Dress Policy?

travgurl

You will see a wide variety of dress on any casual night. (For that matter, on Formal Nights also.)

Jeans (the "J" word) are always a hot topic. The fact of the matter is that, right or wrong, you will see them.

Charlie

Just an addition.

From the Carnival web site FAQs:

Casual Resort Wear: sport shirts and slacks; dresses; skirts; pantsuit NOTE: Shorts, t-shirts and bathing attire are not permitted in the Dining Room during dinner.

Charlie

For the casual nights for a woman a pair of capris with a nice top, a sundress or skirt are just fine. For a man a pair of dockers and a nice button down shirt or golf shirt are fine also. Some people wear jeans, I personally don't think it's appropriate, but that's JMO. Just don't wear shorts, tshirts and sneakers to dinner and you will be ok.

Ditto on what Sandi wears, but I have noticed lately that people are getting away with shorts, t-shirts, and sneakers to dinner. Especially teen-agers. Last cruise, we saw some teen girls with some eye-catching outfits on. Not much more than a bikini. Showing bosoms, bellies, and all of their legs possible. And they were shown to their table.

Have fun,

Shay

And policing this varies from ship to ship. Last week on the Destiny, we saw a family in capris and shorts, tee shirts and flip flips ON FORMAL NIGHT.

The entire week, our maitre'd was more interested in getting his waiters to sing and dance than in actually greeting guests or *gasp* enforcing the written dress code.

For men Carnival specifies "SLACKS". If you have problems understanding the socially accepted definition, go to the dept store and ask to see slacks. They will not direct you to the jeans dept.

Get over it. People are going to wear jeans regardless. They wear shorts too, although I don't agree with all that. My DH wears dockers and I wear a nice pair of black slacks. It's just not going to stop because you think it should. And it doesn't bother me one bit what people wear. The only reason I even noticed was because of all the "discussions" on CC, otherwise I never would have bothered to look. I'm all about the menu and nothing else. :D

For men Carnival specifies "SLACKS". If you have problems understanding the socially accepted definition, go to the dept store and ask to see slacks. They will not direct you to the jeans dept.

Relax. It's Carnival, the Walmart of cruising.

Just so your "privates" are covered ! :eek:

On the casual nights on the Glory, please specify what men and women wear to dinner. Friiends just returned from a cruise to Hawaii and they saw on the casual nights jeans, shorts, capris, etc.

Everything you mentioned will be fine with the exception of the shorts.

Carnival specifically states no shorts at dinner in the dining room.

I am assuming your friends sailed on NCLA.... if so they are a little more casual.

I just got off the Glory and there were men in Jeans and a nice dress shirts. They did not stand out at all since once you sit down, who knows (or cares). I wore Dockers and dress shirts for casual and threw on a sport coat for Formal. I did not feel under or over dressed.

Just look clean and no one really cares.

Just look clean and no one really cares.

OH BUT THEY DO! Unfortunately, it becomes an issue for most as to what is appropriate. I know we share out vacation with the 1000+ other customers (and more depending on the size of the ship) and each family has a different level of acceptance to this issue.

I personally, hope that the way I dress doesn't MAKE or BREAK anyone else's vacation. Mostly because, I won't care. I will be on my cruise and I will be having a blast. We don't wear shorts and we don't allow out DD and friends to wear them to the dinning room. But I know this will make some mad, but if they are clean , "J"eans won't bother me and my DH will probably have some on. We always dress formal on formal nights.

I think the only way this will stop being an issue is for Carnival to have a casual dinning room and a formal dinning from for every night and open seating.

Can't we all just get along and enjoy our cruises?

There is a big misconception in differentiating casual vs. informal. For the record, jeans are considered informal wear not casual. Examples:

(1)

Casual Attire

Women

· Khaki, corduroy, twill or cotton pants or skirts, neatly pressed

· Sweaters, twinsets, cardigans, polo/knit shirts

· Solid colors work better than bright patterns

Men

· Khaki, gabardine or cotton pants, neatly pressed

· Cotton long-sleeved button-down shirts, pressed, polo shirts or knit shirts with a collar

· Sweaters

· Leather shoes and belt

(2)

"Smart casual" is a more relaxed, yet professional look. Pressed

pants, a collared shirt, and clean, matching accessories. A sport coat

will add a touch of class to a casual look. Avoid jeans, sneakers and

T-shirts.

(3)

The style: Business casual has come to take on a variety of meanings -- most of which are misconceptions. Society has constructed this term to mean "anything other than a suit and tie." That's why it's not poor Larry's fault when he shows up to his meeting with the execs in jeans and a concert T.

So, what does "business casual" actually mean? Think of it this way: no jeans, no ties. Anything in between this spectrum is acceptable -- provided the outfit is assembled properly. From khakis and slacks to dress shirts and sweaters, you should be able to build enough of a varied wardrobe that'll impress the whole business casual boardroom.

The bottom line is that people will end up wearing whatever they feel like wearing.

Carnival could and should begin enforcing their own policys since some totally ignore them. Ships have been sailing full. I doubt that many would switch to NCL for such an insignificant reason as what to wear to dinner.

Carnival could and should begin enforcing their own policys since some totally ignore them.

Our experience they seem to enforce it well. We have not experienced shorts in the dining rooms at night. Oh wait there was one couple who never received their luggage.....It's a shame if people gave them dirty looks for something that was out of their control:cool:

Kurbanfan. I agree. However, how many do you think really don't get their luggage? In 19 cruises, I've only had my luggage delivered later than 4PM ONCE. That's multiple cruiselines.

If 85% of guests do meet the expected standards of dress, why do some think they are so special that they can wear anything they want?

Kurbanfan. I agree. However, how many do you think really don't get their luggage? In 19 cruises, I've only had my luggage delivered later than 4PM ONCE. That's multiple cruiselines.

If 85% of guests do meet the expected standards of dress, why do some think they are so special that they can wear anything they want?

Actually on my cruise the beginning of this month, I got 2 out of 3 bags after 8PM. The bag that had all my "good" clothing didn't come until almost 10PM. I did know to pack something in my carryon for the first night's dinner though.

Sandi. I always board between 12 and 1 oclock. I too carry a change of clothes in my carryon for dinner the first night. One cruise we had 8 or 9 suitcases. Five were full of supplies for an orphanage on Roatan. The steward stored alot of them for us and also helped getting them to shore. Bless his heart. He did say that alot of cruisers support the orphanage so they are used to it.

Archived