cruise out of NYC March 17-26

Nursebay

I have never gone on a NCL or out of NYC we've always done our cruises in Sept out of Florida.

We leave out of NYC March 17-we are doing an Eastern Caribbean cruise that is 10 days in length. The day we leave and 3 more days are at sea....4 days spent on islands in the eastern caribbean (St Lucia, etc) and then our last stop is in St. Thomas and then 2 days at sea home...how much of that will be cold??

I have never gone on a NCL or out of NYC we've always done our cruises in Sept out of Florida.

We leave out of NYC March 17-we are doing an Eastern Caribbean cruise that is 10 days in length. The day we leave and 3 more days are at sea....4 days spent on islands in the eastern caribbean (St Lucia, etc) and then our last stop is in St. Thomas and then 2 days at sea home...how much of that will be cold??

You may have warm weather on the first and last sea days.

oh good, i started wondering if I picked a bad month...thanks! I couldn't convince my husband to do a summer/fall cruise again as we live way up North in the COLD. He sadi he wants to go in the Winter months and unfortunately that's his busy time at work and so March was our best bet.

I don't know where you live, but if you have to fly, please fly in the day before your cruise. March 17th is the NYC St. Patricks day parade. You may have a few problems getting to the cruise port depending on where you are staying.

oh good call I didn't even think of that!

I don't know where you live, but if you have to fly, please fly in the day before your cruise. March 17th is the NYC St. Patricks day parade. You may have a few problems getting to the cruise port depending on where you are staying.

Excellent point. Over a million people watch the parade on 5th avenue .... and some drive in. You would encounter heavy traffic if you fly in the day of embarkation. I suggest spending the night in NYC in a hotel located midtown west if possible.

The flight says it would come in at 10:30 AM, would I get to the cruise port by 1 pm? Would 3 hours to get there not be enough?

If you land at 10:30, you aren’t getting into a cab until at least 11. The street closures for the parade are between 11 - 5. The parade route is between LaGuardia and the cruise port, so you would have to go around it. Since everyone would be going around it, expect heavy traffic. Maybe someone could chime in with public transportation options?

yuck...ok. Maybe the night before it is!!! What hotel is closet to the cruise port?

You don't need or necessarily even want to stay as close as possible to the cruise terminal, although if you want to there are some hotels that are a short walk from the pier. There are literally hundreds of hotels in Manhattan, most no more than a relatively short inexpensive taxi ride from the cruise terminal. If you're coming in the day before your cruise you might want to do a little sightseeing, and depending on what you want to do, as well as your budget, some hotels will be preferable to others.

If you give us an idea of what you might want to do, what type of room you're looking for and an approximate budget, then I'm sure posters here will have some recommendations.

The three hotels closest to the pier are the Holiday Inn Express Midtown West and the Comfort Inn Midtown West, both on West 48th St., and the trendier and more expensive Kimpton Ink 48.

Looks like flights the day before get in late around 9 so I’ll just stick to a hotel close to the port to avoid the traffic on st Patty’s day!

So just to reiterate make sure your hotel is on the WEST side of Manhattan to avoid parade issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I agree with previous posters , get a hotel around times square , which is really close to dock and enjoy a night in NYC see a play have a great dinner or then no worries about missing the ship, 1st day on cruise is so much more relaxing when you do not have to travel

I'll make a couple of points about the parade based on my personal experience going to the city several times during the St. Patrick's day parade. The weather around that time is very unpredictable. You could have warm temps, but you could have a blizzard. March 17, 2018 is on a Saturday so you won't have the normal commuter traffic that you would see during the weekday. The parade runs on 5th avenue which is a good enough distance away from the cruise port. I drove in from NJ for the the parade one year and encountered light traffic. I parked on the West Side, so I second the opinion about staying in that area. The parade starts at 11am, but crowds start building up and getting crazy in the afternoon. I was in the grand stand one year and it was easy getting in for the start of the parade. When I left at around 3, it was mayhem, but the mess was still confined to the immediate area of the parade. The further west I walked to my car, it didn't even look like St. Patrick's day anymore. Hope this helps. Enjoy NY and enjoy your cruise.