How is the Bus Service?

A.S.

Now that cruise season has started, are the busses running according to schedule?

We will be there in a few weeks, and would like to take a bus from the Dockyard to Hamilton.

Read a while ago that there was some kind of shortage? Is everything OK now?

Bus service has been deteriorating for some time, and shows no sign of any impending improvement . There are too many old buses that break down frequently, and cancellations are numerous.

We used to ride the buses in Bermuda a lot, but now we avoid them if we at all can.

You'll be much better off taking a ferry to Hamilton, although even ferry service has been cut back from previous years.

Now that cruise season has started, are the busses running according to schedule?

We will be there in a few weeks, and would like to take a bus from the Dockyard to Hamilton.

Read a while ago that there was some kind of shortage? Is everything OK now?

We take the bus but our preference is the ferry .It is very relaxing.

Well, that doesn't sound good.

I was so looking forward to that beautiful scenic drive along the South Shore we did many times.

Not sure if we should still attempt it.

Thank you for all the helpful replies. It breaks my heart that I have to skip that beautiful ride.

I am confused about the ferry. If I just want to go to Hamilton, would I ask for the Pink Route?

If so, how much would that cost? I'll be there on a Saturday if that matters.

Thank you for all the helpful replies. It breaks my heart that I have to skip that beautiful ride.

I am confused about the ferry. If I just want to go to Hamilton, would I ask for the Pink Route?

If so, how much would that cost? I'll be there on a Saturday if that matters.

You would take the Blue Route. You won’t have to worry about which route to take from the Dockyard since the Blue Route will be the only ferry running on Saturday from the Dockyard. On your return to the Dockyard make sure you get on the Blue Route at the Hamilton Ferry terminal. The fare would be $4.50 each ferry trip if you buy a token or $5 each trip if you pay with cash.

Thank you again. After I posted I realized I would have to take the Blue Route.

Only problem is from what I'm seeing it only runs every 1 1/2 hours compared to the bus which is every 1/2 hour. I'm looking at Saturday.

Not sure what I'll do since we'll only be in Bermuda for 1 day. We have been to the beaches. Just wanted to see Hamilton again, but I guess that's too much to ask.

Was such a pleasure when the ships docked there. I know the Dockyard has a lot to offer now, but it's not Hamilton.

Well, that doesn't sound good.

I was so looking forward to that beautiful scenic drive along the South Shore we did many times.

Not sure if we should still attempt it.

I did notice the bus schedule was not very prompt. But I rode the bus since I too enjoy the scenic rides. Go for it when you have no agenda to check off or have no time constraint, in case there are any delays. I did not face any problems or delays. However, I did find that one evening the Hamilton bound #7 and # 8 were very scarce and those that did come bye did not take on any passengers.

However, I did find that one evening the Hamilton bound #7 and # 8 were very scarce and those that did come bye did not take on any passengers.

The #7 and #8 don’t take any passengers on Front Street. You have to catch them at the bus terminal on Church St. or on Church St. further west.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The #7 and #8 don’t take any passengers on Front Street. You have to catch them at the bus terminal on Church St. or on Church St. further west.

Charles, I was trying to get the #7 and # 8 bus from the dockyard at the designated bus stop across from (the craft market) to Hamilton, not the other way around.

Charles, I was trying to get the #7 and # 8 bus from the dockyard at the designated bus stop across from (the craft market) to Hamilton, not the other way around.

I misread what you wrote. Reading too fast on my phone. Those buses must have been headed to the bus yard.

Edited by Charles4515

We are in Bermuda right now. Getting a bus at the Dockyard has always required some patience but don't be afraid to climb on and ride to Hamilton. It's a lovely drive. We have been riding on buses back and forth across the island and haven't encountered any delays (yet).

It was VERY quiet in St. George yesterday. The bus arrived on time and we were the only

passengers for a good while. There were no people waiting at the stops.

At the Bus Depot in Hamilton, the routes to the Dockyard were also on time so don't be afraid to go...just skip rush hour if you can.

I appreciate all the comments, but we will be there only one day, and that's a Saturday.

Might be a different scenario. I guess we'll decide when we get there. Thanks

We are in Bermuda right now. Getting a bus at the Dockyard has always required some patience but don't be afraid to climb on and ride to Hamilton. It's a lovely drive. We have been riding on buses back and forth across the island and haven't encountered any delays (yet).

It was VERY quiet in St. George yesterday. The bus arrived on time and we were the only

passengers for a good while. There were no people waiting at the stops.

