Vista question - What did you bring that was most helpful?

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 11:25 AM.
Texas
21 Posts
Joined Apr 2011
All of these are great suggestions.

I take a bunch of pocket sized hand sanitizer bottles and wet wipes. On every cruise, someone has gotten sick, so i always have cough syrup, cough drops, allergy meds. The one time i did not carry these items, I got sick and had to pay $$$ on the ship.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

St. Clair, Michigan
622 Posts
Joined May 2004
We've been on the Vista and the one thing I won't leave without are the collapsible bins I got at the dollar store. There is less drawer space but there are shelves along side of the mirror. One bin for me, one for hubby and our junk drawer bin, cards,pens, ... They're cloth and are light weight. I can't stand clutter so a place for everything.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

CARNIVAL

Victory - Eastern Caribbean 2000
Victory - Eastern Caribbean 2002
Glory - Eastern Caribbean2004
Valor - Western Caribbean 2006
Spirit -Hawaii 2008
Spirit- Hawaii 2011
Paradise - western Caribbean 2013
Sunshine - Mediterranean 2013
Sunshine - Transatlantic. 2013
Breeze - Caribbean 2014
Splendor - Repo Ny to San Juan 2014
Splendor- East coast/ Canada 2015
Vista - Mediterranean 2016
Vista - Transatlantic October 2016
1,225 Posts
Joined Aug 2001
Originally posted by grandmacani
We've been on the Vista and the one thing I won't leave without are the collapsible bins I got at the dollar store.
I thought this was a great idea, and I've been looking at all of our dollar stores and the larger stores, but the only collapsible bins I can find are large. They would take up a lot of counter space. I'll keep looking, but this sure is a great idea.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Mrs. H

Monarch of the Seas '99 - Carnival Victory '00 - Celebrity Infinity '01 - Grandeur of the Seas '02 - Diamond Princess '04 - Carnival Miracle '06 - Celebrity Mercury '07 - Carnival Spirit '08 - HAL Oosterdam '08 - Carnival Conquest '09 - Emerald Princess '10 - Adventure of the Seas '10 - Carnival Glory '11 - Sapphire Princess '12 - Carnival Magic '12 - Caribbean Princess '13 - Carnival Dream '13 - Crown Princess '14 - Carnival Valor '14 - Jewel of the Seas '15 - Carnival Dream '15 - Ruby Princess '16 - Liberty of the Seas '16 - Carnival Breeze '16 - HAL Oosterdam '17 - Carnival Freedom '17 - Carnival Breeze '17 - Ruby Princess '18

You haven't lived until you've cruised.
Missouri
1,583 Posts
Joined Jun 2006
Originally posted by LHARTWICK
I thought this was a great idea, and I've been looking at all of our dollar stores and the larger stores, but the only collapsible bins I can find are large. They would take up a lot of counter space. I'll keep looking, but this sure is a great idea.
Our Dollar Trees carry them on the bottom shelf by the closet and laundry items. They are a tweedy looking light brown color. At times they sell out fast, but keep checking back.

We are generally light packers. I dont usually bring bins when I sail with my hubby, but I was glad that I did when I sailed in a quad with all ladies =) I usually travel with a 20"spinner or 19" backpack. Depending on our shore plans we bring our Cool Bag as well. Its like our old KYSS bag but way way better in design, security and quality.

Stuff we take and use :

Tervis tumblers

Magnetic hooks(to hang damp microfiber towels and swimsuits)

A few ziplock bags

Meds we may need. In tiny baggies, labeled with doseage and all in a plastic soap dish. First aid included.

Poopourri

Small outlet extender

I dont bring or use any of the "office supplies", shoe holder, cleaning supplies. I have dollar store ponchos but have only used them once when there was a downpour in Coz and my kids reeaaally wanted to get souvenirs for friends. In general , Im flexible in my plans and dont mind getting a little wet.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Forums mobile app
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Tracy in Missouri
1,225 Posts
Joined Aug 2001
Thank you! I'll check the dollar tree again between now and departure. We are light packers as well - after so many cruises I have our packing list down to a science! But a collapsible bin would easily fit into the outside pocket of my small suitcase and it sure would be handy.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Mrs. H

