Motion sickness and traveling the southern ocean

OnTheJourney

Hi,

I have been looking at various trips and many different companies for Antarctica. Frankly, my main concern is about seasickness. The more 'horror' stories I read about crossing the Drake, the more concerned I become about even going on this trip. I do need to wear wristbands even on a mild ocean cruise, and also sometimes take meclizine, and so I have no idea how I'd do in the Southern Ocean. Any advice or thoughts welcome. I've read some reviews that say this cruise is 'not for everyone'. Unfortunately that 'everyone' might be pointed at my direction. But I'd love to go. I'd be willing to put up with some seasickness in order to visit such an amazing place, but neither do I want to spend 5 figures on a trip during which I'd feel miserable for days on end. If possible, I'd prefer to choose a trip that only crosses the Drake once. I'd also, however, love to visit South Georgia and the Falklands - and I've read that in general the southern ocean can be rough anywhere in that area. I see that Quark even has a trip that flies there avoiding the Drake entirely. It's very expensive though and also doesn't visit South Georgia or the Falklands - but maybe for me the less cruising down there the better! Has anyone gone with Tauck, Collette, or Quark for Antarctica? Those are the main ones I have been considering.

Thanks for any thoughts!

PS...Does the MS Fram provide boots for the expeditions?

Hi,

I have been looking at various trips and many different companies for Antarctica. Frankly, my main concern is about seasickness. The more 'horror' stories I read about crossing the Drake, the more concerned I become about even going on this trip. I do need to wear wristbands even on a mild ocean cruise, and also sometimes take meclizine, and so I have no idea how I'd do in the Southern Ocean. Any advice or thoughts welcome. I've read some reviews that say this cruise is 'not for everyone'. Unfortunately that 'everyone' might be pointed at my direction. But I'd love to go. I'd be willing to put up with some seasickness in order to visit such an amazing place, but neither do I want to spend 5 figures on a trip during which I'd feel miserable for days on end. If possible, I'd prefer to choose a trip that only crosses the Drake once. I'd also, however, love to visit South Georgia and the Falklands - and I've read that in general the southern ocean can be rough anywhere in that area. I see that Quark even has a trip that flies there avoiding the Drake entirely. It's very expensive though and also doesn't visit South Georgia or the Falklands - but maybe for me the less cruising down there the better! Has anyone gone with Tauck, Collette, or Quark for Antarctica? Those are the main ones I have been considering.

Thanks for any thoughts!

PS...Does the MS Fram provide boots for the expeditions?

Yes, the Fram does supply boots.

We did the Fram on the Shackleton Route in Feb of 2010. After we crossed the "Drake Shake", we were told by the captain it was the 2d worse crossing of that year, and yes, I did get a bit of sea sickness, but not my wife. I managed it though by using the patches and taking the pills. Once you get across, the water is very calm. However, when we went around the horn, we were in hurricane force winds and it was very rough. Once we stopped in the Falklands and SG all was fine, the storms come and go and the Fram has excellent stabilizers to reduce the roll.

BUT - all of this was easily managed by keeping the patches on and using the pills. We were not sick for days and days and recovered very quickly once the seas settled down. I have seen many reports of the "Drake Lake", so it is really a crap shoot on what you will get.

PLEASE GO - do not let the worry of a bit of seasickness stop you, get your patches and pills, ginger or whatever works for you. Once you get across the Drake and see the beauty, any thoughts you had of being sick will vanish.

We are headed back in 2014, without any fear of the seasickness.

I have a detailed log and pics here, some of which discusses the weather with pics.

http://opatravels.blogspot.com/2010/02/goin-south.html

Yes, the Fram does supply boots.

We did the Fram on the Shackleton Route in Feb of 2010. After we crossed the "Drake Shake", we were told by the captain it was the 2d worse crossing of that year, and yes, I did get a bit of sea sickness, but not my wife. I managed it though by using the patches and taking the pills. Once you get across, the water is very calm. However, when we went around the horn, we were in hurricane force winds and it was very rough. Once we stopped in the Falklands and SG all was fine, the storms come and go and the Fram has excellent stabilizers to reduce the roll.

BUT - all of this was easily managed by keeping the patches on and using the pills. We were not sick for days and days and recovered very quickly once the seas settled down. I have seen many reports of the "Drake Lake", so it is really a crap shoot on what you will get.

