QM2 vs. Celebrity (food)

dmarch@islc.net

I thought a cruise on the QM2 would be wonderful....then I started reading the board. I'm trying to decide on one week on QM2 or two weeks with Celebrity. If I go with the QM2 it will be in a run of the mill balcony cabin (modern day stowage). Will the food be comparible to Celebrity?

Also, what kind of activitys to they offer on sea days?

Thank you

Modern day "stowage"? Perhaps you're thinking "steerage",.....of which there is nothing on QM2 that remotely resembles steerage.

But to your question ... while the food on QM2 was very good, I do think Celebrity has a slight edge ... but their ships cannot compare.

Linerguy

QE2

QE2

Fantasy

Crown Princess

Costa Allegra

Viking Serenade

Oceanic

Star Odyssey

Seaward

Atlantic

Nordic Empress

Fantasy

Majesty of the Seas

Veendam

Century

Galaxy

Mercury

Norwegian Sea

Dolphin IV

Disney Wonder

Volendam

Carnival Destiny

Explorer of the Seas

Rhapsody of the Seas

Millennium

Norway 8/4

Majesty of the Seas 1/20/03

Norwegian Majesty 1/24/03

Queen Mary 2 4/22/04 Inaugural

Queen Mary 2 - 7/1/04

Russ,

I agree that Celebrity has the slight edge in food. This may change as QM2 becomes more refined with each passing cruise. The service I received on QM2 was just as good as anything I've experienced on Celebrity.

Celebrity is probably my favorite large cruise line, and I think they have an excellent product and beautiful ships .... unless of course you compare them with QM2. There really is very little that compares with QM2 purely from a hardware perspective. She is magnificent in almost every detail.

If I had to pick a very close second (hardware again), it would be VOYAGER OF THE SEAS. Again a very impressive ship from a design standpoint with amazing attention to detail.

Ernie

Somewhere I read that Cunard let Daniel Boulud go. I think the relationship between them was rocky from the start. I thought it was strange that Cunard didn't mention his name anywhere onboard. Somewhere else I read an interview with Boulud about his involvement with the QM2. He said that Cunard wanted to use his recipes and he said he doesn't do business like that. The menus on the QM2 do not resemble any of Boulud menus on his web site for his restaurants. I figured Cunard must of thought "why bother".

J.P.

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=ff0000&cdt=2005;3;9;17;0;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Queen Mary 2 Caribbean 3/9

The food on QM2 was excellent for me. However by the end of the 10 days, it started getting a bit repetitive. Food on Infinity was excellent, too.. and more varied.

If you're cruising just to get away and be pampered and you're not into ships or especially motivated by sailing QM2 during her inaugural year, I would go for the suite on Celebrity.

Again, if you;re going for the daytime activties, probably Celebrity - unless you're interested in lectures and playing bridge. Daytime is more sedate on QM2.

CRUISES: Queen of Bermuda '89 Tropicale '99, Explorer of the Seas '02, Radiance of the Seas '02, Vision of the Seas '03, Queen Elizabeth 2 '03, Infinity '03, Serenade of the Seas '03, Monarch of the Seas '03, Norwegian Star '03, Queen Mary 2 '04,

Diamond Princess, '04

Detailed ship pix: http://community.webshots.com/user/mattinla

I agree that Celebrity has an edge on food. I enjoyed the Maiden transatlantic of the QM2 but would be reluctant to sail on her again; the cost factor alone would be enough to make me go to other lines. For double to triple the fare of other lines, I don't think it was worth, aside from the historical significance of her maiden year. Alot of people get sentimental about cruises, espcially, it seems, about the QM2. I didn't think it was any great shakes.

I am a long-time Celebrity cruiser and just recently returned from the QM2. I thought the food in the Britannia was excellent; especially the steaks. Celebrity does have more variety in their menus though.

I thoroughly enjoyed my QM2 experience and am glad I went. The ship is gorgeous; the production shows are outstanding (better than anything I ever seen at sea) and the planetarium is enjoyable.

The daytime activities include exercise classes offered by the spa, dance classes, bingo, lectures , programs by the Royal Academy of Dramatic Arts, horse racing, art auctions, and high tea. I thought there was more to do on sea days than I had time for.

On the down side, most ports in the caribbean require tendering - St. Thomas was the worst where many people were not able to get off the ship until 10:30 or 11:00. Due to Coast Guard activity in St Thomas, we had to tender to Havensight and then taxi into town.

The other weak spot in comparison to Celebrity is that the buffet breakfasts and lunches, while offering a wide variety of food, are laid out in a way that contributes to much traffic congestion and confusion in the buffet lines.

But all things considered, I would sail on her again. But then, I really love ocean liners. Guess that comes from my first cruise being on the SS Norway.

In answer to your question: a cruise on QM2 would be wonderful as would a cruise on Celebrity's "Millennium" class ships.

Personally I would rather have two weeks on the latter. Unless you have a real interest in cruise ships/ocean liners there is not much point in paying the heavy premium currently being charged for QM2. The actual product delivered is comparable.

On the other hand if you are a frequent cruiser and would like to experience an amazing and unique ship, you may feel the QM2 option would be worth the extra cost.

I don't think many people regard any balcony cabin on QM2 as "run of the mill".

The food is of a similar standard to Celebrity. At present I think Celebrity has the edge but this could easily change as QM2 refines it's food preparation.

There is plenty to do on sea days - you are spoilt for choice.

QM2 Three Continents Cruise

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2004;3;26;17;45;00&timezone=GMT-0500

We have gone on 5 Celebrity cruises and have always really enjoyed the food. Much to our surprise, we found the food on the QM2 to be slightly better than Celebrity.

The only exception is that we did not enjoy Todd English as much as the specialty restaurants on the "Millennium Class" ships on Celebrity.

We plan on sailing the QM2 again in next winter.

definately celebrity, QM2 was just passable, maybe i was spoilt as 6 days earlier came off a silverseas cruise and the food was wonderful.

Was dissapointed with food and service on QM2 will not be going on her again till things are sorted.

on another theme i emailed them with my comments after i returned in april. i asked them to confirm receipt which they did saying they would reply fully in the next few days.

guess what i am still waiting for the response

regards jim

In the last eighteen months, I have been fortunate to experience several different cruise lines, Celebrity's Infinity in a Sky Suite, Princess's Star Princess in a Penthouse, Silversea's Silver Shadow in a Silver Suite, Cunard's QM2 in a P1 and QE2 in a P3. Whilst each had their own attractions, the best overall experience by far was Celebrity with it's service, food and ambience a clear winner.

Two weeks on Celebrity would, in my opinion, be infinitely better than any time on QM2.

Wayne

• 2 weeks later...

After reading so much hype about Boulud on Cunard for so long and having been to his NYC restaurants, I was looking forward to experiencing menus planned by him at sea – or at least with significant input. The executive Chef listed on the daily program on QM we did not know (just Chef Winkler whose cuisine we do love) and I found the food so – just not inspiring. But then it was only a 3 day cruise.

I wonder why Cunard did not have a better understanding or meeting of the minds with DB as they put so much marketing into it.

Some may call me fussy or picky but I loved the food on Carnival, so its not that I have such highbrow tastes, just that the food on QM2 seemed nothing special, although a few choices such as the Frozen Grand Mariner Soufflé, the Beef Pot Pie and Breakfast were quite good. Maybe the fact that we also had some hassles in the restaurant colored my thinking.

I do mist Chef Winkler from QE2 – never had a bad meal – except for the powered eggs.

March: While I can think of a few cabins on QE2 than the term steerage comes to mind, as Russ posted, there is nothing resembling steerage on QM2. The lowest Cat cabin is approx 196 square feet and they are very nicely appointed.

You may or may not like the Hull Balcony however – we liked it, but given the choice, I would opt for the regular type balcony (but on a crossing would take the Hull).

Jeanne

Archived