Monarch of the Seas '99 - Carnival Victory '00 - Celebrity Infinity '01 - Grandeur of the Seas '02 - Diamond Princess '04 - Carnival Miracle '06 - Celebrity Mercury '07 - Carnival Spirit '08 - HAL Oosterdam '08 - Carnival Conquest '09 - Emerald Princess '10 - Adventure of the Seas '10 - Carnival Glory '11 - Sapphire Princess '12 - Carnival Magic '12 - Caribbean Princess '13 - Carnival Dream '13 - Crown Princess '14 - Carnival Valor '14 - Jewel of the Seas '15 - Carnival Dream '15 - Ruby Princess '16 - Liberty of the Seas '16 - Carnival Breeze '16 - HAL Oosterdam '17 - Carnival Freedom '17 - Carnival Breeze '17 - Ruby Princess '18

Northern Wisconsin
3,747 Posts
Joined Apr 2005
Maybe I missed it, but I always pack BATTERY clocks of some sort. (Plug-in clocks may lose or gain time on the ship.)
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Big Red Boat 1995
CCL Triumph 2005
CCL Triumph 2007
CCL Valor 2009
CCL Freedom2010
CCL Miracle 2011
CCL Legend 2012
CCL Splenor 2013
CCL Valor 2015
CCL Conquest 2016
CCL Glory 2017

1,225 Posts
Joined Aug 2001
Originally posted by jayscore
Maybe I missed it, but I always pack BATTERY clocks of some sort. (Plug-in clocks may lose or gain time on the ship.)
Oh, I forgot about that - I take one as well. I keep it in my travel bag with the batteries OUT of it in between trips so they don’t ruin it in case they leak. That little clock is nice to have in the room and takes up very little space.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Mrs. H

South Carolina
3,243 Posts
Joined Dec 2005
I used to take a highlighter, but now with the Carnival Hub app I do not need it.

The best thing I took on the Vista was an open mind. The new ship is a bit different and I found I liked many of the changes.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

146 Posts
Joined Dec 2015
I take of cruise documents showing what you purchased from the Fun Shop. I also pack a tray that my husband can use to bring me back breakfast to eat on the balcony. (He gets up before me and has breakfast and then brings my breakfast to the cabin.)
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Carnival Cruise Line -98 days
NCL Cruise Line - 7 days
Royal Caribbean - 7 days
1,906 Posts
Joined Jan 2001
My 1st cruise I packed all this extra stuff. Didn't use any of it. Next couple of cruises packed about half of it. Now I don't pack any of it.

I carry an extra $25 for incidentals. If something comes up I get it from the sundry store on board the ship or while in port. Haven't used the $25 yet.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Carnival Dream - March 2018

Carnival Valor - May 2017
Carnival Fantasy - November 2016
RCCL Oasis of the Seas - May 2016
RCCL Anthem of the Seas - November 2015
Carnival Freedom - May 2015
Carnival Dream - December 2014
Carnival Sunshine - February 2014
RCCL Allure of the Seas - September 2013
Carnival Elation - July 2013
Carnival Triumph - July 2012
RCCL Liberty of the Seas - October 2010
Golden Princess - June 2008
Grand Princess - November 2006
Carnival Ecstacy - July 2005
RCCL Navigator of the Seas - March 2004
RCCL Voyager of the Seas - March 2001
southwest Michigan
290 Posts
Joined Mar 2007
My cabin on Vista had two USB ports for charging electronics. You probably won't need the power strip unless you need power for a lot of other things at the same time. The room lights had a timer that will turn everything off unless there is a card in the slot. I used an old gift card and just left it there the entire cruise. There was a little nightlight on the wall near the bathroom door and the sign about life jackets was glow in the dark, so it was never completely dark in the cabin even though it was an interior. There is a clock on the phone. We used our phone for a wake up alarm. Just be careful if you change time zones. Your phone may automatically change but the ship might not. We stayed in the same time zone on our southern Caribbean trip so no problems then.

I took everything on your list and didn't use any of it. I didn't need the hooks because there were only two of us and not much to hang up. The Carnival Hub app lists everything that is going on and you can add things to your favorites list. You'll get a notification when things on the list are due to happen. Just be sure that you have the most recent app. I downloaded it a few months before the cruise and when I tried to use the chat feature, it wouldn't work until I updated the app.

