March 11, 2018 Conquest sailing- Itinerary change claim w/Nationwide Universal Policy

ButterflyGirly

I just wanted to give an update...

I purchased the Nationwide Universal Cruise policy in October of 2017 for our March 11, 2018 cruise on the Conquest. 15 days later I received notification from Carnival that our itinerary had changed. They changed the order/dates of our ports and added on an additional port (what I call a "bonus port" since we didn't have to pay additional port fees) that we did not originally have on our itinerary. We did not have any ports taken away from us nor did we incur any non-refundable excursion expenses.

Once we returned from the cruise I submitted all of the necessary paperwork to make a claim on my policy March 20, 2018. I am happy to report that I received the full claim value ($500/person for a total of $1,500) on April 19th.

I just wanted to give an update because when I first mentioned this when it happened there were some members who doubted that I would get the claim paid. Although this is NOT why I purchased this policy it sure is nice to have had this benefit on the policy I selected.

I just wanted to give an update...

I purchased the Nationwide Universal Cruise policy in October of 2017 for our March 11, 2018 cruise on the Conquest. 15 days later I received notification from Carnival that our itinerary had changed. They changed the order/dates of our ports and added on an additional port (what I call a "bonus port" since we didn't have to pay additional port fees) that we did not originally have on our itinerary. We did not have any ports taken away from us nor did we incur any non-refundable excursion expenses.

Once we returned from the cruise I submitted all of the necessary paperwork to make a claim on my policy March 20, 2018. I am happy to report that I received the full claim value ($500/person for a total of $1,500) on April 19th.

I just wanted to give an update because when I first mentioned this when it happened there were some members who doubted that I would get the claim paid. Although this is NOT why I purchased this policy it sure is nice to have had this benefit on the policy I selected.

That is good news. I've heard the Nationwide policies (depending on which one you chose) are pretty generous in terms of covering things like changed itineraries and missed ports.

BTW, we were on that same sailing and were not very happy they took away a sea day and gave us Nassau as a replacement. Yes, there were no additional port charges or taxes but we would have much preferred a sea day to another day in Nassau. :(

I am not sure your background on this topic but why was a claim done if a port was added?

Because OP purchased insurance that provides for payment if the itinerary changed. The itinerary changed. OP made a claim. There is no requirement that the change actually result in a loss. (Actually, I assume that was the discussion OP is updating — whether an actual loss is required)

In addition, you might be surprised that some on this board would prefer a three-port cruise to a four-port cruise and would actually consider the extra port to constitute a reduction in the value of the cruise.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We Love Nationwide Ins And it’s the only Cruise Ins we’ll use

Have only used them

Twice so far and got paid $1,500 total each cruise 😜😜💰💰.....First was in 2016 when Carnival canceled Turkey Pre cruise and then last year Carnival canceled one of our ports due to the Hurricanes

Now I pray each cruise a port is changed or canceled 🤣🤣

Oh and I also had people swearing we’d never get paid blah blah blah. Well of course they were WRONG 😜😜

And for people not familiar with Nationwide we get the the middle plan called Nationwide Choice.....They have add on cruise benefits where if Carnival changes or cancels a port Pre Cruise you get paid $750 Each 😃

It’s not available in all states for some reason but it’s the best travel ins we’ve found

The plan also covers $100,000 medical and $500,000 evac. Compared to Carnivals overpriced and under covered plan of only $10,000 medical and $30,000 evac

We have never bought trip insurance so pardon my ignorance. We have a cruise booked for February 2020. Do you know what the cut off date for purchasing insurance would be?

Much later than now for you. :) Insurance can be purchased fairly close to sailing date, but I've never waited that close to sailing to buy it.

However, for "Cancel For Any Reason" insurance you usually have to purchase the insurance within 2 or 3 weeks of your initial cruise payment, depending on the insurance carrier.

I usually compare plans on insuremytrip.com -- it's pretty easy and they DO include Nationwide plans as well as many others.

Much later than now for you. :) Insurance can be purchased fairly close to sailing date, but I've never waited that close to sailing to buy it.

However, for "Cancel For Any Reason" insurance you usually have to purchase the insurance within 2 or 3 weeks of your initial cruise payment, depending on the insurance carrier.

I usually compare plans on insuremytrip.com -- it's pretty easy and they DO include Nationwide plans as well as many others.

Awesome thank you so much for your response!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Curious info.... I just checked Nationwide and their website says it's not available to residents of Florida, among other states. Another posting here on CC was asking about travel insurance, and mentioned Insure My Trip dot com. So I went on that site, and Nationwide shows as available to all US residents. Strange.

