June in Ketchikan and Victoria - What do we do???

hamlettm

Hi guys here is where we will be going and what we have planned. I'm still trying to decide what to do in Ketchikan and Victoria. Any suggestions? The days in red below are booked, my wife and I are young (under 50) and my kids are 23 and 22. We love animals as well as food and checking out local things. I heard Ketchikan is great to Kayak? Anything better to do?

The Norwegian Bliss offers an Orca boat excursion with our ship only in Victoria. We really can't decide what to do and need some suggestions.

Monday June 18th: Ketchikan, Alaska (7:00 AM - 3:00 PM)

Tuesday June 19th: Juneau, Alaska (7:00 AM - 1:30 PM) - Whale Watching

Wednesday June 20th: Skagway, Alaska (7:00 AM - 5:30 PM) - VIP Train Ride

Friday June 22nd: Victoria, British Columbia (4:00 PM - 10:00 PM)

Edited by hamlettm

I heard Ketchikan is great to Kayak? Anything better to do?

My wife planned our upcoming trip and we've never been to Alaska before, but FWIW, after extensive research, she has us kayaking in Ketchikan.

If you're already going whale watching in Alaska, skip it in Victoria.

Victoria is very walkable and completely safe even in the evenings. The harbour front will have live entertainment and there's usually a night market for shopping as well. There's a place to rent kayaks to take up the gorge. Not sure if they're open in the evenings, but hopefully so. (Victoria Kayak Tours & Rentals).

One of our favourite things to do is take one of the water taxi tours. There are two: one out toward the open ocean and one up the gorge. There's also a hop on/hop off taxi that takes you to several stops around the harbour.

Be sure to stop at Fisherman's Wharf. If you're walking from the cruise port into town, it's on your way. Otherwise, you can walk to it from the inner harbour, or take a water taxi. There are usually seals there looking for fish.

If you want to eat in town instead of on the ship, I recommend The Steamship for a nice dinner with a lovely view. For something a bit cheaper and more lunch-like, try Sam's Deli & Bistro. Big portions and so good!

Be sure to buy Roger's Chocolates. You just can't go to Victoria and not buy them :)

And speaking of Roger, stop by the garden of the Empress Hotel to see Roger the marmot. The best place to meet him is on Humboldt Street. Just bend down and peer into the bushes - he'll come out to you looking for a snack.

If there's a best day of the year to visit Butchart in the evening, you've got it - sunset is after 9pm so you actually have time to get to the gardens and around them in daylight! The rest of Victoria rolls up the sidewalks by about 5pm still (except pubs & restos of course, and some touristy stores on the main drag) so most sightseeing options downtown that involve tickets will cease to let you in very shortly after you arrive, except the Royal BC Museum which stays open late on Fridays in summer.

If you're not garden fans or museum fans, you should stick to eating and drinking - Victoria is a bit of a beer mecca, with two pubs that serve it at the correct drinking temperature, Swans and Spinnakers. There's also a regular too-cold cellar if you've been raised outside the True Faith and believe beer must be very fizzy and refrigerator-cold;-)

Thanks any other tips for Ketchikan? Any tours to see bears?

Too early for peak bear viewing in Ketchikan.

http://www.experienceketchikan.com/bear-viewing-in-alaska.html

As for other suggestions, look at the above link. Read past trip reports to see what other travelers have enjoyed. Look at the town web site and visitor info guide.

I enjoyed wandering around the town looking at Creek St, Married Mans Trail, then a bus ride out to Totem Bight to enjoy the totem display and the stunning location.

My other half and I will be going to Ketchikan and Victoria in June for the first time. We booked a snorkeling tour in Ketchikan - my other half loves to dive and snorkel and we thought it was a pretty unique tour in Alaska.

We are doing the Bering Sea Fisherman (deadliest catch) excursion in June.

Past visits have included the lumberjack show, SE Alaska Discovery center, hiking, and walking Creek Street.

It was sold out so we missed it. :(

I will be taking the same trip as you, on the Bliss, August 11th. PLEASE let me know how your trip was, once you take it and if you have any suggestions/pointers for me. We cannot book our excursions yet, but we are planning on booking:

Ketchikan ~ Bering Sea Greatest Catch tour

Juneau ~ Whale watching, either with the trip to Mendahall Glacier or without, havent decided yet

Scagway ~ Train trip, but from what I am reading here, I am thinking of doing the train/bus combo now

Victoria ~ On our own; I want to go the miniature museum, the Fairmount Hotel and fishermans warf.

We are traveling in a group of 10, ages 75 down to 15. My own two sons are 18 and 21. I would love to get your insiders tips once you take your trip!!

Hi guys here is where we will be going and what we have planned. I'm still trying to decide what to do in Ketchikan and Victoria. Any suggestions? The days in red below are booked, my wife and I are young (under 50) and my kids are 23 and 22. We love animals as well as food and checking out local things. I heard Ketchikan is great to Kayak? Anything better to do?

The Norwegian Bliss offers an Orca boat excursion with our ship only in Victoria. We really can't decide what to do and need some suggestions.

Monday June 18th: Ketchikan, Alaska (7:00 AM - 3:00 PM)

Tuesday June 19th: Juneau, Alaska (7:00 AM - 1:30 PM) - Whale Watching

Wednesday June 20th: Skagway, Alaska (7:00 AM - 5:30 PM) - VIP Train Ride

Friday June 22nd: Victoria, British Columbia (4:00 PM - 10:00 PM)

I will be taking the same trip as you, on the Bliss, August 11th. PLEASE let me know how your trip was, once you take it and if you have any suggestions/pointers for me. We cannot book our excursions yet, but we are planning on booking:

Ketchikan ~ Bering Sea Greatest Catch tour

Juneau ~ Whale watching, either with the trip to Mendahall Glacier or without, havent decided yet

Scagway ~ Train trip, but from what I am reading here, I am thinking of doing the train/bus combo now

Victoria ~ On our own; I want to go the miniature museum, the Fairmount Hotel and fishermans warf.

We are traveling in a group of 10, ages 75 down to 15. My own two sons are 18 and 21. I would love to get your insiders tips once you take your trip!!

I too am doing the train and bus combo in Skagway as all train seems to much...... and you get a different perspective I am told for train then bus. Whale watching on the smaller boats I have seen highly recommended. We are doing Jayleens. Victoria we are doing Buchart Gardens.