Civitavecchi (Rome) free port shuttle bus and accessibility of area

kokopelli-az

We will be on the Epic in Civitavecchi Oct 3. We won't be going into Rome this time; however, we were hoping it would be somewhat simple to spend some time off the ship in Civitavecchi. A couple of questions:

1. Does the free port shuttle accommodate scooters? (we also have a wheelchair if we need to use that instead)

2. Is it possible to walk/scoot from the ship (scheduled to dock at Pier 12BIS(N)) to the port exit gate (Largo della Pace) instead of taking the shuttle?

3. Once dropped off, is there anything to see/do that is very close to the drop-off site? We do not plan on going very far.

4. How accessible is the area around the drop-off place and also the area as a whole?

I've been told that the shuttle bus stop has been changed since I was last there, however the map I found on Chivitavecchia Port website indicates the shuttle bus stop is still in the same location. Regardless, the shuttle buses were wheelchair accessible, we got both scooters on the same bus both going to and coming from the ship. We have also scooted into town and enjoyed our little tour just wandering around. It is approximately a mile from the pier to the where the little dot for “Chivitavecchia" on this map: https://www.civitavecchiaport.org/from-the-port-to-civitavecchia-train-station/.

I do not recall having any problems scooting around town. We did stop in a little candy store and bought some almonds. They had some sort of thin coating, not candy, regardless they sure were good.

I personally would write to the port (contact info on site above) and verify the details. In the past, I have received conflicting info between the port and the ship and to the point the ship actually confirmed the ship was wrong.

Have a wonderful cruise,

Betty

Regardless, the shuttle buses were wheelchair accessible, we got both scooters on the same bus both going to and coming from the ship.

So you were able to get a scooter on the bus, correct? (It will be the GoGo Sport.)

And I have contacted the port about this but haven't heard back from them yet. I'll post what they say.

So you were able to get a scooter on the bus, correct? (It will be the GoGo Sport.)

And I have contacted the port about this but haven't heard back from them yet. I'll post what they say.

Yes, that is correct. Actually both scooters were the small Go Go Pride plus our suit cases (my suitcase is attached to the back of mine making the overall assembly about 12 inches longer). Actually, Chivitavecchia is one of the easier ports to get around in.

Information for all interested in this thread: I contacted the Civitavecchia Port Mobility people inquiring about being able to take a scooter on board the free port shuttle buses and here is their response -

"Yes you can bring on our shuttles your scooter or your wheelchair. There’s a ramp with which you can get on board on some of our buses.

You can ask our operators for help at the infopoint of largo della Pace, main cruise bus terminal of the port."

They also sent this email link which doesn't answer the "scooters on the bus" question but it does say that Largo della Pace (the port exit) can "easily be reached from the port both by walk and using the free shuttle service." https://civitavecchia.portmobility.it/en/largo-della-pace-service-center-port-civitavecchia

When we arrive, I'll check how far we seem to be from Largo Della Pace and decide whether we will scoot or walk.

Glad to hear you got confirmation from the port.

You can also use Google maps to determine distance. After you have entered and located your starting address, select the "direction" option and then select your destination on the map. I normally, select the "walk" (little man walking) option for route. In Europe that can be iffy because of step streets, thus drive option can be safer some places.

Have a wonderful cruise,

Betty

• 2 weeks later...

I have a question about disabled access to the ship in Civi. My husband and I are both disabled. Wetravel with a scooter and a Rollator and we do not push pull or lift bags. We are staying at a hotel in Civitavecchia but will be unable to get ourselves to the shutte bus to the pier.

If we order a private car from our hotel will be be able to go right up to the ship or do we have to take the shuttle bus?

My memory is not perfect and that was almost 10 years ago. We shared a vehicle going to the airport and I think we were picked up at the ship. Looking at the website, it appears that cars can enter the area. https://civitavecchia.portmobility.it/en/port-civitavecchia-address-how-get-and-useful-info. To be positive, I would suggest you write to the port again.

When we took the shuttle bus on our last trip, the bus driver or someone else at the bus stops assisted Ruth with her luggage. My suitcase is attached to the back of my scooter and goes right on buses with m.

Just realized you are boarding today. You are probably already at the ship.

Have a wonderful cruise..

• 1 month later...

Hi folks. We are home from our wonderful cruise that departed from Civitavecchia. We did get a cab from the hotel( actually a van because of the Rollator and the scooter). We were taken directly to the ship. Others who took cabs said that their fare was less to the shuttle bus. Actually, at least $10. Less so if you want to save money, take your taxi only to the shuttle.