When do they assign cabins?

wulicny

I just asked my TA if our cabin number had been assigned yet. We are travelling on the Nov. 26 sailing, B5 category. She said that they don't assign cabin numbers until two weeks before sailing!!! Is this correct?

Last year, on our Celebrity Century sailing, I booked with the same TA, and we were assigned a cabin number immediately. I know that when you book with Celebrity online, you can select your cabin from the remaining available cabins. Is Cunard that far behind the times that they don't assign cabins in advance? Or, since it is this far in advance, might I be in line for a cabin upgrade (akin to a "guaranteed" cabin)?

Thansk for any and all help!

Bill

Costa Carla "C" - 1979

RCCL Rhapsody OTS - 1999

Century - August 23, 2003 - E. Caribbean

Queen Mary 2 - November 26, 2004

waiting ... and waiting ...

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=00bfff&cdt=2004;11;26;17;45;00&timezone=GMT-0400

Bill,

I don't know when Cunard assigns cabins but, when I checked with the TA used by the group I'm going with a couple of months ago, I had a cabin assigned. We booked over a year ago and are going on the Nov. 6 sailing. If I were you, I'd have my TA check with Cunard to see if you have a cabin assignment.

Lucy

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=800080&cdt=2004;11;6;17;45;00&timezone=GMT-0500

QM2 sailing out of NYC! 06-Nov-2004

More of a comment than an answer...

Normally, cabins are assigned far in advance when booking -- as you described with Celebrity. Either your TA is misinformed, or perhaps you have some kind of group or guarantee arrangement, as you suggested, that someone else on the board can address.

One thing which Cunard does two weeks before sailing is send out cruise documents/tickets via express --cutting it much too close for many. Thus, it's certainly possible that they would also assign cabins en masse at that point for groups etc.

It's worth a call directly to Cunard if you're not certain about your TA's info.

Crouton

Normally you do get to select a specific cabin when you book the cruise. What your agent might have done is book you with a "guarantee" which means you will be guaranteed a room in a specific category, but may be upgraded if you are lucky. You may also end up with the worst cabin on the ship because it will be the only one left.

I would insist on booking a specfic cabin rather than a guarantee, although I once had a guarantee on QE2 and I took it because they had only one MI cabin available at the time of my booking. It was not in a desirable area and I figured I had nothing to lose. I did not get an upgrade but I ended up being happy with the one I eventually got.

I have always booked directly with CUnard and made the cabin selection over the phone while looking at deck plans. This is probably not so important on QM2 as on QE2 because the cabins are more uniform in size.

My guarantee outside cabin on QM2 was assigned on Friday for a Monday sailing. I booked direct with Cunard, so believe me I was able to check everyday direct with Cunard. I would just have them email me a copy of my booking confirmation, and finally on Friday the cabin number showed up on the confirmation.

I was upgraded from an outside to a balcony with obstructed view on Deck 8. I loved it!

Ernie

We're booked on the QM2 for the April 2, 2005 eight night Carabbean out of NYC. I noticed a cruise agency offering group space which was priced $10 cheaper than the price we paid for a category higher than we have. However, that means that we could end up with a cabin that nobody else wanted. We're booked on the lowest hull balcony deck, midship. To be guaranteed one deck above in perhaps a very front or rear hull balcony cabin, wouldn't be worth a $10 savings to us (plus we have no one below us toward the water where we are now). If this was a sailing that could be undersold, it might be worth a chance to see if an upgrade materializes, but since this agency is selling group space in many categories, upgrades will be hard to come by, and this cruise will definately sell out. Bottom line is that those who book this way will end up with the rejects in their respective category (unless the upgrade fairy prforms a miricle).

Chuck & Phyllis

Doing Empress on 9/18/04

Doing QM2 on 3/2/05

Just to follow up, I am checking with my TA now to see if we have a "group" or a "guarantee" rate. I'll play it by ear from there, depending on availability, cost increase for a "cabin assignment" reservation, etc.

Thanks for your input!

Bill

Costa Carla "C" - 1979

RCCL Rhapsody OTS - 1999

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=00bfff&cdt=2004;11;26;17;45;00&timezone=GMT-0400

If you want an upgrade, I recommend booking as a guarantee. When the bookings were first available for the QM2 (nearly two years ago), I booked an inside cabin for the ship's May 10 Caribbean cruise. Rather than a guarantee, I was assigned to a specific cabin at the time of booking. This was my ninth cruise with Cunard (I had previously sailed on the QE2 six times and the SAGAFJORD and VISTAFJORD). As the cruise approached, I asked for an upgrade, but was told that no upgrades were available. Also, I was denied an upgrade at the pier. During the cruise, I encountered someone who booked an outside guarantee at the last minute and was upgraded to a balcony cabin.

I loved the ship, but wish that I had booked as a guarantee. The cruise would have been even better with an upgrade.

seacruise9

As it turns out, my TA says that we have a B5 Guarantee. I think we'll stick with it. I doubt there is a "bad" B5/B6. And, if there is a chance of moving up a deck or two, we'll take that chance.

Happy sailings,

Bill

Costa Carla "C" - 1979

RCCL Rhapsody OTS - 1999

We are just back from travel agent's and have booked QM 2 for September 05 Round trip New York. We picked and booked our cabin there and then no problems at all about being assigned a cabin number !

CANBERRA JUNE 97

OCEAN PRINCESS OCT 01

DAWN PRINCESS MARCH 03

STAR PRINCESS AUGUST 04

QUEEN MARY II SEPTEMBER 05

PAULNJILL

Hi wulicny & paulcathart,

We are also on the 11/26 sailing and going with a C1 guarantee. We're really curious, never having booked a guarantee before, how it's going to turn out. But whatever happens we just can't wait!

We booked in January for July 5th and were assigned a cabin at booking. I just received our documents and the cabin remains the same one we selected. We have been on a wait list for a princess grill cabin, but it seems that is not about to happen. We were told there are none available for our crossing. We were not asking for an upgrade but rather wait listed to pay for a cabin. We will be on deck 12 in a B1 cabin and I believe that it will be wonderful. We can't wait.

Archived