Special Needs At Sea

deborahjo

Has anyone use Special Needs at Sea before?

We at looking at having to rent a scooter for my husband for our cruise. He is having knee replacement surgery one week after we return. He is in terrible pain.

Priced the scooter for the week and it is $258 but feel it is well worth it to keep him out of pain. It will be in our cabin when we board. We already have a handicap cabin.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We used special needs at sea for my Father in Law. Had no problems at all. You may want to ask for a wheelchair at the terminal for embarkation if you feel he may have too much trouble with the walk up the ramp to the ship. The same for debarkation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Cruzlover7

We used special needs at sea for my Father in Law. Had no problems at all. You may want to ask for a wheelchair at the terminal for embarkation if you feel he may have too much trouble with the walk up the ramp to the ship. The same for debarkation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We used the service, and it truly is worth it:) My problem was keeping up with him.

The Disabled Cruising board has lots of info.

Also, scooters cannot be stored in the hallways.

Bring an extension cord (not surge protected).

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Edited by SadieN

The Disabled Cruising board has lots of info.

Also, scooters cannot be stored in the hallways.

Bring an extension cord (not surge protected).

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Some scooters won't fit in the door on some ships .

We at looking at having to rent a scooter for my husband for our cruise. He is having knee replacement surgery one week after we return. He is in terrible pain.

Priced the scooter for the week and it is $258 but feel it is well worth it to keep him out of pain. It will be in our cabin when we board. We already have a handicap cabin.

Yes they are very good.

Yes I have used them for the last 5 years, they are wonderful.. 2 years ago my scooter broke down in Nassau barely made it back on the ship. I called the 800 number on the contract and explained to them what happened and they called Carnival them self and someone came to my cabin to check scooter, an electrician came and fixed it. To me that was super cause I have a very hard time walking with Lupus and knee replacement. That could have ruined my cruise.

I understood that, had person in our group that could not fit his cart into his handicap cabin.

It is the passenger's responsibility to make certain that it will fit. The dimensions are clearly provided by Carnival. SOLAS regulations require that they not be kept in the hallways. I hope that Carnival was able to work something out for him.

My goodness, how big was it?:eek:

On our last cruise there was a gentleman who must have been 6'5" and very large. He had what I'll call a "Cadillac" scooter. It was HUGE, but justifiably so (and looked very comfortable). I wondered at the time if it would even fit through the door of a handicapped cabin, so I suppose it would be possible. I'm sure that Carnival has some sort of work-around in these situations so that they can remain in compliance with SOLAS.

I have used Special Needs at Sea a lot and they have come threw each and every time. You will not be disapointed. If you rent the largest model keep in mind you will need a handycap room. the other 2 models will fit the doorway.

We are repeat clients of "Special Needs at Sea" (in 2014 and 2016) and each time the correct power wheelchair was waiting for us in our accessible cabin aboard ship. Battery fully charged, user manual etc., everything ready to go.

I also understand that as of recent if you fly in a day or two before the cruise, they can deliver and have your wheelchair waiting for you at your hotel (minimal extra charge) and at the end of your cruise you just leave the wheelchair in your cabin aboard ship.

In short: Special Needs at Sea are the best!

Thank you for all your comments. Yes we have a handicap cabin and the scooter will fit thru the door. There is also plenty of room in the cabin to park and charge it.

Just want DH to be able to enjoy the cruise with as little pain as possible.