We Love Nationwide Ins And it’s the only Cruise Ins we’ll use

Have only used them

Twice so far and got paid $1,500 total each cruise 😜😜💰💰.....First was in 2016 when Carnival canceled Turkey Pre cruise and then last year Carnival canceled one of our ports due to the Hurricanes

Now I pray each cruise a port is changed or canceled 🤣🤣

Oh and I also had people swearing we’d never get paid blah blah blah. Well of course they were WRONG 😜😜

And for people not familiar with Nationwide we get the the middle plan called Nationwide Choice.....They have add on cruise benefits where if Carnival changes or cancels a port Pre Cruise you get paid $750 Each 😃

It’s not available in all states for some reason but it’s the best travel ins we’ve found

The plan also covers $100,000 medical and $500,000 evac. Compared to Carnivals overpriced and under covered plan of only $10,000 medical and $30,000 evac

Do you mind me asking what you pay for this?

The itinerary change protection only pays if you have purchased an excursion at the missed port. From the policy:

In the event a Cruise/Travel Supplier makes a change in Your Trip itinerary after Your actual departure date thatprevents You from participating in an event/activity pre-paid prior to departure and scheduled on Your Trip itinerary,nonrefundable pre-paid event/activity expenses will be reimbursed up to the Maximum Benefit shown on theConfirmation of Coverage.Benefits will not be paid if the event/activity is rescheduled during the course of the Trip.Verification by the Cruise/Travel Supplier of the change in the scheduled Trip itinerary will be necessary for claimpayment.

The itinerary change protection only pays if you have purchased an excursion at the missed port. From the policy:

In the event a Cruise/Travel Supplier makes a change in Your Trip itinerary after Your actual departure date thatprevents You from participating in an event/activity pre-paid prior to departure and scheduled on Your Trip itinerary,nonrefundable pre-paid event/activity expenses will be reimbursed up to the Maximum Benefit shown on theConfirmation of Coverage.Benefits will not be paid if the event/activity is rescheduled during the course of the Trip.Verification by the Cruise/Travel Supplier of the change in the scheduled Trip itinerary will be necessary for claimpayment.

The policy that I had and received the PAID claim for was for an itinerary change BEFORE departure. I did not loose any money on any excursions. The claim was still paid. The itinerary change protection that you have quoted is for when there is a change AFTER departure. Not all plans have the coverage for a change BEFORE departure. I am not speculating that this is covered in my policy. I have already received the money ($1500) for the paid claim. Just wanted to pass on the info in case others are interested.

Do you mind me asking what you pay for this?

Amanda, I paid $183 for the policy that I had. It was for me, DH and DD. It covered the cruise, round trip flights for the 3 of us for the cruise plus a round trip flight for my DD to fly home from college for spring break. I purchased the policy through insuremytrip.com.

Curious info.... I just checked Nationwide and their website says it's not available to residents of Florida, among other states. Another posting here on CC was asking about travel insurance, and mentioned Insure My Trip dot com. So I went on that site, and Nationwide shows as available to all US residents. Strange.

I think that the policy is available to all US residents but the specific part of the policy that covers itinerary changes before departure is limited to residents of certain states.

We have never bought trip insurance so pardon my ignorance. We have a cruise booked for February 2020. Do you know what the cut off date for purchasing insurance would be?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Melissa, I booked my cruise March 2017 for a March 2018 sailing. I purchased the policy in October 2017.

That is good news. I've heard the Nationwide policies (depending on which one you chose) are pretty generous in terms of covering things like changed itineraries and missed ports.

BTW, we were on that same sailing and were not very happy they took away a sea day and gave us Nassau as a replacement. Yes, there were no additional port charges or taxes but we would have much preferred a sea day to another day in Nassau. :(

We weren't really happy about the added port either. I specifically chose this itinerary BECAUSE it did not go to Nassau. DH had not gone on the last 2 cruises with me so I asked him what it would take to get him to go again and his response was "not going to Nassau". We did get off the ship for a short time but them enjoyed the less crowded ship while in port.

I typically don't purchase cruise insurance if driving to port, however I am strongly considering Nationwide Ins for my next cruise. My Citi card covers normal trip cx/travel delay if paid totally on it, but no cx for any reason.

For 3500 cruise and air, age 52/63...cost would be $325 including cx for any reason add-on (work reason possible). I saw the port cx portion and thought it was an awesome benefit. There are many times when I've heard people say, " that port is the only reason I chose that itinerary". While steeply priced for what I need (less without the cx any reason by $100-ish), I would feel better about adding it, at final payment, if I knew there was a chance I could 'score' a pre-trip itinerary change. More than likely, it would be changed already on the ship...and that only covers non-refundable shore excursions. Ships seem to change itineraries frequently in September/October (hurricane season), but typically only while you are already ON the ship, which is not covered the same.

Hearing the OP's experience is really leaning me to purchase that insurance!

We weren't really happy about the added port either. I specifically chose this itinerary BECAUSE it did not go to Nassau. DH had not gone on the last 2 cruises with me so I asked him what it would take to get him to go again and his response was "not going to Nassau". We did get off the ship for a short time but them enjoyed the less crowded ship while in port.

We didn't get off the ship in Nassau and it was great! :)