At the Bus Depot in Hamilton, the routes to the Dockyard were also on time so don't be afraid to go...just skip rush hour if you can.

ComfyOne - Thank you for all your information, I truly appreciate it. Quick question .. .approximately how long was the bus ride from the Dockyard to Hamilton? Thanks again!

It's 30 to 40 minutes, depending on the stops (Route 8).

I'm still in Bermuda (not on a cruise this time - we have rented a house) and the buses still seem to be running fine. We have not waited more than a few minutes. The system is ticking along okay.

It's 30 to 40 minutes, depending on the stops (Route 8).

I'm still in Bermuda (not on a cruise this time - we have rented a house) and the buses still seem to be running fine. We have not waited more than a few minutes. The system is ticking along okay.

Wonderful! Thank you so much for taking the time from your vacation to reply. Enjoy your time in Bermuda! My first time and I'm so excited to go (October).

ComfyOne - Thank you for all your information, I truly appreciate it. Quick question .. .approximately how long was the bus ride from the Dockyard to Hamilton? Thanks again!

According to the published bus schedule, the travel time for Hamilton<>Dockyard is 62 minutes for both routes.

SBtS

According to the published bus schedule, the travel time for HamiltonDockyard is 62 minutes for both routes.

SBtS

That is average run time in the schedule. The actual run time could be less or more than that. The actual run time depends on traffic congestion and number of stops. I think saying about an hour would be the best answer. The bus possibly could make it in 40 minutes if there is no traffic and no one gets on or off between the Dockyard and Hamilton.

Oh well, I stand corrected! I'm taking the buses and not reading your schedules.

The drivers go like mad and then have a break at the end before the next run.

I have been a number of times from Hamilton to St. George and it takes about 45 to 50 minutes...but seriously, if you have to clock your vacation down to the minute...that is not my kind of vacation. I love taking the buses. It's like Mr. Toads Wild Ride!!

I only popped into this conversation because you all were talking so much about

the terrible bus situation here and it had me quite worried about coming. Now

I see that isn't true...not at this point.

Some of the buses do need maintenance (no air conditioning etc) but they are definitely trying to keep up.

I'm heading off to the Dockyard this morning. I will bring a stop watch!! ;p

Oh well, I stand corrected! I'm taking the buses and not reading your schedules.

I have been a number of times from Hamilton to St. George and it takes about 45 to 50 minutes...but seriously, if you have to clock your vacation down to the minute...that is not my kind of vacation. I love taking the buses. It's like Mr. Toads Wild Ride!!

Some of the buses do need maintenance (no air conditioning etc) but they are definitely trying to keep up.

Glad you're not having any trouble with the buses, but on Wednesday June 6 there were 87 bus runs cancelled . Some were school routes that wouldn't have affected other riders, but lots of regular route runs were dropped. This has been occurring on almost a daily basis for months and months. Read bernews.com for the list of Wednesday's cancellations : http://bernews.com/2018/06/ministry-39-bus-runs-cancelled-wednesday-2/ .

Also the poster WendyCity11 asked for the bus travel time between Hamilton and Dockyard. You gave the travel time you've experienced between Hamilton and St. George, 45 to 50 minutes. Different routes, different travel times. Scheduled travel time on the #10 and 11 routes between Hamilton and St. George is 50 minutes, as opposed to 62 minutes between Hamilton and Dockyard on #7 or 8.

I've been riding the buses in Bermuda for more than 30 years. There's no way the #8 between Hamilton and Dockyard could take as little as the low end of 30 minutes as you claimed.

Edited by njhorseman

The discussion was centered around Dockyard to Hamilton. The average run time from Hamilton to St. George in the schedule is 50 minutes so the schedule seems pretty accurate from your experience. From my experiences riding the buses I believe the schedule is accurate about the Hamilton to Dockyard run time of 62 minutes for the #8 and it will normally take about an hour.

You are on a land vacation and have the time to take your time. That is great. The person who asked the question is on a cruise vacation and has only one day. Something like 8-4. So they do need to worry about the time. So with the info posted they can make up their mind.

I have been on buses in Bermuda where the air conditioning did not work and it is very unpleasant. Especially for 50 to 60 minutes. Had that situation once from St.Georges to Hamilton. Ugh. Had to stand most of the way too. Double ugh.

Edited by Charles4515

I am with you!

It is IMPOSSIBLE to state what you have done and seen on this Bermuda board without being chided and run down by some who monopolize the thread and think they are the only authority. It is getting TOTALLY RIDICULOUS!

But enjoy your stay, YOU are in beautiful Bermuda!