Maya Luna or Maya Palms Resort

kmd

Getting ready for our first time in Costa Maya. Looking for a nice quiet atmosphere and read of these two resort getaways for the day. Having trouble choosing between the two. Would appreciate any info or comparisons on these two places that could help me decide. Thanks!

Getting ready for our first time in Costa Maya. Looking for a nice quiet atmosphere and read of these two resort getaways for the day. Having trouble choosing between the two. Would appreciate any info or comparisons on these two places that could help me decide. Thanks!

Check out the reviews on trip advisor dot com - I think they will help. I chose Maya Luna (sailing March 21).

Enjoy your cruise!

• 2 weeks later...

We loved Hotel Maya Luna. We(6 of us) were just there on the 13th of March. Carolien was a great. Food excellent, smal quiet, peaceful. Swam, played beach volleyball, tried the kayak out, shady area, lounge chairs. Nice bathrooms and a shower for your use.

If you go make sure and have the stuffed pineapple(large enough for 2) and the fresh Guacamole.

Two months ago my husband, son and I rented a golf cart and headed to the beach excursion at Maya Palms that we had signed up for prior to cruise. We too where undecided between Maya Palms, pez Quartro, and Maya Luna. Therefore, we visited all three. We could not stay very long at any because we wanted to spend as much time as we could at our Maya Palms beach break.

Our first stop was a little grocery store were we got some quart size beer and sodas. Got directions to Pez Quartro to visit and compare. It is a small hotel with a restaurant and bar, across the walkway is the beach. The bar was small with swinging seats, which looked really neat but they where uncomfortable when you sat in them because your knees were up against the bar. We walked to the beach where the lounge chairs and umbrellas were. We looked down the beach and all the other restaurant and bars were set up the same way just with different colored beer and coke umbrellas and plastic chairs. It was rustic and very touristy. We left and agreed we where not missing much. We wanted to get away from the crowds as that is what the ships are all about. Heading south, we passed a few more small hotels some with bars or restaurants with lounge chairs and umbrellas or tiki style umbrellas. As we left town, the area became more scenic and remote. Taking a golf cart was a slower means of transportation, but we enjoyed exploring that part of the coast at our own pace. We saw a couple of signs along the way saying "no golf carts past this point". We just Ignored them because we were told that those locations or wanting you to stop and stay there. All along the road, you have the mangrove on one side and the sea on the other. The mangrove was not very pretty in most areas because of hurricane damage. All the beaches were sadly unkempt and lots of trash. Went over a small bridge with really dirty looking water spilling out into the sea. A little ways down we came upon the Maya Luna. We stopped to compare. Again a quant little restaurant with a few rental units. A nice woman came up and introduced herself. We told her we were exploring and she showed us around. There were a few other people there. The beach did not look clean and the water was a real dirty red brown color like at the bridge. Not very inviting at all. As I walked along the beach, I noticed my silver ankle bracelet I had on turned black. It must have been the acid in the water. Uhk!!!! We hoped the water was not like this at Maya Palms. The grounds seemed very crowded with overgrowth from the shrubbery. Again, we agreed we were not missing anything here.

Now our concern was that this remote area might have been a poor choice because of the nasty water, and that the water off Maya Palms would look the same. As we left, we flagged down a cab to ask how much further Maya Palms was, luckily, he spoke English and told us about four kms. I asked him if the water was dirty like here at Maya Palms he said no it is just this area because there is an opening from the mangroves to the sea and the mangroves water is a dark brown that is released there. He told us to look for the big fancy gates and you are at Maya Palms. He was right as we approached massive gates with Mayan guards on them. Wow, this is a beautiful place. Upon arriving, you see green grass and beautiful gardens. Palm trees line the wall surrounding the property. As you enter, you walk through a very tall grass hut supported by vine wrapped logs that look like Mother Natures art. The white stoned paths walk you through beautiful gardens to the pool area. This pool area is magical with lots of columns. The waiter called this area the temple of columns. There were many large glass beaded lounge chairs with umbrellas separating the pool from the beach. They call them bling bling chairs. Very cool and comfortable.

Striped lounge chairs and umbrellas lined the beach. My son joined a beach volleyball ball game and really had fun. Ken the manager said everyday is different. Some days only a few guest, other days one hundred guests.

Lunch was served, under another large grass hut with a view of the pool and ocean surrounded by colorful gardens. We agreed the food was great. My husband and son had the Mexican platter. I had the best lobster in my life. The drinks were strong and my son enjoyed non-alcohol frozen tropical drinks. The service was wonderful. Chokcone (spelling), our waiter, kept the drinks flowing. The buildings are Mayan architecture. One building was a pyramid you can climb which was said to be the highest point on that part of the coast. The view was breathtaking and you can see the cruise ship.

