Why SO many complaints?

apfra.

I sailed on the QM2 for 17-days before most of you. and it was one of my best out of 20 cruises.

Maybe it was because I was in a Q4 and in the Queen's Grill. The food was beyond excellent. Better than Crystal. The service was almost flawless. The staff was extremely attentive and gracious. The ship was beautiful. The entertainment was good the production shows were better than any other ship I have been on.

So I ask, BESIDES the food (i have heard complaints with the Britannia), what was wrong? It was everything I could have wanted and far more.

Adam

Celebrity Galaxy- 7/98

Celebrity Zenith- 7/99

Rhapsody of the Seas- 12/99

Voyager of the Seas- 8/00

Celebrity Millennium- 6/01

Radiance of the Seas- 10/01

Explorer of the Seas- 12/01

Celebrity Millennium- 4/02

Celebrity Constellation- 6/02

Celebrity Summit- 8/02

Radiance of the Seas- 8/02

Norwegian Star- 11/02

Norwegian Dawn- 12/02

Celebrity Infinity- 4/03

Radisson Seven Seas Voyager- 6/03

Crystal Serenity- 8/03

Monarch of the Seas- 10/03

Serenade of the Seas- 10/03

Mariner of the Seas- 12/03

Queen Mary II (Queen's Grill)- 03/04

Westerdam- 06/04

Miscellaneous ship visits:

The World- 12/02

Legend of the Seas- 11/03

Seven Seas Voyager- 01/03

Caronia- 04/04

I think if you're paying £4000 or $6000 for a B1 cabin with meals in Britannia it isn't acceptable to say the ship was Ok but the food was poor. The standards should match those promoted by Cunard nothing more nothing less.

It's like paying for a car and finding they didn't put the automatic gearbox in. Does it matter? You've still got a gearbox but now you'll also be able to exercise your left leg each time you change up or down a gear.

That said, I do agree with the overall point in that there is much right with QM2 that seems to have been overlooked in the focus on those areas that require(d) attention. It does seem to be taking far longer than I would have thought to rectify one aspect of the ships performance that is so obviously calling for attention. Cunard must know from feedback what the problems are.

I feel that one of the reasons people are complaining so much is that they are over-expecting the experience on the QM2. I was also in a Queen's Category Cabin and yes the Queen's Grill was wonderful, but I heard a lot of complaining even while I was on the ship that had nothing to do with the food.

When we were anchored in St. Thomas there were many outraged people becuase they could not get off on a tender right away to go to shore. The ship had six tenders running constantly, but people need to understand that there are 2,600 people all trying to get off the boat at the same time and it is not going to happen in an instant.

I feel most people need to travel with an open mind and understand that you are not the only person on this ship. You are traveling with 2,000 other passengers and that there will be hiccups on your trip, but there is no reason to go balastic. If you expect everything to be perfect on your vacation, you are setting yourself up for dissapointment. If you go with an open mind and enjoy yourself and realize you are one of 2,000 people on vacation and you might havce some waiting involved, you will be a much happier passenger.

I loved traveling on the QM2 and would definately travel on her again in the near future. Whether I get bumped up to Queen's Grill again or not, I will go with an open mind and ready for any exciting experience.

Hi.

I think Cunard "set themselves up" to be hit with a million complaints by touting the QM 2 as "the most luxurious" etc ship ever, etc, etc...

It could not help but to falter a bit... who could live up to those insane claims?

I have not been on QM 2 yet; but I think it's prob a great ship but not the "end all" liner that Cunard was promoting... that ship only exsists in Hollywood.

Michael

NYC icon_smile.gif

I was in the Britannia during the Tandem Crossing. I thought the food was excellent. Up untill the crossing, I was very curious about what to expect. With all the complaints. Maybe the issue is, the QM2 isn't for everyone, and the ones who don;t like it should not be on her. I think the QM2 is the liner to end all liners. I've never been on a ship that had the style and glamour and class as the QM2 has. There was something special about her. I can;t wait to go again. icon_biggrin.gif

J.P.

Well, no one ever seemed to complain about the QE2, and they are with the same line. What you must understand is that just becuase the QM2 is much newer than the QE2, it does not mean that the food and service will be any different. They are both the same line. Just like two RCI ships will generally have the same quality of food.

Maybe they did overmarket the QM2. The food in 3rd class is not gourmet, and they should not brag that the food is top-notch when it is not. I just went to lunch in the Brittania for fun... NO comparaison the Queen's Grill.

You get what you pay for. 3rd class is overpriced in my opinion.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by apfra.:

Well, no one ever seemed to complain about the QE2, and they are with the same line.

You get what you pay for. 3rd class is overpriced in my opinion.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I complained plenty about QE2. It was the worst food and service I can recall in over 50 cruises. QM2 on the other hand was a different story. Food and service were excellent, even in lowly 3rd Class as you call it. I don't buy the fact that food and service are basically the same fleet wide on different ships. In fact it's been proven to me otherwise time and time again as I cruise different ships within the same line. Much of it depends on the dynamic of the crew and Senior Officers, and of course the chef.

Speaking of classes, referring to those that dine in Britannia as "3rd Class" is a bit of a stretch, especially considering the prices paid. Cunard no longer makes reference to 1st, 2nd, 3rd Class on their ships. That's one aspect of transatlantic travel on Cunard that is long gone. 3rd Class, otherwise known as "steerage" no longer exists. To my knowledge the QM2 no longer carries immigrants between Europe and America in crowded and below deck conditions. Calling Britannia "3rd Class" sends the wrong message to those considering QM2 and Cunard for the first time. Basically everyone has access to everything on QM2 (just like every other cruise ship) except for a few very small public spaces.

Having seen the Queen's Grill and Princess Grill menus and spaces, it really wasn't compelling enough for me to pay the huge increase in price. The only way I would do it is if I wanted the additional space in the cabin. The menus were pretty much the same every evening in Queen's Grill as in Britannia, expect of course the presentation is far better, service more polished, and you can order ala carte if you prefer.

I'm still not convinced that sailing Queen's Grill on Cunard is the better value over sailing a true luxury line like Silversea. Onboard Silversea not only do *all* passengers receive Queen's Grill quality food and service, but all drinks and tips are included as well.

Someday I may try Princess Grill (I actually preferred this dining room on both QE2 and QM2), but chances are when I'm ready to drop that kind of money I will go back to Silversea.

Having experienced the food, service, amenities, etc. in Britannia on QM2, I truly felt I received my money's worth. I don't know if I would feel the same way had I paid Queen's Grill prices.

Ernie

Well, I went on several QE2 trips where they presented lectures about the new ship. They were very clear that QM2 would be the best ship on the water, and more to the point, she was being delivered early enough for the crew to get aboard and learn their way around and their jobs way before paying passengers came aboard. Yes, QM2 would be the perfect cuising experience from the start.

That turned out to be a huge over-used over-statement.

I read all the problems here and then went on trip #2 and many things were wonderful. But there were quite a few things staff had no clue about, and the design wasn't as nice as I was told. Too many things were not what I considered acceptable.

I don't remember having too long a wait to get off in St. Thoms, but I think it is Cunard's job to provide as many boats as needed to get that done in both directions speedilly. I don't feel we need to understand and live with a long wait.

So hopefully in November the staff and signage and a few other things will be figured out. After the first refit, hopefully some of the design flaws will be tended to.

So YES, I did expect the ship would be the wonderful thing Cunard told us over and over she would be. AND I STILL EXPECT HER TO BE.

QE2 1969 x2, 1978 x2, 2001 x2 1 trip in 1991, 1999, 2000, 2002, 2003

SS France 1972 x2 and 1974 x1 SS Raffaello 1974 & 1975

Sea Venture 1974 to Bermuda SS Rotterdam 1976 & 1977 Nassau & Bermuda

Noordam 1992 & 94/95 Statendam 1993

Horizon 1996

Galaxy 1997 - trip #3 ??

Windward (Now Norwegian Wind) 1997 3 trips before lengthening

Ryndam 1999 Amsterdam - New Years 02/03 Serenade Of The Seas 2003 trip #7

QM2 trip 2 1/31/04

Single since 1991 except Serenade.

QM2 11/6/04 & keeping an open mind for others.

Queen Victoria - Maiden year?

Well, I went on several QE2 trips where they presented lectures about the new ship. They were very clear that QM2 would be the best ship on the water, and more to the point, she was being delivered early enough for the crew to get aboard and learn their way around and their jobs way before paying passengers came aboard. Yes, QM2 would be the perfect cuising experience from the start.

That turned out to be a huge over-used over-statement.

I read all the problems here and then went on trip #2 and many things were wonderful. But there were quite a few things staff had no clue about, and the design wasn't as nice as I was told. Too many things were not what I considered acceptable.

I

apfra, I could go on and on about my QE2 complaints.. I have not done that much here because Cunard customer service rose to the ocassion after hearing our concerns, and made it very worth our while to keep the QM2 booking. I found food and service to be superb, and the ship to be beautiful. One thing I had truly enjoyed on the QE2 were the interesting lectures and the camaraderie of your fellow cruisers. The lectures on our cruise were rather lifeless and the ship was full of loud complainers.. but that's the luck of the draw.

It is very rare for something to live up to the marketing hype.. and so many people went expecting the world. Oh well. My feeling is simply that she is overpriced. But when pricing comes down within a few years, I would definitely go back on her.

CRUISES: Queen of Bermuda '89 Tropicale '99, Explorer of the Seas '02, Radiance of the Seas '02, Vision of the Seas '03, Queen Elizabeth 2 '03, Infinity '03, Serenade of the Seas '03, Monarch of the Seas '03, Norwegian Star '03, Queen Mary 2 '04,

Diamond Princess, '04

Detailed ship pix: http://community.webshots.com/user/mattinla

So what does it all come down to?

Expectations, the value for money, and some thinking they're entitled to special consideration, ie "they should..." because I think they should.

40 cruises: mainly Cunard, Carnival, HAL, NCL, RCI, Starclipper, Seabourn. ~511 days total, ~325 on HAL

The two worst things many folks forget to take on their vacation is a sense of humor and patience. The two worst things they do remember to take is their contempt and rudeness when things aren't perfect or exactly how THEY think it should be.

BTW, to suggest that folks in Britannia accommodations are somehow "3rd class" passengers is to not know the meaning of the term. Unlike the true 3rd class experience folks had on the great liners of the past, Britannia (or Mauretania) class are not even close.

Russ

QE2

QE2

Fantasy

Crown Princess

Costa Allegra

Viking Serenade

Oceanic

Star Odyssey

Seaward

Atlantic

Nordic Empress

Fantasy

Majesty of the Seas

Veendam

Century

Galaxy

Mercury

Norwegian Sea

Dolphin IV

Disney Wonder

Volendam

Carnival Destiny

Explorer of the Seas

Rhapsody of the Seas

Millennium

Norway 8/4

Majesty of the Seas 1/20/03

Norwegian Majesty 1/24/03

Queen Mary 2 4/22/04 Inaugural

Queen Mary 2 - 7/1/04

• 2 weeks later...

You guys have us wondering now as we booked an 8 day Caribbean out of NY for April 2, 2005. We're in a hull balcony cabin paying $3810 port and taxes, not including insurance. That's a little more than we pay on the usual lines we sail (for that type category), but we decided to try Cunard after about 30 cruises on the mass market lines. We think the service and food on Celebrity is very good. We would hope that we wouldn't be disappointed with the service and food on Cunard. Will the QM2 provide at least the service and food quality as on Celebrity? For the experience of sailing her, the FEW dollars more we're paying will be worth it, if she can at least equal it. Of course we will sail her even if a negative response appears to this because we must experience her at least once, but would feel better about it if we could expect a more special experience than our previous cruises.

Thanks,

Chuck & Phyllis

Doing Empress on 9/18/04

Doing QM2 on 3/2/05

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Chuck & Phyllis:

Will the QM2 provide at least the service and food quality as on Celebrity? For the experience of sailing her, the FEW dollars more we're paying will be worth it, if she can at least equal it. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

In a word, YES! She is a fabulous ship and my food and service last month (also a Caribbean cruise) were excellent.

Don't worry about it and go have a fantastic time!