PLEASE GO - do not let the worry of a bit of seasickness stop you, get your patches and pills, ginger or whatever works for you. Once you get across the Drake and see the beauty, any thoughts you had of being sick will vanish.

We are headed back in 2014, without any fear of the seasickness.

I have a detailed log and pics here, some of which discusses the weather with pics.

http://opatravels.blogspot.com/2010/02/goin-south.html

If you don't, I guarantee you will probably regret the decision to forego it for the rest of your life.

I also look at the Drake as a right of passage. I am fortunate in that I have never suffered from motion sickness, but my girfriend is prone to it. In December 2011, we had 35-36 foot seas on the Drake going down and 40 foot seas sailing north along the Antarctic Peninsula during a freak storm. I mention this not to scare you, but to let you kow that proper preparation should keep you in good shape. I fared well without any medication and my girlfriend was well prepared with the patch - and did not get seasick. The Drake was very tame heading back north to Ushuaia.

Please don't be put off by what might occur. The experience is extraordinary and I would not trade the trip (in my case, especially the high seas) for anything.

We can't wait to go back.

Hi,

I really appreciate the responses. I am encouraged to do this trip. Right now it's long range planning. We just don't have the time with working schedules to do this trip yet. Regarding patches, I've never used them. I do, however, have wristbands - which have always worked well for me. I wear them non-stop on any cruise no matter what is going on with the ocean! Perhaps patches work even better. I'll have to do some research on that one.

Who would you recommend going with? My travel agent tells me Tauck is best - but also recommended General Tours. I do like how Hurtigruten also visits the other islands. The other tour companies I am looking at - Tauck and Collette primarily, do not go there.

Thanks again,

three4rd

Hi,

I really appreciate the responses. I am encouraged to do this trip. Right now it's long range planning. We just don't have the time with working schedules to do this trip yet. Regarding patches, I've never used them. I do, however, have wristbands - which have always worked well for me. I wear them non-stop on any cruise no matter what is going on with the ocean! Perhaps patches work even better. I'll have to do some research on that one.

Who would you recommend going with? My travel agent tells me Tauck is best - but also recommended General Tours. I do like how Hurtigruten also visits the other islands. The other tour companies I am looking at - Tauck and Collette primarily, do not go there.

Thanks again,

three4rd

I guess this depends on how deep your pockets are. We got a great deal for the Fram, had as much times as we wanted onshore, food was good, nice, stabilized, ship, and crew was outstanding. Also we could pay with our CC. I am sure others who went with other lines are just as satisfied.

We put our ear patches on when we boarded the plane in BA for the 3 hour flight, so we were covered by the time we got on board. The only discomfort was a bit of slight itch behind the ear, but it was nothing we could not deal with. The patches worked great for us, we preferred getting the medication instead of relying on the pressure points, though in your case why not do both?

Good luck on planning, post here if you have any questions and I am sure there will be many who will offer advice.

I have done two big trips with Quark and about to do a 3rd with them so I can highly recommend them and their expedition teams who are incredibley experienced in a wide variety of polar fields.

They always have a doctor on board to treat the seasick folk, but if the bands have worked for you in the past then stick with them - no sense confusing your equilibrium trying new methods.

I found that for the seasick folk the worst days were the crossings - then once we hit the islands and continent areas they all miraculously came out of their cabins.

Quark did start up their fly/cruise deals to help the folks who really wanted to do the voyage without the Drake so the opportunity is there if thats how you want to do it. It also suits those people who dont have a lot of holiday days available to them as it cuts off several days at each end of the normal voyage.

I do agree the Drake is all part of the wonderous experience. But if its the one thing preventing you from heading south - then dont force yourself - pick the fly/cruise and just go for it !!

Hi,

For me, I guess perhaps the fewer days at sea the better, but I am one who - for just about anywhere that I travel - I tend to want to see and do as much as I can! And so it would seem a shame to go that far and spend that much and not get to these other islands. And yet, many companies do not go to these additional places.

Then another question is whether I want to add an optional extension to see additional places like Tierra Del Fuego Park and Iguazu. As I guess you can see, I'm really getting into the idea of going. I do believe that Antarctica is a 'must see' for anyone truly committed to extensive travel.

Thanks again for any replies!

