Donkey Business on Santorini

Hlitner

• 2 weeks later...

We own donkeys. Ours are too small to be used like that(one is a regular sized donkey but elderly and the other is a miniature.)

I wouldn't ride one of those donkeys if I was paid to do it. My donkeys would leave home if I tried to make them do something like that. I guess our donkeys live really well.

Also, donkey poo is not that bad, folks. We walk in it/around it nearly every day. It hasn't killed us yet. They are vegetarians.

This is a personal choice.

Donkeys are used all over the world for thousands of years for labor. (and so are Oxes, Bullicks, Horses, etc.)

Personally, find animal smell (donkey or horse or mule or whatever) too much to ride them anywhere.

However, I was surprised to notice that CONTRARY to what is commonly heard, these donkeys were quite well fed and strong. (Obviously there was no way to verify any abuse behind the screen)

Again, this is personal choice.

Bit also interesting to observe that people who scream the most about animal abuse usually are the ones who eat animals for breakfast, lunch and dinner!!!

• 1 month later...

I was appalled at the conditions of some of those mules. Some had open sores and drainage from eyes. I also think it dangerous when they allow them to race up unattended either with or without a rider on them. I got hit in head and had to hang on to wall to keep from going over when we saw them running up.

• 2 weeks later...
This is a personal choice.

Donkeys are used all over the world for thousands of years for labor. (and so are Oxes, Bullicks, Horses, etc.)

Personally, find animal smell (donkey or horse or mule or whatever) too much to ride them anywhere.

However, I was surprised to notice that CONTRARY to what is commonly heard, these donkeys were quite well fed and strong. (Obviously there was no way to verify any abuse behind the screen)

Again, this is personal choice.

Bit also interesting to observe that people who scream the most about animal abuse usually are the ones who eat animals for breakfast, lunch and dinner!!!

Surely this can only be classed as persona; chice if the Donkey chooses to be ridden !!

I have seen the donkeys in Fira , that is one hell of a climb with large tourist on your back , they certainly do not look fine at all

( Btw I do do not eat meat , and I would say the people who scream the most , in my experience , are people who dont eat meat )

The article says that the maximum weight a donkey should carry is 8 stones.

1 stone = 14 lbs.

8 stones = 111 lbs = 50 kg

So, if you weigh more consider taking the cable car.

Yes, various websites recommend a max rider weight of 111lb50kg for an average-size donkey.

But there are no donkeys carrying cruisers on Santorini.

They're mules.

And those same websites recommend a max rider weight of around double that for a donkey, around 220lb / 100kg

Not comentin', just sayin' ;)

JB :)

The article says that the maximum weight a donkey should carry is 8 stones.

1 stone = 14 lbs.

8 stones = 111 lbs = 50 kg

So, if you weigh more consider taking the cable car.

It's been quite a while since 4th grade multiplication for me, but I am pretty sure that 8x14=112 :halo:

When we were in Santorini in June I commented that the "donkeys" sure looked like mules to this long ago transplanted farm boy. :confused: