NOLA-great: City, people, food, port But not the best cruise mates

** Please post your recommendations ONLY in response to request...do not start a new thread. Thanks!
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 04:06 PM.
Richmond VA
247 Posts
Joined Feb 2013
My wife and I are from Virginia and we had never been to New Orleans so we decided to try something different. We booked the Dream which we had been on two times before out of Florida. The residence of New Orleans were fantastic but Once on board We immediately noticed that the people look different and we were totally fine with that there was more diversity they were more tattoos in there was more camo clothing than I thought possible on a cruise ship. I actually was thinking it was going to be a lot of fun because it looked like my in-laws and coworkers. What we found was every time we told folks that we were from Virginia people shut down and stop talking to us. After a few days we realize that we were being profiled as East Coast elitist from a blue state or somesuch nonsense. We have been cruising for decades and never had an experience where we left the ship without having made new friends but on this journey we felt alienated and isolated by the midwesterners and deep Southerners aboard. It was really sad to me that these people judged and dismissed us like this but clearly that was what was happening unfortunately. I could best sum it up to say that these people were nice but not friendly to outsiders. I would never recommend that anyone from the east or West Coast take this cruise but I would strongly recommend that everyone visit New Orleans at least once in their life.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Golden Princess 2004 Southern Caribbean (Best disco)
Crown Princess 2010 Eastern Caribbean (Best food)
Carnival Dream 2012 Western Caribbean (Best teen club)
Carnival Dream 2013 Western Caribbean (Ditto ^)
Carnival Liberty 2014 Eastern Caribbean (Best partiers)
Caribbean Princess 2014 Western Caribbean (Best at NOTHING-least friendly staff, least activities, got FOOD POISONING!)
Carnival Miracle 2015 Hawaii (Best experience)
Carnival Conquest 2016 Western Caribbean (Loved Jamaica)
Carnival Vista 2017 Eastern Caribbean (TBD)
4 hours and 38 minutes from the closest cruise terminal
11,097 Posts
Joined Jan 2003
Here are my two cents. The passenger composition can vary greatly from one cruise to another, even when sailing on the same cruise line from the same port. And I say this after having sailed from most North American ports multiple times, from New York to Los Angeles, from Seattle to Miami, as well as from smaller ports like Mobile and Jacksonville.

I think that a big part of enjoying a cruise is to understand that cruise mates will be vastly different and to understand that you will need to adjust accordingly. Attitude is a big part of it. One moment you may be rubbing elbows with sophisticated world travelers on a premium cruise line, and the next moment you may be having a beer with (like you mentioned) “camo wearing, tattooed” fellow cruisers who may be getting their first taste of cruising (or traveling in general) on a budget cruise line.

Our last cruise was aboard Disney cruise line, and let me tell you, that was one heck of an experience. We are not big Disney fans, and sailing with fellow cruisers who were in the most part rabidly enthusiastic about anything Disney, on a ship where most of the entertainment, down to the background music everywhere on the ship 24 hours a day, was Disney, required A LOT of attitude adjustment.

With the utmost respect, I say that sometimes the culprit of our dissatisfaction with fellow cruisers may reside within us. I say it from experience when I say that sometimes,unconsciously, we may look down upon our fellow cruisers, and even though we may not be blatant about it, others can sense it and this may be a reason why you didn’t develop a rapport with people on your last cruise.

The last thing that I will say is that, in all of my cruises, I’ve found the people from the southern states sailing from gulf coast ports to be the most pleasurable and fun to sail with. I agree that they may not be everyone’s idea of the ideal fellow cruiser, but if you allow yourself, just for the duration of the cruise to embrace those drastic differences, you may perhaps have a completely different perspective about them and about these cruises. For me, that moment came when I found myself singing karaoke as a group with a mechanic from Atlanta, an elderly couple from Talladega, AL, and a firefighter and his wife from Columbus, GA aboard a Carnival ship out of Mobile. Never have I had so much fun on a cruise. And I’m not a Southerner.

Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

TAPI

PHOTO REVIEWS
Our 10th wedding anniversary cruise aboard: Golden Princess
Legoland and the Bahamas aboard:Enchantment of the Seas
Eastern Caribbean aboard: MSC Divina

SAILED:
1981 Cunard Princess / 1982 Cunard Countess / 1984 The Victoria / 1991 Carla Costa / 1993 Monarch of the Seas / 1994 Tropicale / 1996 Royal Majesty / 1998 Viking Serenade / 1999 Dolphin IV / 2000 OceanBreeze / 2000 Carnival Destiny / 2003 Carnival Fascination / 2004 Empress of the Seas / 2005 Carnival Fascination / 2005 Carnival Liberty / 2006 Carnival Imagination / 2006 Carnival Fascination / 2007 Carnival Sensation / 2007 Holiday / 2008 Carnival Liberty / 2009 Carnival Imagination / 2010 Carnival Fascination / 2011 Allure of the Seas / 2011 Carnival Dream / 2013 Westerdam / 2014 Enchantment of the Seas / 2014 Golden Princess / 2016 MSC Divina / 2017 Disney Fantasy

NEXT:
2018 EMPRESS OF THE SEAS - Cuba / 2018 MSC MERAVIGLIA - Western Mediterranean / 2019 REGAL PRINCESS - Atlantic Canadian Provinces / 2020 CARNIVAL PANORAMA - Mexican Riviera

Ottawa, ON
339 Posts
Joined Jan 2015
My only complaint with the passengers on my recent NOLA cruise was their unfamiliarity with elevators. We were on the top floor and it was a 50-50 proposition that when the elevator doors opened there would already be somebody in it who was looking to go down.

Oh, and before boarding the elevator, wait to see if anybody is getting out first.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Norwegian Jewel - Houston / Cozumel / Belize / Trujillo - March 2015
Norwegian Breakaway - New York / Port Canaveral / Great Stirrup Cay / Nassau - November 2015
Norwegian Breakaway - New York / Bermuda - May 2016
Norwegian Pearl - New Orleans / Cozumel / Georgetown / Roatan / Santo Tomas de Castilla / Harvest Caye / Costa Maya - November 2017
2,752 Posts
Joined Jun 2014
Bunch of nonsense. I find that most people on cruises out of New Orleans aren't from Louisiana. They're from all over and want to visit New Orleans. Here are where the people on the roll call for my upcoming Dream cruise are from so far:

Mississippi
Michigan
Kentucky
Florida
Oklahoma
Oklahoma
Tennessee
Louisiana
Arkansas
Mississippi
Alabama
Alabama
Ohio
Georgia
Florida
California
Alabama
Michigan
Louisiana

That's like 10% from Louisiana.

Galveston on the other hand is loaded down with people from Texas. Here's my roll call for my upcoming Galveston cruise:

Oklahoma
Texas
Oklahoma
Texas
Tennessee
Texas
Texas
Texas
Texas
Texas
Texas
Michigan
Texas
Texas
Colorado
Texas
Canada
Texas
Texas
Missouri
Oklahoma
Texas
Canada
Oklahoma
Texas
Texas
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Carnival Breeze 3/4/18
Carnival Triumph 9/11/17
Carnival Freedom 2/18/17
Carnival Triumph 9/12/16
Carnival Elation 2/29/16
Carnival Elation 8/31/15
Carnival Elation 7/7/14
Mid-South U.S.A.
745 Posts
Joined Jun 2009
[quote=imouer;54750912]My wife and I are from Virginia and we had never been to New Orleans so we decided to try something different. We booked the Dream which we had been on two times before out of Florida. The residence of New Orleans were fantastic but Once on board We immediately noticed that the people look different and we were totally fine with that there was more diversity they were more tattoos in there was more camo clothing than I thought possible on a cruise ship. I actually was thinking it was going to be a lot of fun because it looked like my in-laws and coworkers. What we found was every time we told folks that we were from Virginia people shut down and stop talking to us. After a few days we realize that we were being profiled as East Coast elitist from a blue state or somesuch nonsense. We have been cruising for decades and never had an experience where we left the ship without having made new friends but on this journey we felt alienated and isolated by the midwesterners and deep Southerners aboard. It was really sad to me that these people judged and dismissed us like this but clearly that was what was happening unfortunately. I could best sum it up to say that these people were nice but not friendly to outsiders. I would never recommend that anyone from the east or West Coast take this cruise but I would strongly recommend that everyone visit New Orleans at least once in their life.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums[/quote

I am sorry to hear that this was the case for you. I just took a cruise out of New Orleans and while I currently live in the south eventually talking to people my east coast roots were mentioned. Our cruise was the friendliest one we have ever been on. In contrast when we cruised out of New York nobody spoke to us. There wasn't even an organized or informal meet and greet. Everyone was there to spend time just with their immediate group.
Louisiana
74 Posts
Joined Jun 2010
Thank you Saint Greg. I was born in New Orleans and currently live less than an hour from the port. And I don’t behave like this. I love meeting people from ALL over. One of the perks of cruising. And the only camo I own is a jacket because it’s warm. Which to be honest, it doesn’t get cold enough on a cruise to bring one. And I’ve never seen any of my family wearing camo either. I’ve been dissed before because I tried to talk to someone. But would never dream of saying all from a certain area was like that. With thousands of people on a ship, you are bound to run into so many different personalities. Like we say here in southern Louisiana- Laissez les bon temps Roulez - let the good times roll.

Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Carnival Triumph
11-8-10 Room 1303
Progresso, Cozumel

Carnival Conquest
5-6-12 Room 2264
Keywest, Freeport, Nassau

Royal Carribbean Navigator
3-22-15 Room 9253
Roatan, Belize, Cozumel

Carnival Dream
1-24-16 Room 6484

Norwegian Breakaway
11-11-18
Cozumel, Harvest Caye, Costa Maya
2,752 Posts
Joined Jun 2014
Originally posted by trishnmike
Thank you Saint Greg. I was born in New Orleans and currently live less than an hour from the port. And I don’t behave like this. I love meeting people from ALL over. One of the perks of cruising. And the only camo I own is a jacket because it’s warm. Which to be honest, it doesn’t get cold enough on a cruise to bring one. And I’ve never seen any of my family wearing camo either. I’ve been dissed before because I tried to talk to someone. But would never dream of saying all from a certain area was like that. With thousands of people on a ship, you are bound to run into so many different personalities. Like we say here in southern Louisiana- Laissez les bon temps Roulez - let the good times roll.

I'm a few hours north of you. No tattoos. Rarely use the elevator. No camo. I haven't noticed a lot of camo on my five New Orleans cruises. I bring a light jacket but usually don't use it. I started doing that after it rained once on a sea day. Love to cruise out of New Orleans but I really don't meet a lot of people from Louisiana on those cruises.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Carnival Breeze 3/4/18
Carnival Triumph 9/11/17
Carnival Freedom 2/18/17
Carnival Triumph 9/12/16
Carnival Elation 2/29/16
Carnival Elation 8/31/15
Carnival Elation 7/7/14
Louisiana
74 Posts
Joined Jun 2010
Originally posted by Saint Greg
I'm a few hours north of you. No tattoos. Rarely use the elevator. No camo. I haven't noticed a lot of camo on my five New Orleans cruises. I bring a light jacket but usually don't use it. I started doing that after it rained once on a sea day. Love to cruise out of New Orleans but I really don't meet a lot of people from Louisiana on those cruises.

Exactly. Same as you about everything. Which surprised me about the post. I was born and raised here and don’t know anyone like this. Come down here for Mardi Gras, you will see we are a friendly group of people. Explains why they had a great time in NOLA. And not on the ship. And you’re right. I rarely meet anyone from Louisiana when I cruise. Even out of my home port.

Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Carnival Triumph
11-8-10 Room 1303
Progresso, Cozumel

Carnival Conquest
5-6-12 Room 2264

Royal Carribbean Navigator
3-22-15 Room 9253
Roatan, Belize, Cozumel

Carnival Dream
1-24-16 Room 6484

Norwegian Breakaway
11-11-18
Cozumel, Harvest Caye, Costa Maya
Salt Lake
299 Posts
Joined Apr 2009
In the OP's defense, I don't think he felt like all his fellow cruise mates were from LA...it read more like they were from the deep south states, and he felt like because he is from VA, there was perhaps a cultural/political diversity. ??
I read a post not too long ago on the CCL thread about table mates, and this type of conversation came up. It concerns me, I have to admit. I'm booked with my son to sail out of NOLA in a couple months. I have wondered if I would run into this very problem. I live in UT now, but am a true Californian.
I suppose to avoid controversy, I won't pack my son's "Resist Trump" t-shirt.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Cherish every moment of your vacation! The memories we make being with the people we love are priceless, irreplaceable, and unforgettable.
Louisiana
1,996 Posts
Joined Jun 2009
Living in South Louisiana, I have been on many cruises out of New Orleans and many from other cities as well. I can't recall ever seeing any camo on the ships though I may have overlooked some. Southern hospitality is alive and well and has been commented on many times as many consider Southerners the friendliest of all.