Hi,

Then another question is whether I want to add an optional extension to see additional places like Tierra Del Fuego Park and Iguazu. As I guess you can see, I'm really getting into the idea of going. I do believe that Antarctica is a 'must see' for anyone truly committed to extensive travel.

Iguazu is fantastic!

BTW, Meclizine works for sea sickness. South Georgia is a must, but Falklands is optional! We are going back for a second time just to Antarctica and doing the fly to South Shetlands and cruise. No Drake excitement this time but we had Drake Lake in 2010!

Quark did start up their fly/cruise deals to help the folks who really wanted to do the voyage without the Drake so the opportunity is there if thats how you want to do it.

I must be an alien because the idea of flying over the Drake scares me ten times more than sailing it on a seaworthy ship (even if it's two hours versus two days). But I can see that it saves some times for people who don't have a lot of holidays available (although the two days on the Drake did not seem wasted to me ; slowly going south, feeling the cold of the Atlantic convergence, discovering the birds, the first icebergs... It made so much sense. And on the way back we rounded the Horn!).

Also, is there some statistics on how often these flights get cancelled/postponed? Or can the plane fly even in difficult wind conditions?

SarniaLo,

You raise a good point. I believe I came across in my research the issue of flights being canceled. Makes perfect sense when you are talking about the winds that can be encountered. You're right...that flight might be more motion than could be encountered down on the water!

Dileep,

Thanks so much for the recommendation to do Iguazu. I'm sure I'd feel that I missed something if I'd go all that way and not take the time for the extra extension there. I know Meclizine works, but I do find that all these supposedly "non-drowsy" meds still make me feel a bit out-of-it. I take up to 4 of them when I get attacks of BPPV (inner ear problems) and that literally knocks me out for close to two days. Awful. I am hoping my wristbands will not let me down. In a way, I'm almost looking forward to a bit of rough water - seems just right somehow with this trip. My stomach may not agree. One way to find out I guess.

Best,

three4rd

• 2 weeks later...

I highly recommend going with Overseas Adventure Travel (OAT) on the Corinthian II. The ship is beautiful, around 100 passengers, roomy cabins, fabulous food, bridge open whole time in Antarctica, excellent expedition naturalists and trip leaders, interesting people, etc. It was a perfect trip. If you can go for the balcony cabin, great, we loved it, but all the cabins were very nice. We had a Drake Shake at an 8 out of 10, and the ear patch handled that perfectly - just dry mouth. We wore the patch going over, and then removed it when we got to the South Shetland Islands. It was calm then. We put another on for the return cruise through the Drake which was a 4/5 rather mild. Few people were sea sick, rather we had to get our sea legs to move around, which could be rather comical! We did get room service for the times we didn't want to leave the cabin. Well worth the slight inconvenience!! It is the best trip ever, and impossible to describe accurately. You have to experience it - GO!

Hi,

Iguazu Falls is great and a must see!

I have done two big trips with Quark and about to do a 3rd with them so I can highly recommend them and their expedition teams who are incredibly experienced in a wide variety of polar fields.

Quark did start up their fly/cruise deals to help the folks who really wanted to do the voyage without the Drake so the opportunity is there if thats how you want to do it. It also suits those people who dont have a lot of holiday days available to them as it cuts off several days at each end of the normal voyage.ading south - then don't force yourself - pick the fly/cruise and just go for it !!

I am not sure if Quark does fly/cruise anymore, but Antarctica XXI does and they are excellent too. The only problem that there can be delays in the fly part of the expedition. We were a day late going out but so was the next group and we stayed an extra day at the end.

We did Antarctica, South Georgia and the Falklands on Fram early this year. It's a wonderful ship with a wonderful crew.

We got Drake Lake, but a rough day off Esperanza on the peninsula.

If you can possibly go, then go!

Antarctica is an amazing destination in itself, but South Georgia and the Falklands (both East and West) are also stunning in their own right.

We added on Iguazu on our return to Buenos Aires and were delighted to have done so.

All in all, a trip not to be missed, and we're going back in 2014 to go south of the Antarctic Circle on Fram.

I am not sure if Quark does fly/cruise anymore, but Antarctica XXI does and they are excellent too. The only problem that there can be delays in the fly part of the expedition. We were a day late going out but so was the next group and we stayed an extra day at the end.

They do indeed. All detailed in the current year itineraries and my friends work on the ship that awaits the flights.

Archived