Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 08:12 AM.
Atlanta
688 Posts
Joined Jun 2014
So, we booked a cruise on the Victory for a quick getaway this month and paid extra for an Ocean Suite for my grandmother and I and our roommates, her sister and her husband. Well, we booked the cruise around 50 days before departure and were promised to be paid the next day. Well, it's been 4 weeks. If I cancel, I'd only get about $300 back for them. I'm just trying to weigh my options. I just don't want this to be an ill vacation where I have to stomach the fact that the lied and used us. It's not like they are going through hard times, they lied when they said they would pay me back. She just happened to tell us that she maxed out all her credit cards and has not had money for months!

Next time, we will require it up front. It's put my grandmother in an emotional situation. So yes, our fault, but it's just hurtful and deceitful. Money isn't a problem, it's the fact that they used us.

Lesson learned.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Au Pays Des Merveilles
3 RCL (Indy, Radiance, Empress) 3 CCL (Fantasy, Breeze, Victory) 1 HAL (Eurodam)
Future: 03/31 - MSC Divina - 5 Day Genoa to Valencia
Texas
888 Posts
Joined Mar 2013
Originally posted by DisneyDatknee
So, we booked a cruise on the Victory for a quick getaway this month and paid extra for an Ocean Suite for my grandmother and I and our roommates, her sister and her husband. Well, we booked the cruise around 50 days before departure and were promised to be paid the next day. Well, it's been 4 weeks. If I cancel, I'd only get about $300 back for them. I'm just trying to weigh my options. I just don't want this to be an ill vacation where I have to stomach the fact that the lied and used us. It's not like they are going through hard times, they lied when they said they would pay me back. She just happened to tell us that she maxed out all her credit cards and has not had money for months!

Next time, we will require it up front. It's put my grandmother in an emotional situation. So yes, our fault, but it's just hurtful and deceitful. Money isn't a problem, it's the fact that they used us.

Lesson learned.
Good reminder that at some point, everyone in your life will fail you. Your spouse, kids, parents, siblings, best friend, boss, pastor, etc. Everyone. And we will fail them as well. I am never surprised, upset, etc. when they do. Just part of life.
85 Posts
Joined Aug 2011
It could be worse - a jealous family member got a hold of a cruise reservation number a few years ago and cancelled a cruise for 5 people the night before we sailed, one of which was his wife. Luckily, I was able to straighten everything out after about two hours at the port and tears (on my part). Maybe things will work out in the end, just like they did for us Hang in there.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
------------------------------------
Norwegian Sun ~ October 2011
Carnival Dream ~ November 2013
Carnival Victory ~ October 2014
Royal Caribbean Independence of the Seas ~ November 2015
Carnival Fantasy ~ February 2016
Carnival Ecstasy ~ October 2016
Carnival Triumph ~ April 2017
Carnival Ecstasy ~ February 2018
Royal Caribbean Explorer of the Seas ~ May 2018
65 Posts
Joined Mar 2017
I learned this lesson on a vacation as well. It was to a nice cabin. They didn't cook, clean or pay a cent. I had to even to pay for the rental van and gas. Lesson learn. They always ask about our cruises. I tell them that my room is full (it is), and that I am planning for the group. But they need their deposit upfront, and they have to pay it by X date. And that their deposit is non-refundable.
They have not gone on a cruise yet.
Just remember, this is your vacation. Dont let it eat at you. Let them worry about the extra costs, and how to get their. Just enjoy. Karma will knock on their door. And dont give them money again. Im sorry.
14 Posts
Joined Aug 2017

Lesson learned.
Don't you just love family. The death of a loved In a family brings out the worse in people. So this is mild. Just life. We are careful about suggesting and inviting people and family to join us. It's expensive for us. I can't afford to pay for others. If you want to join us. This is the cruise line, this is the date, if you like to go, join us. I feel your pain. Will I see you on Judge Judy? I'm just giving you a hard time. Good luck.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
Virgina
4,176 Posts
Joined Feb 2007
I think I would cancel them and take the $300 back. Toxic people are bad for your health and the last thing you need is to be cruising with them.