New Orleans has about the highest percentage of American cruises of any city I have cruised from. Cities on the East coast usually have a large percentage of European cruisers and cities on the West coast usually have many Asian cruisers so if you don't like sailing with Americans you might be better off booking from one of the other coasts.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Cruises:
Audubon Park Canoe 1958................. ....... President Steamboat 1960
Carnival Celebration 7 day 1995 ............. Norwegian Star 7 day 7-19-2008
Carnival Fantasy 5 day 1-10-2009 ...........HAL Zaandam 7 day 6-12-2009
Carnival Triumph 7 day 1-16-2010........... Pride Of America 7 day7-10- 2010
Norwegian Spirit 7 day 11-29-2010 ........Carnival Triumph 7 day 1-8-2011
Carnival Conquest 7 day 1-29-2012 .........RCI Voyager 7 day 3-31-2012
NCL Star 14 day repo 10-22-2012.......... RCI Navigator 7 day 1-19-2013
Norwegian Pearl 7 day 6-2-2013 ............ Conquest 7 day repo 11-9-2013
Carnival Valor 7 day 11-17-2013 ...............Norwegian Jewel 7 day 2-23-2014
NCL Jewel 15 day repo 4-20-2014.......... Carnival Dream 7 day 8-31-2014
Splendor 8 day repo 11-1-2014 ................ RCI Serenade 7 day 12-13-2014
Norwegian Dawn 7 day 1-18-2015............ Carnival Dream 7 day 2-15-2015
NCL Dawn 14 day repo 10-30-2015 ........ Carnival Dream 10 day repo 1-14-16
NCL Dawn 7 Day "Mardi Gras" 2-7-16.... NCL Dawn 7 day 4-10-16
Carnival Legend 11 day Repo 5-5-2016. "Cinco de Mayo"
MSC Divina 7 day 7-16-16 .........................Carnival Triumph 5 day 10-1-16
Carnival Liberty 7 day 11-19-16......I could not resist a free cruise on a Slow boat to Mexico
NCL Dawn 7 day 1-29-17 ............................HAL Veendam 7 day 5-27-17
MSC Divina 7 day 9-2-17 ..Hurricane Irma extended it to a 14 day cruise.
Carnival Conquest 7 day 9-24-17.....Another free cruise thanks to cancellations from Irma.
NCL Pearl 9 day 11-26-17............................Carnival Dream 7 Day "Mardi Gras" 2-11-18
NCL Sky 4 day Cuba 4-23-18 ....................MSC Seaside 7 day 9-29-18
NCL Gem 7 day 10-20-18 ............................RCL Vision 7 day 1-5-19
96 Posts
Joined Oct 2017
So, I am originally from New Jersey, have lived in Las Vegas, and currently live in Northern Mississippi. I will have to admit The most fun, polite, and personable people I have ever met is with out a dought folks from the South. I worked on Cruise Ships for Years and have been home ported all over the country and Europe. My favorite Home Port was deffinatly New Orleans as everyone boarding was there simply to have fun! Just my opinion.
Richmond VA
247 Posts
Joined Feb 2013
Bunch of nonsense. I find that most people on cruises out of New Orleans aren't from Louisiana. They're from all over and want to visit New Orleans. Here are where the people on the roll call for my upcoming Dream cruise are from so far:

Mississippi
Michigan
Kentucky
Florida
Oklahoma
Oklahoma
Tennessee
Louisiana
Arkansas
Mississippi
Alabama
Alabama
Ohio
Georgia
Florida
California
Alabama
Michigan
Louisiana

That's like 10% from Louisiana.

Galveston on the other hand is loaded down with people from Texas. Here's my roll call for my upcoming Galveston cruise:

Oklahoma
Texas
Oklahoma
Texas
Tennessee
Texas
Texas
Texas
Texas
Texas
Texas
Michigan
Texas
Texas
Colorado
Texas
Canada
Texas
Texas
Missouri
Oklahoma
Texas
Canada
Oklahoma
Texas
Texas
Yes, please re-read my post, there were very few from NOLA on this trip and the ones I met I liked. Notice that there were pretty much no east or west coasters on your list? Yeah, that is what I saw. EVERYONE was nice but very few were actually friendly to US once we mentioned we were from VA. It became painfully obvious that being from a blue state was the issue, we were treated like we were unwelcome once they heard this. Welcome to the post 2016 world I guess. I started counting how often I saw camo and I lost count after 200 on the 3rd day, I own and wear camo myself but not on a glamorous ship. it was embarrassing to be on the ship with these folks.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Caribbean Princess 2014 Western Caribbean (Best at NOTHING-least friendly staff, least activities, got FOOD POISONING!)
2,752 Posts
Joined Jun 2014
Originally posted by imouer
Yes, please re-read my post, there were very few from NOLA on this trip and the ones I met I liked. Notice that there were pretty much no east or west coasters on your list? Yeah, that is what I saw. EVERYONE was nice but very few were actually friendly to US once we mentioned we were from VA. It became painfully obvious that being from a blue state was the issue, we were treated like we were unwelcome once they heard this. Welcome to the post 2016 world I guess. I started counting how often I saw camo and I lost count after 200 on the 3rd day, I own and wear camo myself but not on a glamorous ship. it was embarrassing to be on the ship with these folks.

