Led lights on balcony

robthens

IF the LED light string is NOT bright enough to create enough glow to impact the nighttime darkness on balconies on each side of OPs balcony, I guess it might be OK, although I would prefer that they did not do it if they were in the cabin next to mine.

I'm another person who hates it when someone in an abutting cabin leaves the light on all night on their balcony. I like to leave a small gap in the drapes overnight so the light from sunrise can shine into the cabin in the morning. If a neighboring balcony light is left on, the light DOES wash over the divider and onto my balcony and makes it harder to get to sleep.

I feel that if they aren't very bright and you get enjoyment out of them then go ahead and bring them. We have been through the Panama Canal three times and each time we have hung our STEELER flag over our balcony. My DH securely had it tied down with no problem and never once were we asked to remove it. We will do the same on our upcoming cruise.

Outside lights can and do impact other passengers. While some do not care, other do care. If a lighted string of lights were on the rail to the cabin adjacent to mine - it would adversely impact my view as I stood along my balcony rail. Given that the act might be offensive to other passenger AND it is in violation of ship policy - it is not courteous or technically allowed.

the fairy lights i'm thinking of fit in the palm of your hand and weight almost nothing. the come in a box about the size of a ticktack container

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/71v5YR9YMaL._SL1500_.jpg

these are not like your normal christmas lights. i've used them in my ugly christmas sweater contest, i poke the wires through my sweater so it lights up. i have also used them for ragnar relay races to decorate the van. the wires are super thing and easy to tape down wiht painters tape to the van.

Edited by vampiress

Princess prohibits towels, clothes, swim suits being hung on the balcony. Hammocks are likewise prohibited. The problem is that they fly off in the wind (remember the ship is moving forward at 18 - 22 knots or 21 to 26 MPH). So do pax do this anyway - well yes.

Why people are attracted to light like moths is a good question. Try going somewhere in total darkness and see the stars, milky way etc.

I believe Princess does allow items to be hung on the balcony as long as your there.

the fairy lights i'm thinking of fit in the palm of your hand and weight almost nothing. the come in a box about the size of a ticktack container

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/71v5YR9YMaL._SL1500_.jpg

these are not like your normal christmas lights. i've used them in my ugly christmas sweater contest, i poke the wires through my sweater so it lights up. i have also used them for ragnar relay races to decorate the van. the wires are super thing and easy to tape down wiht painters tape to the van.

You'll learn that on this board there's not one single thing that doesn't irritate a few people, even things like those tiny lights that they can't possible see from their location. ;)

They are cute. :cool:

You'll learn that on this board there's not one single thing that doesn't irritate a few people, even things like those tiny lights that they can't possible see from their location. ;)

Sadly, you are so right. One poster wrote: "....it would adversely impact my view as I stood along my balcony rail. Given that the act might be offensive to other passenger...." Really?? This is total exaggeration - the only way you could see a little string of lights on the next balcony would be to stretch your neck around the divider to look - which is wrong. And people need to stop being "offended" about anything and everything! Our society is getting insane with all this political correctness crap and not letting anyone live their lives for fear of "offending" someone. Unless a person is being totally obnoxious, just ignore them and get on with life (and a nice vacation).

I wish those passengers who take strings of lights with them on cruises would share their luggage packing secrets. We only take one large bag and one carry-on each on cruises and there is no room in any of them for something like decorations for the balcony or cabin.

Could be a set of combo necklace lights. Hence no suitcase needed.

Considering LED lights for balcony railing on upcoming Panama Canal cruise.

What are the thoughts regarding this?

Thanks for all the feedback. I've made my decision.

#1 I will put led fairy battery powered lights on my balcony

#2 I will only have them on for a short period of time in the evenings

#3 I will use command hooks to attach them

#4 I won't be looking into your balcony (hope you won't be looking into mine). Lol

#5 FYI I will turn off my balcony light (switch behind the curtain) at night

#6 I will have an amazing cruise & I hope all of you have one too!!!

#4 I won't be looking into your balcony (hope you won't be looking into mine). Lol

YIHONG 2 Set Fairy String Lights Battery Operated Waterproof 8 Modes Twinkling 50 LED Stri... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B071F4T9F9/ref=cm_sw_r_sms_tai_4gQUzb...

Attached is an image looking forward from a balcony stateroom. IMHO waking up to dawn in Glacier Bay would not be enhanced by decorative lights on the adjacent cabin's rail.

I do not view this as political correctness as suggested., but rather as an expectation that my fellow passengers adhere to the terms and agreements of their contract with PCL.

DSC01253.JPG.aff7c0a3ce69feb9775eb3ce80d392cd.JPG

Edited by tcdcruiser

Attached is an image looking forward from a balcony stateroom. IMHO waking up to dawn in Glacier Bay would not be enhanced by decorative lights on the adjacent cabin's rail.

I totally agree with you. That is the reason I clarified that I would only use then for a limited time in the evenings

Excellent plan! You would be a welcome neighbor. :cool:

"Plan your cruise, cruise your plan."

Step #2A - answer the phone when the bridge calls.

when the balconies are on top of one another, and not covered, and you like the dark, then it is darned inconvenient to have lights on all night........:mad:

I can agree on the cabin light but those tiny string of lights are hardly noticeable unless you're actually looking for them.

Besides that the battery would hardly last a whole night anyway.