemom42

Rome has found another new way to monetize the Colosseum: For the first time in years, special groups will be able to visit the highest level of its structure.

Starting on November 1, groups will be able to climb up to the fifth level of the Colosseum, which was reserved for the lower classes "back in the day". At the height of 120 ft above the arena, the view of the fight wouldn't have been outstanding, but visitors now should get a birds-eye view of Rome.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/10/03/plebeians-eye-view-tourists-allowed-highest-level-colosseum/

I wonder if this will be added to the Underground tour (probably at a higher cost) or offered as a separate option?

I would do it, if only to have a chance to look up close at the moorings for the velarium, the awning that could be used to cover at least a part of the seating.

We will be there in early December and would love to check it out. We should be able to know how the tour works the third week of this month, when bookings open up for November.

I'm hoping it's combined with the Underground tour because we'd like to do that as well and I don't want to have to purchase two tours.

We will be there in early December and would love to check it out. We should be able to know how the tour works the third week of this month, when bookings open up for November.

I'm hoping it's combined with the Underground tour because we'd like to do that as well and I don't want to have to purchase two tours.

Let us know what you find out.

I'll be in Rome twice next year :D, so I'm interested.

Visiting the top also interests me so I did a bit of digging. It appears that it is already possible to visit the top tier: https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187791-i22-k10911278-Colosseum_upper_levels_open_to_public-Rome_Lazio.html

The 4th and 5th rings are simply an add-on to the Underground/3rd ring tour.

Edited by dogs4fun

Visiting the top also interests me so I did a bit of digging. It appears that it is already possible to visit the top tier: https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187791-i22-k10911278-Colosseum_upper_levels_open_to_public-Rome_Lazio.html

The 4th and 5th rings are simply an add-on to the Underground/3rd ring tour.

Good to know that it's part of the underground tour. Is it still true that this sells out almost immediately when the dates are released? We'll be there in December and I wondered I'll need to get up on the middle of the night to try and get tickets.....? Or maybe December isn't so bad?

Good to know that it's part of the underground tour. Is it still true that this sells out almost immediately when the dates are released? We'll be there in December and I wondered I'll need to get up on the middle of the night to try and get tickets.....? Or maybe December isn't so bad?

I last booked the underground tour for November, 2 years ago. All of the November dates sold out immediately (I was perched over my computer, like a vulture, waiting to purchase my tickets but as I was already in Europe, the time differential was only an hour). I would guess it would be about the same for December. I can't imagine that the situation has changed recently as the Colosseum is always busy and seems to become more so with each passing year. If you really want to experience the underground tour, I would recommend that you get or stay up in order to have a good chance of securing tickets (9am Rome time, 3rd Monday of the preceding month for which you wish to book).

• 1 month later...
I last booked the underground tour for November, 2 years ago. All of the November dates sold out immediately (I was perched over my computer, like a vulture, waiting to purchase my tickets but as I was already in Europe, the time differential was only an hour). I would guess it would be about the same for December. I can't imagine that the situation has changed recently as the Colosseum is always busy and seems to become more so with each passing year. If you really want to experience the underground tour, I would recommend that you get or stay up in order to have a good chance of securing tickets (9am Rome time, 3rd Monday of the preceding month for which you wish to book).

I was wondering who you booked your tickets through. We did the underground tour over 4 years ago, and I believe we went through the Italian Goverment website, not a tour agency. Do you remember who you booked with. Our tour guide was an archeologist who worked digs all around Rome. Very educational.

Thanks for any info you can provide.

Just fyi, I got up at 3am last night and was able to purchase our underground tickets with no problems. Out of curiosity, I checked the coop website this morning, and the morning time slots for our day were sold out already but there were still tickets avail for the afternoon.

But I'm not sure the tickets I purchased will get us to the top tiers.....? I purchased the "underground" tickets which I thought included the third ring, but noticed that there is also a choice for "Underground and Belvedere"? However, only morning time slots appeared for that choice, and since we debark that day in Civi making a morning tour would be pretty ambitious.

Does anyone know if we will be able to get to at least the third ring with our underground tickets?

Rome has found another new way to monetize the Colosseum: For the first time in years, special groups will be able to visit the highest level of its structure.

Starting on November 1, groups will be able to climb up to the fifth level of the Colosseum, which was reserved for the lower classes "back in the day". At the height of 120 ft above the arena, the view of the fight wouldn't have been outstanding, but visitors now should get a birds-eye view of Rome.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/10/03/plebeians-eye-view-tourists-allowed-highest-level-colosseum/

I wonder if this will be added to the Underground tour (probably at a higher cost) or offered as a separate option?

I would do it, if only to have a chance to look up close at the moorings for the velarium, the awning that could be used to cover at least a part of the seating.

Another good reason to go back :)

• 3 weeks later...

We just returned from our trip and the underground tickets did not include any of the top tiers. Only the street level, the lower level, and one story up which you can already access with your regular ticket, which we had to purchase on top of the underground tickets.

The underground tour was ok, but nothing that was worth getting up at 3am to get the tickets for or spending the extra money on. If I had it to do over again, I'd just purchase a standard ticket and look around on my own. You don't see much of the lower level; you go down some stairs and look into it from one end. You don't actually get to walk all through the passageways.

The upper levels might be more impressive, but that would have required yet another ticket.

We just returned from our trip and the underground tickets did not include any of the top tiers. Only the street level, the lower level, and one story up which you can already access with your regular ticket, which we had to purchase on top of the underground tickets.

The underground tour was ok, but nothing that was worth getting up at 3am to get the tickets for or spending the extra money on. If I had it to do over again, I'd just purchase a standard ticket and look around on my own. You don't see much of the lower level; you go down some stairs and look into it from one end. You don't actually get to walk all through the passageways.

The upper levels might be more impressive, but that would have required yet another ticket.

Thanks for your report. I've said the same, but for some reason these underground tickets are the hot thing right now. ;)

If you ever get the chance to visit the Roman amphitheatre at Pozzuoli (easily reached from Naples on a day trip), I can highly recommend it. Best preserved underground area of that type that I've seen.