I think you’re the problem. I’ve never heard politics discussed on any of my cruises. I played trivia with two old ladies from Virginia on my last cruise.

Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Carnival Breeze 3/4/18
Carnival Triumph 9/11/17
Carnival Freedom 2/18/17
Carnival Triumph 9/12/16
Carnival Elation 2/29/16
Carnival Elation 8/31/15
Carnival Elation 7/7/14
Richmond VA
247 Posts
Joined Feb 2013
I think you’re the problem. I’ve never heard politics discussed on any of my cruises. I played trivia with two old ladies from Virginia on my last cruise.

Really? personal attacks now? Who said anything about discussing politics? You make a lot of ASSumptions
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
2,752 Posts
Joined Jun 2014
Really? personal attacks now? Who said anything about discussing politics? You make a lot of ASSumptions

What does blue state mean to you?

Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Carnival Breeze 3/4/18
Carnival Triumph 9/11/17
Carnival Freedom 2/18/17
Carnival Triumph 9/12/16
Carnival Elation 2/29/16
Carnival Elation 8/31/15
Carnival Elation 7/7/14
Florida
813 Posts
Joined Apr 2016
The first few times I said Virginia, and others ran 😀, I would have changed my answer to another state to see if you got the same response.

Maybe folks were just looking for people from their own state to talk to. Just start cruising out of Florida, never ran into issues in my cruises from Miami, Fort Lauderdale, Port Canaveral, or Tampa. Hey not even from Vancouver either.
2,752 Posts
Joined Jun 2014
Looks like this imouer is just trying to start stuff. Most of their recent posts are in a thread called “cruise snobbery” that was closed for harassment. Also see them going into a dog thread just to say “I hate dogs.”

Clearly just looking to start a fight. I’m done with it.

Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Carnival Breeze 3/4/18
Carnival Triumph 9/11/17
Carnival Freedom 2/18/17
Carnival Triumph 9/12/16
Carnival Elation 2/29/16
Carnival Elation 8/31/15
Carnival Elation 7/7/14
Point Richmond CA
6,413 Posts
Joined Jan 2014
My wife and I are from Virginia and we had never been to New Orleans so we decided to try something different. We booked the Dream which we had been on two times before out of Florida. The residence of New Orleans were fantastic but Once on board We immediately noticed that the people look different and we were totally fine with that there was more diversity they were more tattoos in there was more camo clothing than I thought possible on a cruise ship. I actually was thinking it was going to be a lot of fun because it looked like my in-laws and coworkers. What we found was every time we told folks that we were from Virginia people shut down and stop talking to us. After a few days we realize that we were being profiled as East Coast elitist from a blue state or somesuch nonsense. We have been cruising for decades and never had an experience where we left the ship without having made new friends but on this journey we felt alienated and isolated by the midwesterners and deep Southerners aboard. It was really sad to me that these people judged and dismissed us like this but clearly that was what was happening unfortunately. I could best sum it up to say that these people were nice but not friendly to outsiders. I would never recommend that anyone from the east or West Coast take this cruise but I would strongly recommend that everyone visit New Orleans at least once in their life.

Why not the "west coast?" Hopefully you understand that we are primarily an agricultural and fisheries state (not unlike our northern neighbors).

Don't you folks in "Virginnie" still grow "tabacky?"

In any case, we're from SF (49 square miles surrounding need by reality) and I must honestly admit that the only reason I ever go to NOLA is for a food trip and a few very specific museums plus a touch of jazz and zydeco.

Bedford, New Hampshire
165 Posts
Joined Dec 2006
Originally posted by AndyCapn
My only complaint with the passengers on my recent NOLA cruise was their unfamiliarity with elevators. We were on the top floor and it was a 50-50 proposition that when the elevator doors opened there would already be somebody in it who was looking to go down.

Oh, and before boarding the elevator, wait to see if anybody is getting out first.
Unfortunately, lack of elevator courtesy isn't limited to a NOLA cruise, it happens on all cruises. I don't know if its actual ignorance or just part of the "all about me" attitude that seems to be prevalent these days.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
My first cruise was on RMS Carinthia (Transatlantic) at age of 3, been loving it ever since!