Ernie

I mostly agree with eroller. I was on 10 May, and for the most part the food and service were fine. But like on any "new" ship, the staff still is adjusting and melding into a team. I suspect by next spring the service will be magnificent. I had no complaints at all with the quality of the food in Britannia and elsewhere (Lotus was trully a delight), and had been apprehensive after all the bad chatter on these boards. Don't worry. Enjoy! Wish I was going again soon!

It's unfortunate that the "folk" dining in Brittanina got dubbed "3rd class". Obviously, those who coined the phrase are not familiar with ocean travel when there actually was 3 classes and one was segregated by a lot more than just the dining room. Folks don't even refer to 1st or 2nd class when talking about QE2 and Brittania and Mauritania dining rooms, let alone Princess and Queens Grill. Maybe we should not refer to any "class" and just call the grills, "premium" dining rooms. After all, if I was going trans-At, and paying about $2-3 thousand, and you were paying $28 thousand, ya, I would expect you are entitled to something just a tad more extravagqnt than I and what more appropriate than the dining experience?

3rd class on QE2 is the Caronia Dining Room - formerly the first class Columbia. This is a gem of a room, real ocean liner dining. The galley is shared with the Princess and Brittania Grills. Having eaten in both I can say the food is the same and you can get the same a la carte selections if you just ask for them. The service was actually better in Caronia, as it was dependent on the wait staff (If anyone ever had the tag team of Ivana and Jasmin in PG, you know what I mean).

I was on the 3-day cruise in May. I didn't have a problem with the food in the Britannia, only the service. It was very friendly but very slow. However, once the meals arrived they were mostly excellent and I would forget about the wait most of the time. My only other complaint is for a ship so huge it has a very small indoor pool area and since it was chilly outside during the cruise it was the only pool people used (other than the spa pool). There are less than 60 loungers for 2600 passengers. The ship really needs something like the Grand Princess'Calypso Pool. And that splash pool is a waste.

Other than that, I fell in love with the ship and will be sailing her again in November. This time it will be 10 days and I have a list of what I want to do this time which include visit the spa to use it's t-pool during the sea days; plan more dinners at King's Court (the Carvery was terrific); use the library (I thought it's collection is astounding); spend more time in the Commodore Lounge to listen to the music in the evening; do afternoon tea (was just too full from lunch to do this on the 3-dayer); and last but not least, drink for Bass ale in the Golden Lion pub.

Norway - 2/97;Leeward -12/97;

Grand Princess - 1/99; Leeward - 6/99; Dawn Princess - 11/99;Vision of the Seas - 6/00;Carnival Victory - 9/00; Zenith - 10/00

Mercury - 3/01; R1 -7/01; Grand Princess - 11/01; Majesty of the Seas - 12/01; Norwegian Star - 3/02;

Carnival Triumph - 7/02;

Maasdam - 11/02; Holiday - 12/02; Millennium - 4/03; Carnival Victory - 7/03; Zaandam - 8/03; Zuiderdam - 10/03; Enchantment of the Seas - 1/04; Galaxy - 3/04; QM2 - 5/04; Voyager of the Seas - 5/04

Cruise Pup:

She is a beautiful ship and we look forward to sailing on QM2 in November - the 6th. Which one are you sailing? I nevermade it to the Conn. Club and am looking forward to it. Also the pools - we toured the top enclosed pool, but only swam in the spa pool, which is lovely - bring your camera.

Jeanne

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Jeanne S:

Cruise Pup:

I nevermade it to the Conn. Club and am looking forward to it.

Jeanne<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Jeanne,

You missed out on the best lounge on the entire ship! The Commodore Club is simply gorgeous and is *the* place to be for pre-dinner cocktails. Do make a point to visit there often on your upcoming QM2 sailing this Fall. I don't think you will be disappointed.

You have an excuse for your last sailing .... those nut-jobs in the dining room! icon_wink.gif

Take care,

Ernie

Thanks Ernie:

When we boarded I kept telling Lorraine we have to go there and we just never made it as there was so much that got in the way in only 3 days. My first time back on the ship I will be there first night. I love the Yacht Club on QE2 and was hoping it might be like this - only it is foward, not stern? The Chart Room was somewhat dissapointing - liked QE2 better.

How did you like the entertainment? I thought it much improved over QE2 and was impressed.

Archived