I have had my fare share of toxic people and have learned that the best thing to do is eliminate contact where ever possible. It's very liberating.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Royal Caribbean February 2000 (Eastern)
Carnival Valor March 2007 (Western)
Carnival Legend March 2008 (Western)
Carnival Fascination March 2009 (Key West/Nassau)
Carnival Glory August 2009 (Eastern)
Carnival Glory June 2010 (Canada)
Carnival Fascination December 2010 (Bahamas)
Carnival Legend March 2012 (Western)
Caribbean Princess March 2013 (Southern)
Carnival Victory January 2014 (Western)
Carnival Fantasy March 2014 (Eastern)
Grand Princess May 2014 (Alaska)
Carnival Sunshine February 2015 (Western)
Carnival Conquest December 2015 (Western)
Carnival Sunshine October 2016 (Canada)
Carnival Magic December 2016 (Eastern)
Raleigh, NC
214 Posts
Joined Apr 2017
Yeah I have never been gone through that on a cruise. I say we are going on this cruise. This is our room number. Book it yourself. I will never upgrade myself to allow space for others. I always get let down.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Upcoming:
Carnival Splendor September 14, 2017

Past:
Carnival Fantasy 2015
Carnival Victory 2013
Carnival Destiny 2008
Newbury Park, CA
2,856 Posts
Joined May 2007

Lesson learned.

I think you should cut your losses , cancel them and get back whatever you can. Couldn't imagine what the cruise will be like with them.

Another thing to consider is their on board expenses. The cruise line will need either a credit card or cash to cover what they spend on board. If they don't have money, how will that work?
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Carnival Elation 4/99 Mexico
Diamond Princess 1/07 Mexico

RCI Monarch 4/07 Baja Mexico
Carnival Pride 10/07 Mexico
Carnival Paradise 12/07 Baja Mexico
Carnival Spirit 2/08 Exotic Mexico
MS DixieII 8/08 Emerald Bay Lake Tahoe
Sapphire Princess 11/08 Mexico Thanksgiving
Carnival Spirit 1/09 Exotic Mexico
Carnival Splendor 8/09 Mexico
RCI Radiance 11/09 Mexico Thanksgiving
RCI Radiance 4/10 Mexico
NCL Pearl 8/10 Alaska
RCI Mariner 11/10 Mexico Thanksgiving
Carnival Spirit 12/10 Mexico New Years
Norwegian Star 4/11 Mexico
Carnival Spirit 8/11 Alaska
Carnival Spirit 11/11 Mexico Thanksgiving
Carnival Spirit 3/12 Mexico
NCL Gem 8/12 Bahamas
Carnival Splendor 11/12 Mexico Thanksgiving
Carnival Splendor 12/12 Mexico Happy New Year
Sapphire Princess 3/13 Mexico
NCL Pearl 7/13 Alaska
Carnival Miracle 11/13 Mexico Thanksgiving
Crown Princess 4/14 Mexican Riviera
Carnival Freedom 7/14 Southern Caribbean

Carnival Miracle 11/14 Mexico Thanksgiving
Golden Princess 4/15 Sea of Cortez

Carnival Magic 8/15 Western Caribbean
Crown Princess 11/15 Mexico Thanksgiving
Crown Princess 3/16 California Coastal
Carnival Legend 8/16 Alaska
Carnival Miracle 11/16 Mexico Thanksgiving
Ruby Princess 4/17 Mexico
NCL Escape 8/17 Western Caribbean
Iowa
1,363 Posts
Joined Sep 2013
Man, and I thought my brother was cheap when he never brings a Christmas present for the gift exchange.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

02/2017 Carnival Glory, 04/2017 Carnival Breeze
09/2016 Carnival Vista, 12/2016 Carnival Conquest
04/2015 Carnival Valor, 12/2015 Carnival Dream
03/2014 Carnival Breeze, 06/2014 Carnival Miracle, 12/2014 Carnival Breeze
01/2013 Carnival Glory, 11/2013 Carnival Conquest
01/2012 Carnival Liberty, 11/2012 Carnival Liberty
01/2011 Carnival Triumph
01/2010 Carnival Miracle
03/2006 Carnival Conquest
03/2004 Carnival Conquest
04/2002 Carnival Victory
U.S.
6,205 Posts
Joined May 2006
Ouch. Sounds like they got you good. If it were me, I'd cut my losses and cancel them and recover whatever I could. I wouldn't want to be in close quarters on a cruise with them under these circumstances. That will stress you and your grandmother further and you likely wouldn't enjoy your vacation. If they decide they want to go after you cancel them, they are still free to make their own reservations. And that's what I'd tell them if I were in your shoes.

I learned in the past it is difficult enough just trying to coordinate a group of people to cruise together and make it work out, much less risking personal funds for others. If others can't come up with money to make their reservation, they can't afford to cruise.

Hope you enjoy your cruise with your grandmother.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
40 's and counting. Next up: Carnival Dream.
146 Posts
Joined Dec 2015
I would tell them that unless I had the money today, I was going to cancel them and get what I could back. If you can do a name change for $50 each, I would see if someone wants a great deal. Make sure your CC is not linked to their Sign and sail card if they sail.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Carnival Cruise Line -98 days
NCL Cruise Line - 7 days
Royal Caribbean - 7 days
Cambridgeshire
2,610 Posts
Joined Dec 2011
Is it possible to amend the booking excluding them. It might cost a bit extra but hopefully you could get them to give you a ride to the terminal. When they try to check in it would be somewhat amusing.

