Hop On, Hop Off bus in Panama City?

konatyme

Does anyone have any experience with the Hop On Hop Off bus in Panama City? We will be on the Coral Princess Jan. of 2019, want to tour Casco Viejo (the "old town" in Panama City), and wonder if this would be a good way to do that (as well as get a quick overview of the rest of the city). I looked at their website, but don't know how to get from Fuerte Amador, where we will tender, to one of the bus stops, or if that's even possible. I looked at some other Panama City tours, but most of them spend time at the locks and other places, and we mostly want to visit old town. I'd really appreciate any info that anyone might have. Thanks!

Full disclosure, I have not used HOHO in Panama... I did look at the route map and the spot where you would be able to hop on would be stop 8, Isla Flamenco which is near where you will tender ashore.

They had the following note about the Flamenco stop... I have not been out there in some time so I can't offer any insight as to how much of a walk it actually is.

"Guests are reminded to check with the Cruise Ship which location they will be docking in to in Panama.

Guests whom are arriving into Flamenco will be able to locate the City Sightseeing buses outside of the gate of Fort Amador which is an approx. five minute walk from the ship"

Edit: Just so there is not any confusion Casco Viejo and Casco Antiguo is the same place. Occasionally you see it referred the Colonial District or San Felipe as well. However Panama Viejo is a different place.

Saw that, but we're really not interested in any tours that go to places on the Canal, since we'll be going through it the next day.:) We are traveling with a couple who are architects and are really interested in the "old town", so want to have plenty of time there. I thought the HOHO might work for a quick overview of the city & then we could get off in Casco Viejo and spend plenty of time there. Was just worried about how to get to one of the HOHO stops where we could start their tour.

Saw that, but we're really not interested in any tours that go to places on the Canal, since we'll be going through it the next day.:) We are traveling with a couple who are architects and are really interested in the "old town", so want to have plenty of time there. I thought the HOHO might work for a quick overview of the city & then we could get off in Casco Viejo and spend plenty of time there. Was just worried about how to get to one of the HOHO stops where we could start their tour.

I think there is a walking tour that does not include the locks.

Oh konatyme, if you are traveling with a couple of architect types then you need to go to the ruins of the Church of Santo Domingo in the Casco Viejo. This is also know as the Iglesia del Archo Chato or the Church of the Flat Arch. It was built somewhere around the 1760s and the "flat" arch survived until about 2003 when it collapsed as a result of really heavy concussion from a fireworks display. They have since rebuilt the arch and it is still an impressive piece of construction, I'm sure your architect friends would really enjoy this piece of engineering. The flat arch is just behind the main entry.

A picture my wife snapped this pic of it as we zoomed by on the bus...

2z6i93l.jpg

Here is some more info on the Flat Arch...

https://havecamerawilltravel.com/places/church-santo-domingo-flat-arch-panama-city/

Thanks, BillB48. We will be going to Casco Viejo for sure. Good to know something special to look for. We just need to figure out the best way to get there & spend some time. I don't think we want to be in a big group--would rather be able to look around at our own pace.

(I tried posting this once, but it didn't seem to go. If it shows up twice, I apologize!)

Thanks, BillB48. We will go to Casco Viejo for sure, just need to figure out exactly how to do it. I appreciate the pic and info--we will be sure to look for this. We really don't want to visit on a large group tour, as we'd rather have time to look around at our own pace.

(I tried posting this once, but it didn't seem to go. If it shows up twice, I apologize!)

Thanks, BillB48. We will go to Casco Viejo for sure, just need to figure out exactly how to do it. I appreciate the pic and info--we will be sure to look for this. We really don't want to visit on a large group tour, as we'd rather have time to look around at our own pace.

You know if you want to concentrate your activities to the Casco Antiguo (Viejo) you may want to consider hiring a cab for the day, there should be some available in the area where the tender lands.

Another place that would be interesting to see is the Iglesia de San Jose, better know as the Church of the Golden Altar. This is not the original site of the Golden Altar as it was originally in Panama Viejo. The Altar was moved to the present location from Panama Viejo (about 7 miles away) when the Casco Antiguo was founded in the 1670s after Henry Morgan's welcomed visit in 1671. The the larger portions of the altar were painted with pitch to hide the gold leaf while pieces that could be moved were submerged in shallow areas of Panama Bay. There is a story that the caretaker of the church pleaded with Morgan that the church was so impoverished that they could not afford a proper altar. According to the story Morgan took pity and left them a donation. Have no idea if there is any truth to the story or not, but makes an interesting story.

The Presidential Palace is also located in the Casco Antiguo (Palacio de Garzas, the palace of herons), back in the day you were permitted to walk into the lobby among the herons roaming about. Have no idea if that is still permitted or not.

The Canal Museum is also located in the Casco Antiguo as well, the building dates back to French effort as it was the headquarters of the French Canal Company.

Lots to take in...

(Just a reminder... Casco Antiguo/Viejo is the same place. Panama Viejo is the ruins of the original City. I found when speaking about the two places and using Viejo for both of them, it can plant the seeds of confusion )

Thanks again! I'm taking notes :). So is there anything to see in Panama Viejo or do we need to concentrate on Casco Antiguo/Viejo? If we just hired a taxi at the port & got a ride to Casco Antiguo, would it be easy to find another one to take us back when we were done?

Mostly just the ruins of the original Panama City, walls and some outlines of foundations. Probably the most recognizable structures would be the King's Bridge (pic below) and the Bell Tower (no pic). The other picture just gives you an idea of what you could expect to find there. Been a long time since I have spent any time there so I really don't know if you would find anyone there to provide any formal interpretation.

I'm sure you could probably catch another cab to take you back to where you tender, but cabs are always around except when you want one. Again, no recent experience in this regard either.

nbxczk.jpg

17vhiu.jpg