Devastated - Need to cancel cruise five days out

• 1 month later...

This is my update on our cruise cancellation. My brother passed away on August 14. We filed an insurance claim with the insurance company and just learned today that they will be refunding the cost of our cruise. The airline was very compassionate and refunded the cost of our airline tickets.

Although we are happy that we have recouped our travel costs, we are still reeling from my brother's passing. The kindness of the airline and the resolution of our insurance claim have relieved some of our stress.

Thanks to everyone for your advice and kind words during this difficult time - it was much appreciated.

This is my update on our cruise cancellation. My brother passed away on August 14. We filed an insurance claim with the insurance company and just learned today that they will be refunding the cost of our cruise. The airline was very compassionate and refunded the cost of our airline tickets.

Although we are happy that we have recouped our travel costs, we are still reeling from my brother's passing. The kindness of the airline and the resolution of our insurance claim have relieved some of our stress.

Thanks to everyone for your advice and kind words during this difficult time - it was much appreciated.

May his memory be a blessing. z"l

Last year I was planning on flying to New Orleans to visit my sister in law. She passed away about 2 weeks before we were due to travel. I called AA to cancel my flight. I didn't have travel insurance, so i figured i was out of luck. They gave me compassion and gave us $1250 in future credit. It was an incredible gesture in a bad time.

I've since learned to always always always get trip insurance, and maybe-just-maybe someone can be kind along the way.

Sorry about your brother. Peace to your family.

I only had time to read the original post, so if this is a duplication of other information I apologize - but some credit cards have travel insurance built it (mostly the travel cards, such as the Chase Reserve and Sapphire and some American Express cards, but perhaps a few others as well). Most require prior notification. I am so sorry about your brother, these things so often come at the worst times - I hope somehting can be worked out (if only a decent human being working for the cruise line OR reservation agency who can put the money toward another cruise).

FYI - Many people may already know this, but in my Pinyan using travel card came really be helpful, not only because you get points for the use, but you get out the great benefits like no fee for foreign currency and often some really great travel insurance.

EDIT - Skimmed down and saw that you lost your brother. I am so sorry to hear that. Having lost a father and husband in 5 months, I know too well just how hard it is to say goodbye. But clearly you were there for him and I know he must have felt the love ❤️

Lynn

I am so sorry that you have had to go through this and the loss I know is hard. I am so glad for you that the costs have been covered as added stress definitely is not needed at times like these. Hubby & I were out of town for a wedding in June and the morning of the wedding we got a call first thing that his mother passed (totally unexpected) . I called the airlines to change tickets and told them why. They offered condolences and just said it would be cheaper to buy new return tickets than pay for the ticket change fee on top of the ticket costs. (never bought insurance for an airline ticket before, but will now) So glad they were so caring. Needless to say, I just bought the tickets.

All my sympathies to and your family.

Erika

Thanks. We do have the insurance through Royal but not sure how easy it is to make a claim without jumping through hoops.

Not hard.

Contact them and they will tell you what you need to submit.

My Dad had to claim for my Mother. Medical, med evac, shortened cruise, hotel and such until the evac.

No problem, once he supplied the required documents.

I am very happy to hear that you were able to get the amounts refunded from RCCL and the airline. You have my deepest sympathies for the loss of your brother. Hopefully you will find peace and comfort in the upcoming weeks and recall positive memories of your time with him. If possible, I hope you were able to put the refunds aside so that when you are ready, you can go on another cruise and get some time to relax and reflect.

I am very happy to hear that you were able to get the amounts refunded from RCCL and the airline. You have my deepest sympathies for the loss of your brother. Hopefully you will find peace and comfort in the upcoming weeks and recall positive memories of your time with him. If possible, I hope you were able to put the refunds aside so that when you are ready, you can go on another cruise and get some time to relax and reflect.

Thank you for your kind words.

Yeah, personal choice. I haven't purchased travel insurance, but I'm also o.k. if something came up last minute and I lost my cruise fare and cost of flights.

Edit: OP, thank you for circling back with the outcome. So sorry for your loss.

Dan

Thank you for your words.

I am so sorry that you have had to go through this and the loss I know is hard. I am so glad for you that the costs have been covered as added stress definitely is not needed at times like these. Hubby & I were out of town for a wedding in June and the morning of the wedding we got a call first thing that his mother passed (totally unexpected) . I called the airlines to change tickets and told them why. They offered condolences and just said it would be cheaper to buy new return tickets than pay for the ticket change fee on top of the ticket costs. (never bought insurance for an airline ticket before, but will now) So glad they were so caring. Needless to say, I just bought the tickets.

All my sympathies to and your family.

Erika

Thank you.

You said you have insurance through Royal, and that is how you will make a claim. We made a claim last year after my cancer diagnosis (could not take the cruise, mere hours away from boarding) and yes, you will have to prove your claim but don't think of it as "jumping through hoops". If you have coverage for this situation, you will be covered, pretty simple.

If it is like my situation, Royal and your credit card company and your work insurance and any other kind of insurer will all be talking to each other.

I'm sorry to hear of the imminent passing of your brother. This is and will continue to be a difficult time for you and your family. God bless you all.

Thank you.