Regards John
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
John Watson

Ships cruised on
RMS Queen Elizabeth, SS France, Oronsay, Oceana, Vision of the Seas, Caribbean Princess, Aurora,
Queen Mary 2, Star Flyer, Star Clipper, Grand Princess, Queen Elizabeth, Azura, Ruby Princess, Ventura, Diamond Princess, Britannia, Emerald Princess, Navigator of the Seas
1,883 Posts
Joined Mar 2001
Ugh. I'm so sorry. It's hard to take, when it's family that's left you in such a situation.

Is there anyone else you can take, who would be able to reimburse you? And yeah, that would mean having the awkward conversation with your grandmother and the others, that they're not going with you. I think tonit964 brought up a good point. It sounds like they wouldn't be able to cover the onboard expenses like tips & drinks. So... what happens with that? (Seriously What happens when a passenger doesn't have cash or a credit/debit card to cover their expenses? Are they allowed to check in? Board? Would you be guilted into paying? Ugh...).

Here's one approach: Find a way to tell them that you've cancelled their sailing. And then actually cancel it with Carnival, or change the names on the reservation to a couple of friends who can go with you, and pay their own way.

Ugh, so sorry. Good luck with this.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Mary Ellen

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
coming up:
Royal Princess
Dec. 20 2017
Christmas at sea!
9 Princess cruises
14 Carnival cruises
5 HAL cruises

1 RCCL cruise
1 NCL cruise
6,310 Posts
Joined Apr 2006

Lesson learned.
How much will you get back if you let these sorry losers cruise with you?
At this point, it might be worth $300 to cruise without them.
North Carolina
369 Posts
Joined Aug 2016
I would also cancel. They tried to scam you out of significant money so now they don't get to go on the cruise. Actions—meet consequences. If you let them go even after they pulled this stunt, you'll only be teaching them that you're a sucker who can be taken advantage of again in the future. It is always a tough pill to swallow when you have to take a big financial loss for someone else's wrongdoing, but consider it a lesson learned about the type of people they are.
Portland OR
1,303 Posts
Joined Jun 2011
Cancel and rebook, they don't get to go! Moving to another cruise usually only costs $50 and then you get a $50 OBC
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Happy Cruising!
Cala

09/30/18 - Carnival Dream W Caribbean

04/28/18 - Carnival Triumph W Caribbean
01/21/18 - Carnival Dream W Caribbean PBE III Cruise

10/29/17 - Carnival Breeze W Caribbean
02/25/17 - Carnival Vista E Caribbean
1/21/17 - Carnival Magic W Caribbean PBE II Cruise - Platinum!
10/01/16 - Carnival Miracle Mexican Riviera
01/24/16 - Carnival Breeze W. Caribbean PBE I Cruise
9/26/15 - Carnival Glory W. Caribbean
02/28/15 - Carnival Breeze E. Caribbean
9/28/14 - Carnival Magic W. Caribbean
9/28/13 - Carnival Breeze S. Caribbean
09/30/12 - Carnival Victory S. Caribbean
04/16/12 - Celebrity Millenium W. Caribbean
10/01/11 - Carnival Liberty E. Caribbean
09/29/07 - Carnival Liberty S. Caribbean
10/02/05 - Norwegian Crown Bermuda
05/29/04 - Zuiderdam W. Caribbean
10/02/03 - Zuiderdam E. Caribbean
10/02/00 - Carnival Holiday Baja Mexico
Missouri
1,291 Posts
Joined Jan 2010
I would cancel their reservation and get back whatever I could. Even part of it is better than them going on a vacation on your dime after telling you that they would pay you back.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Carnival Fantasy- July/August 2009- Cozumel
Carnival Elation- May 2010- Progreso & Cozumel
Carnival Elation- May/June 2011- Cozumel & Calica
Carnival Elation-May/June 2012-Progreso & Cozumel
Carnival Elation- June 2013- Progreso & Cozumel
Carnival Elation- June 2014- Progreso & Cozumel
Carnival Elation- June 2015- Progreso & Cozumel
Carnival Triumph- July 2016- Progreso & Cozumel
Carnival Fantasy- May 2017- Costa Maya & Cozumel
Carnival Dream- May 2018- Belize, Isla Roatan & Cozumel
Ontario, CA (The one WITH the Palm Trees!)
22,950 Posts
Joined Jan 2011
Cancel them and enjoy the cruise with your grandmother.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature