Is Arabia/India cruise worthwhile?

comcox

We were thinking of booking a 2018 Arabia/India cruise on the Constellation but after reading some of the postings on here from folks recently on that ship and on that itinerary we are reconsidering.

Were the port experiences primarily negative? I've sailed some of these on Swan Hellenic a few years ago and they were fantastic but that was a much smaller ship and one that had long experience in the region.

Has experience on the Constellation gone down in quality. Folks mentioned lots of hard sell, lower food quality, etc. It's been many years since we sailed on her.

The reason we were looking at this cruise was that it fit together with a land tour we were going to do in Northern India and it would make a nice pre-tour cruise.

India and "Arabia" are most definitely worth it.

Sailed Mumbai-Piraeus on Azamara Journey and it was fantastic. Six days pre-cruise in the Golden Triangle arranged by Magic Tours of India/Delhi: private small SUV for three of us, top hotels, flight from Jaipur to Mumbai, driver the whole route, excellent guides at each location.

Stops included Dubai, Safaga, Aqaba (Petra and Wadi Rum). Plus the canal transit, obviously.

It's fab, we did just the Arabian bit into Dubai from Abu Dhabi and to 2 ports in Oman. I arranged all land trips myself and we found Constellation great, great food and service. Fantastic cruise entertainment director too. Don't miss it.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Sailed Mumbai-Piraeus on Azamara Journey and it was fantastic. Six days pre-cruise in the Golden Triangle arranged by Magic Tours of India/Delhi: private small SUV for three of us, top hotels, flight from Jaipur to Mumbai, driver the whole route, excellent guides at each location.

Stops included Dubai, Safaga, Aqaba (Petra and Wadi Rum). Plus the canal transit, obviously.

We have the Journey booked for November 17 and are really looking forward to it.

Edited by ceba

Most likely, are from people who are not "true travelers" and and do not want learn abut or enjoy different cultures.

FANTAASTIC CRUISE

That's quite an interesting post. I think the term 'true traveller' is very subjective. The cruise is only docked for 38.5 hours in four Indian ports. Not at all long enough to see such a large and diverse country such as India if you're a 'true traveller'. And sadly there's no opportunity to spend time there at either end of the cruise.

So, the best advise I can give is book the cruise and then book an Indian land tour another time if you want to see the country properly.

Thanks for the lead on Magic Tours; however, I was asking about the cruise in terms of Celebrity's cruise to these regions. Azamara does not have a cruise in this area at the time we need.

We just came home from that cruise last week and thought it was excellent! Highlights included the Grand Mosque, the Dolphin Safari in Oman, the Cochin houseboat, Mumbai itself, and the Desert Safari in Dubai. People raved about the beach in Goa. All of the Hindi temples are fascinating. For a two-week trip you can see and do quite a bit.

We just came home from that cruise last week and thought it was excellent! Highlights included the Grand Mosque, the Dolphin Safari in Oman, the Cochin houseboat, Mumbai itself, and the Desert Safari in Dubai. People raved about the beach in Goa. All of the Hindi temples are fascinating. For a two-week trip you can see and do quite a bit.

[emoji851]. Good to know

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We are doing a very similar if not the same one in April. Looking for any tips as we are new to this. How did you book your excursions and what did you do about currency for each destination? Any tips would be appreciated. [emoji2]

Sent from my F5121 using Forums mobile app

I certainly hope it's worth it - we've booked for next Christmas & New Year :D.

We had a fabulous time this year on Millie, and the distances to the cities from the port were great, so we are hoping another new area with new experiences will be just as good :).

I certainly hope it's worth it - we've booked for next Christmas & New Year :D.

We had a fabulous time this year on Millie, and the distances to the cities from the port were great, so we are hoping another new area with new experiences will be just as good :).

Hi jenny!

A few years back we did a land tour of India (Delhi, Jaipur, Agra...) followed by a Dubai Cruise on Royal Caribbean´s Serenade otS.

I had no interest of going to India before but DW did. When I saw the offer for this combination I told her "if you ever wanna get me to go to India, here´s your chance" thinking, I would do her the favor to tag along knowing I´d be rewarded with a cruise after.

Boy was I wrong!!! India blew me away! Seeing all the architecture, being immersed in this challenge to all your senses... it was one of our most memorable experiences ever.

The cruise out of Dubai after the land part was good and the ports and mosques were great to see. Muscat was our favorite. However, it all seemed artificial and created without any concern of money versus authentic, unforgetable and naturally grown India.

