(Cross-post with Silversea): I'm in Mourning...Caviar Ban on Imports

MuseCruiser

The NY Times reports that there is now a ban on caviar imports from the major caviar producing countries. I guess this will affect our caviar experience on Seabourn (and Silversea). I know this is 'good' in the sense of re-populating the sturgeon population (and of course that's most important) but still, a guy can mourn his caviar loss, right?

Has anyone else noticed THE BEST hamburgers AND French fries, in the world are on the Seabourn ships????

NO hamburger can compare to these......fresh ground beef.....and I think the fries are "twice fried!"

MB

Sorry, Marita, Seabourn does most everything to perfection, but Nathan's Hot Dogs makes the best fries! They are "Legend"ary in New York!

Matt.....if I do hear of Seabourn REinstating our "Three Day Tour" I will e-mail you ASAP! (it depends on if the yearly schedule has the 3 days "left over" after the Pride Fall Crossing......this year the ship was chartered by the Ryder Cup folks and there were no days left for our "Gilligan's Island Tour".......BOO HOO!:mad: )

MB

Come on all you Americans

Everyone knows that you can live on Hamburgers!

John

Ok, John, speaking of food, any new restaurant suggestions for my next trip to London? The Greenhouse was a real winner. (Prolly February since my January jaunt is a cooking class with Paula Deen in Savannah).

Thanks!

Has anyone else noticed THE BEST hamburgers AND French fries, in the world are on the Seabourn ships????

NO hamburger can compare to these......fresh ground beef.....and I think the fries are "twice fried!"

MB

The restaurant manager told me last month that their beef is USDA Prime (maybe from Texas?!?). I really liked the fries too, very crispy. One day there were six of us at a table in the Veranda and one ordered fries. We all sampled them and had the poor waiter running back for one and then two more orders!

I also think there may be hope for caviar. The ban is not permanent ... just in place until the main Central Asian and Black Sea producers can agree on sturgeon fishing limitations: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/4577100.stm

Jane,

While we can't claim Norm and other London local's expertise, we have visited London about twice a year over the past ten years and sampled many spots with friends who live there.We have two favorite restaurants -- Verbanella is a very charming little italian restaurant on chi chi Beauchamp Street in Knightsbrige and in Kew, the Glasshouse serves very "modern" food exceedingly well prepared.

Chairsin,

Thanks for the recommendations. As you are off to climb Macchu Pichu I am off to dine on crawfish and things larded with butter!

Have a wonderful trip! We will expect a full account, of course, so we can live vicariously.

I won't miss the caviar, but wonder if they could have the cheese souffle on the surfboard. I might wade out for that!

Hi Jane,

London is a bit quiet at the moment after the busy time we had at Christmas and New year.I have indulged too much in the cuisine department but the Wolseley is still doing well as is Gordon Ramsey. He has just bought a new Bentley so I am sure the accountant is pleased with him.

Browns Hotel has re-opened its doors after a year long total refurbishment and it is well worth a visit as this Hotel is nicely situated and the Restaurant will do well.Marco Pierre White has opened a new Restaurant in St James Street just around the corner from your favourite Hotel (The Stafford) it is called Luciano and is named after his son.The food is good and convenient for you to walk back to the Stafford

John

Thanks for the update! I shall be staying a bit longer since I am not heading to a port city to join Seabourn.

I figure that with what I spent on the two meals at Ramsay's, I have bought a signal light for his new car. That reminded me of when I was having dental work and the chair looked out over the office parking lot and I stared straight into the spot where said dentist parked his new Mercedes.

I haven't been to Brown's since '79, and that was for tea. My parents used to stay there all the time. I should give it a look, for sure. And Luciano's sounds good. There is that Italian restaurant nearby Wilton's, but I wasn't too impressed.

Actually, the Stafford's hotel restaurant is very good but they don't seem to get much 'street' traffic, but do lots of parties, apparently. That being said, they had no room for me in the DR for Christmas lunch, and I was not going to eat in the Bar or my room, so I didn't go. The Stafford has purchased the building opposite their Mews and plan a big expansion.

Seems like with all the recommendations I shall be too busy eating to go to the theater. Thanks again.

Archived