"Human like" towel creatures!

Host Dan

On the Legend cruise I just disembarked, we were delighted (actually a bit disturbed at first) to have a human towel creature in our suite one night! He was sitting on the couch with a robe, hat and glasses, reading the newspaper! Some other guests found their creature in bed (with a bottle of spirits) and even on the toilet! Anyone else "experience" this? With 50 cruises under my belt, this was a first!! :p :) :D

Host Dan

We were on Sojourn recently and one morning we were chatting to our stewardess, we got talking about our dog Sandy, I showed her a pic of him sat in my arms while we watch TV together.....we thought no more......that evening after dinner she had made a full size dummy of me and Sandy sat in the chair, watching TV, my sunglasses on, him eating treats out of my hand.......it was a stunning likeness especially as she had only seen the pic for a second. To disguise legs the mannequin has a blanket where the legs should be dropping to the floor, with a pair of my shoes sticking out!! It must have taken her ages to do.

I do agree when we walked into the room it gave us both a shock for a second.

We did take some pictures and if I haven't deleted them I will post them.

Las year on our Legend cruise, I found this creature on a chair with my sunglasses, sunhat and shawl around her shoulders. This was the only time I saw this. The Legend seems to retain more of its staff than the other ships. Wonder if this may be the result.

Anyone else "experience" this? With 50 cruises under my belt, this was a first!! :p :) :D

Host Dan

I've had towel people on my 2 most recent Carnival cruises...they must be rolling that skill out to their other holdings... :rolleyes:

The idea could also have come from the crew. Though Seabourn trains their employees they do hire folks who have worked for other lines.

They tried it once before and, apparently, it was a disaster. While some people loved it, some others got a nasty shock at the unexpected 'person' in their suite and Seabourn was inundated with complaints. Quite surprised they tried it again.

I can understand the "nasty shock" thing. The large monkey towel that hangs on a hanger and is often staged with a pair of sunglasses was enough to give me a bit of a turn - even though I know that creature from many other cruises.

I am glad to have heard about this - good to be forewarned! We have had lots of cute creatures, some wearing our glasses, but I would find a human sized 'towelling animal' pretty scary if I hadn't heard about them here first. Thanks for the tip everyone.

Yep...returned to our Legend cabin after a lovely evening to find 'towel man' sitting on the sofa, my sunglasses and wife's straw hat on.

Just another fun touch SB afforded us...

I would make a loud, rude, exclamation if I found that sitting in my room :eek:

We had this wonderful experience on our first SB cruise over 11 years ago. We returned from a day on shore to find "wine lady" reclining on our sofa ( the bathrobe with my straw and and sunglasses, my copy of Wine Spectator in one "hand" and a wine bottle in the other). We loved it but did ask our stewardess if we were going to be charged for a third passenger in our suite. Two days later "cigar man" showed up -- bathrobe, baseball cap with "life is too short to smoke cheap cigars" on it, a banana nose, a copy of Cigar Aficionado in one hand and a rolled up paper in the other bent toward the face to look like one of my husband's cigars. Priceless! I continue to love all of the towel animals( I have a great photo album of them) but those two "people" will always be my favorites.

Does anyone seriously mistake a towel man for a real one? Do we all object to snowmen now too?

Course not......however when you get back to your room and its late, a little dark, you've had a few drinks and are tired.........as you walk in your room, you see Mr Snowman sitting there with hat, scarf glasses and shoes on.......well for a split second we were slightly shocked........then we thought it was a great surprise.

Archived