There where several Kayaks provided free of charge. The reef was about 400 yards out. The private Beach with beautiful blue water, stretched as far as you could see in both directions. While at the resort there was diving, snorkeling, kayaking, beach and pool bathing, volleyball, restaurant, bar, families, couples, and people watching. Personally there was no comparison with the other beach excursions NONE. Maya Palms had them all beat and we were happy to have made the best choice. Only one thing I would do differently is take a cab. We arrived later and had to leave earlier than the other guests because the golf carts are slow. Sorry for being so lengthy but there is no short way to explain the comparison. NO I do not work for Maya Palms but sure do wish I had a job like that in paradise for at least 6 months out of the year.

Hope this has been helpful. :)

Just returned from a great cruise aboard the RC Voyager. Otto with Costa Maya Tours arranged for our group of ten to spend the day at Maya Luna in Costa Maya. Great little out-of-the-way place. Lots of things to do - snorkeling, kayaking, fishing, swimming, volleyball, horseback riding, eating and drinking. They had fabulous guac. The proprietors are great and extremely accommodating. The entire group rated Maya Luna a "10".

How was the water? Was it still as bad as Shirleycruiselover mentioned?

We just returned from our cruise where we spent a delightful day in Costa Maya at Maya Luna.

We found the water to be beautiful and the beach pristine. As has been mentioned before on the board, there is seagrass growing in the ocean directly in front of Maya Luna, but the water is very clean.

Carolien, the owner, and her staff were very gracious. We took a quick boat ride out to the reef ($25/per person) and did some snorkeling. The reef is stunning. Our guide, Yolanda, took extra care with our 11 year old daughter and basically gave her a private snorkelling lesson while the other 6 in our boat explored the reef closeby.

The food and drinks at Maya Luna were AMAZING. We couldn't believe when the bill came and for an entire day of gigantic Mexican beers, margaritas, fajitas, ceviche, guacamole and much more (yes we ate and drank LOTS), plus the use of the gorgeous beach and clean restrooms and shower was only around $50 U.S. (for 3 of us.)

We will definitely return to Maya Luna. Three BIG thumbs up from 3 VERY picky travelers!

I fully agree with all of the positives about Maya Luna! We were there in February; it was the BEST excursion all week! The water was very clean; there is seagrass right in front. If you swim out about 25 yards, it is clear and lots of beautiful fish to see. We swam out to the reef (much further than it looks), but we could have taken one of the available kayaks.

Carolien is such an accomodating hostess, Pedro will make anything you want to eat (even if it isn't on the menu), and the prices were unbelievable! We ate a fabulous meal...the stuffed pineapple is to die for...and drank all day...ask about the tequila in the oak barrel...my husband said it was the best he ever had;) I, myself, was partial to the fresh (grown right on the grounds) banana daquiris. Anyway, the total price for the entire day was under $50.00 for the two of us!!!

We will definitely go back there the next time we are in Costa Maya!!!

• 2 weeks later...

How was the transportation to Maya Luna. I am a little concerned because we were told to walk out of the terminal, through the gates about one block to a taxi stand. Should I be concerned? What was the cost from the terminal to the Maya Luna? We will be there on April 8th.

How was the transportation to Maya Luna. I am a little concerned because we were told to walk out of the terminal, through the gates about one block to a taxi stand. Should I be concerned? What was the cost from the terminal to the Maya Luna? We will be there on April 8th.

The transportation to Maya Luna is pretty easy. The locals walking around at the port will tell you they have the best transport, but ignore them. There's a separate thread on this topic. Here's the link. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=942736

Just keep walking through the port area through the security gates. You will then see the yellow taxis. Those are the only ones you should take. We were charged $4 per person, so $12 for the 3 of us. When we arrived at Maya Luna, Carolien said they should have charged $3 per person. The difference was so small, we didn't care.

The ride was maybe 15 minutes or so over a bumpy road. At no time did we feel unsafe.

Our same driver showed up at the exact time we asked him to that afternoon and we paid him the same amount because he was so nice and dependable.

You will love Maya Luna!

We were at Maya Luna on March 31 and had a great time.

It was a great relaxing quiet day. I had the stuffed pineapple and it was very good. More than enough for 2 people.

Carolien took very good care of us. She had the gardnerer cut fresh coconuts for us so the kids could try the coconut milk. It was very good. It is very sweet.

Michelle

As a FYI, I just made a reservation for Maya Luna. To secure my reservation they required a $25 deposit which will be applied to our bar/food tab. Carolien informed me that they do have a new massage service, $25 for half hour and $40 for an hour. I hope this helps

Mu wife and I spent Thursday, April 9 at Maya Luna. Was the highlight of the trip. Carolien (the owner) was most accomodating, delivering drinks to our lounge chairs on the beach, which we had all to ourselves. Felt like a Corona commercial. We ate fabulous guacamole and the pineapple shrimp, which was enormous and spectacular. Even with 5 margaritas, our entire tab was under $35. The water was beautiful, the facilities were outstanding, and the taxi charged us $9 total from the cruise terminal. You can't lose here.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived