Southampton Hilton Double Tree hotel

goodsailors

Does anyone have any experience of staying precruise at the Double Tree Hotel in Southampton, since it changed from the Southampton Hilton?

We have used it on a number of occasions when it was the Hilton so wondering if it has really changed much under the new name and if it still offers all the precruise deals that they did under the old name?

Would welcome any comments.

I stayed there last July before boarding the QM2. They have new carpets and have made the lobby brighter. The rooms now have better climate control(now have air conditioning). Staff were friendly and welcoming. The only thing I do not like is how there is nothing around the hotel (no convenience stores or shops). Not sure about pre-cruise deals. All in all they have improved the hotel.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We stayed at the newer Hilton Ageas Bowl in November, and it does offer cruise deals:

All-Inclusive Port Parking Packages

Hotel plus parking from only £147.00

Avoid traffic jams and last-minute delays and choose one of our Park-and-Stay packages for eight, fifteen or fifteen-plus nights.

Each package includes:

• One night stay
  • 24-hour shuttle bus transport to the Cruise Terminal
  • Transfers to and from the docks
  • Hotel parking for eight, fifteen or fifteen-plus nights
  • Hilton Honors points
  • Our best price guaranteed

We had free parking for the cruise, and only used the hotel as a stop pre cruise. Only problem we had was a £200 hold on our credit card, which took a month to clear!

Like Adammara I stayed at the Ageas Bowl Hilton in Southampton. I booked an upgrade to one of the suites with a large balcony overlooking the Hampshire County Cricket Club pitch. It was excellent, first class hotel. I should check to make sure no fixtures are occurring while you stay there and a taxi to the quayside is a bit longer journey. Alternatively you can park nearer the port with CPS or whoever and just use the hotel as an overnight stay.

Regards John

Like Adammara I stayed at the Ageas Bowl Hilton in Southampton. I booked an upgrade to one of the suites with a large balcony overlooking the Hampshire County Cricket Club pitch. It was excellent, first class hotel. I should check to make sure no fixtures are occurring while you stay there and a taxi to the quayside is a bit longer journey. Alternatively you can park nearer the port with CPS or whoever and just use the hotel as an overnight stay.

Regards John

Another vote for Club Floor balcony at Ageas.

Dressing gowns and slippers included.

Also book the Dinner package.

The plus 14 nights deal is a no brainer

Just to flag that the Doubletree is at the the M3 motorway so is right at the edge of Southampton. It is very far away from civilisation and is not walkable to shops/restaurants.

Nice view of the cricket grounds since it is part of the cricket pavilion.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We also stayed at the Ageas Hilton, we used to stay at the ‘old’ Hilton which we always that dark and gloomy. Service was inconsistent and the beds very hard (personal taste).

The Ageas Hilton was terrific - spacious rooms, good food and friendly service - way better (imo) than the old Hilton

Thanks for all the replies, I appreciate your time.

Just one thought about the Ageas Hilton is that we leave our car at the hotel and just wonder how secure it would be if there were a cricket match on while we were away?

I know the Double Tree is a bit remote but it is for only one night and we usually are joined by friends who live in the area for dinner so the remoteness is not an issue.

Thanks for all the replies, I appreciate your time.

Just one thought about the Ageas Hilton is that we leave our car at the hotel and just wonder how secure it would be if there were a cricket match on while we were away?

I know the Double Tree is a bit remote but it is for only one night and we usually are joined by friends who live in the area for dinner so the remoteness is not an issue.

Your vehicle is insured, and the Ageas has CCTV plus security., being better than the Double. How secure do you wish it to be?

Anyway, Ageas is a far better hotel.

Your guests can join you for pre-dinner drinks on your balcony at the Ageas.

There are wicker seats on your balcony overlooking the pitch, and the hotel would be happy to supply additional seating for your guests.

The Double can not offer this facility.