If I had the chance I would always visit India again on a land tour. Having seen it that way I would not be to keen on "just" cruising there. However, if that is what´s on your mind - go for it! The general point is: India is worth visiting.

Constellation:

Constellation is a nice ship! We cruised on her in October and noticed a few points not as ideal as before - but then the bar was set really high because of previous experiences. NONE of the points, however, diminished the overall positive feeling so we shrugged them of as glitches and did not really care - confident that things change until we will be on Constellation again in March.

Go and give her a try, see for yourself! Don´t believe everything you read... I think complaining about minor things has become sort of a sport. And many seem to have the feeling that complaining let´s them shine because they display being used to "higher standards". Maybe we are just too low maintenance...

Edited by Miaminice

Hi jenny!

Hi :)

Meant to say, if you come across any good tour operators for this region whilst you're researching, let me know ;).

I'm already looking at flight options :o. Can't believe it was this time last year when I was doing the same for Asia :cool:.

Hi :)

Meant to say, if you come across any good tour operators for this region whilst you're researching, let me know ;).

I'm already looking at flight options :o. Can't believe it was this time last year when I was doing the same for Asia :cool:.

Mine is 2 years from now.[emoji12][emoji12][emoji12]but I will let you know.

I was thinking a land Vietnam, Thailand and Cambodia add on vs, india since we disembark in Singapore. Maybe I will have a cabin mate by then to carry my luggage. [emoji851]

Fairytrish,

I was able to use dollars to pay your operations, but did get UAE dirhams for cabs and sundries, which I was able to convert back to dollars at Citibank. I only had a small amount of rupees with me, which I didn't need. Citibank would NOT exchange the rupees.

I recommend the tour operator Lijo Jose at Muziris Tours for his 3 day package. New Mangalore has less to offer than the other port; focus on the Hindi temples that day. No complaints about the shore excursions organized through Celebrity (mosque, Dolphins, desert safari); they were amongst our favorites.

Fairytrish,

I was able to use dollars to pay your operations, but did get UAE dirhams for cabs and sundries, which I was able to convert back to dollars at Citibank. I only had a small amount of rupees with me, which I didn't need. Citibank would NOT exchange the rupees.

I recommend the tour operator Lijo Jose at Muziris Tours for his 3 day package. New Mangalore has less to offer than the other port; focus on the Hindi temples that day. No complaints about the shore excursions organized through Celebrity (mosque, Dolphins, desert safari); they were amongst our favorites.

Thank you so much for all your help and advice. Really appreciate it.

[emoji2]

Sent from my F5121 using Forums mobile app

Thanks everyone for the input. Things sound good so we are going to book--just trying to decide which level of cabin to go with. Xmas/New Year's cruise is more expensive than January one but better itinerary since it adds Cochin. I've heard from a local in Dubai, though, that New Year's Eve day will be insane with thousands flocking into the town center early in anticipation of fireworks.

Has anyone sailed on deck 2? How significant is any engine noise down there?

Edited by comcox

Thanks everyone for the input. Things sound good so we are going to book--just trying to decide which level of cabin to go with. Xmas/New Year's cruise is more expensive than January one but better itinerary since it adds Cochin. I've heard from a local in Dubai, though, that New Year's Eve day will be insane with thousands flocking into the town center early in anticipation of fireworks.

Has anyone sailed on deck 2? How significant is any engine noise down there?

I just completed this same cruise, as others on here have. It was a fabulous trip and I would highly recommend it. I never have really had a desire to spend too much time in India, so this cruise was a great way to sample it, and I found it to be an absolutely fascinating place. Mumbai was fabulous! Dubai is not as crazy on NYE as people make it out to be. We went out into the city for dinner and fireworks, and yes, they close down some of the main roads, but we hired private transportation and were able to get where we needed to go and were back onboard by 2am. I feel bad for the people who didn't leave the ship, so I really suggest you go for it. Some friends of ours booked a hotel room in the city for the night right across from the Burj Khalifa, which would also be a great idea.

I've never stayed on Deck 2, but can tell you that the Constellation is a great ship. I did mention in my review that our Sky Suite needed a refresh, but the public spaces on the ship looked great. We were a bit put off by the pushing of alternative dining venues (staff standing at the entry door with menus while we were reboarding from ports) and the photo people, but we just said no. The crew, at least on this particular cruise, were all fabulous! One of the most cohesive crews I've had on 8 cruises with Celebrity.

Michael

I just did the same cruise over Christmas and New Year's and it was one of my best trips ever. I ditto everything people have said about booking with Lijo Jose and going into Dubai for New Year's. It was AWESOME!