The only other thing that I wouldn't travel without is my first aid kit. It doesn't take up much space and isn't very heavy. You can get everything in it on board and in port, but at a much higher cost. I take it on land trips too. It's handy to have everything in one place. It contains Tylenol, ibuprofen, decongestant, non-sedating antihistamine (like Zyrtrec), anti-diarrheal (like Imodium), Pepto pills, TUMS, sea sickness pills (like Bonine), band aids, hydrocortisone cream and antibiotic cream. For cruises I add sun screen and aloe lotion for when I forget to reapply the sunscreen.

Don't forget to plan to have a good trip and then follow your plan.
Texas
2,928 Posts
Joined Aug 2011
Originally posted by Crusin5252
I take of cruise documents showing what you purchased from the Fun Shop. I also pack a tray that my husband can use to bring me back breakfast to eat on the balcony. (He gets up before me and has breakfast and then brings my breakfast to the cabin.)
Order room service the first evening and then keep the tray. I know, sneaky but I try to keep my luggage to a minimum.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Carnival Conquest September 18, 2011(7day)Carnival Triumph Feb. 12, 2012 (5day) Carnival Magic Sept 6,2012 (7day) Carnival Miracle July 16, 2013(7day) Carnival Magic Sept. 8, 2013(7day) Carnival Conquest Nov 16, 2013 (8day) Carnival Miracle April 28,2014 (8day) Carnival Magic Sept. 28,2014 (7day) Carnival Freedom Feb.2, 2015 (12 day Repo) Carnival Triumph June 29, 2015 ( 5day)Carnival Freedom December 5, 2015 (7day)Carnival Splendor May 26,2016 (9day)Carnival Breeze Nov 20, 2016 (7day)Carnival Breeze Nov 27, 2016 (7day)Carnival Pride Feb.26, 2017 (14 day repo)Carnival Miracle September 2, 2017 (14 day)

Crystal River, Florida
952 Posts
Joined Mar 2012
-Air Freshner.
Those bathrooms are small and using them one after another in the mornings can be.. yeah.

-Bluetooth Speaker.
We like to listen to music while getting ready in the morning or for dinner.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Carnival Dream (7 Day/Western Caribbean/4-28-12)
Carnival Breeze (8 Day/Eastern Caribbean/12-8-12)
Carnival Breeze (8 Day/Eastern Caribbean/11-8-14)
Carnival Breeze (8 Day/Eastern Caribbean/12-5-15)
Carnival Vista (8 Day/Southern Caribbean/12-3-16)
Carnival Sunshine (5 Day/Bahamas/4-23-17)
Carnival Vista (8 Day/Southern Caribbean/12-2-17)
Carnival Horizon (14 Day/Trans Atlantic/5-9-18)
Carnival Legend (8 Day/Alaska/9-5-18)

"Softness is not weakness.
It takes courage to stay delicate in a world this cruel."
It's Great To Be A Florida Gator!
Virgina
4,176 Posts
Joined Feb 2007
I am of the less is more philosophy. I take exactly what I would take on any land based vacation - air freshener, tablet, speaker, 3 part outlet, headphones etc. The only additions for the cruise are lanyards for our cards, a command hook to hang them on, and clothes pins for the line in the shower (things dry better this way than thrown over or strung on the line). We can travel with each of us having a 22" roller and a backpack and go easily for 10 days.

We put the dirties in the bottom of a closet or in a suit case under the bed. We both have hanging toiletry bags, so that takes the place of the shoe holder etc. I tried or thought about all the other suggested items on here and I have found they just aren't necessary for us.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Royal Caribbean February 2000 (Eastern)
Carnival Valor March 2007 (Western)
Carnival Legend March 2008 (Western)
Carnival Fascination March 2009 (Key West/Nassau)
Carnival Glory August 2009 (Eastern)
Carnival Glory June 2010 (Canada)
Carnival Fascination December 2010 (Bahamas)
Carnival Legend March 2012 (Western)
Caribbean Princess March 2013 (Southern)
Carnival Victory January 2014 (Western)
Carnival Fantasy March 2014 (Eastern)
Grand Princess May 2014 (Alaska)
Carnival Sunshine February 2015 (Western)
Carnival Conquest December 2015 (Western)
Carnival Sunshine October 2016 (Canada)
Carnival Magic December 2016 (Eastern)
Crystal River, Florida
952 Posts
Joined Mar 2012
Originally posted by A&Jfamily
I am of the less is more philosophy. I take exactly what I would take on any land based vacation - air freshener, tablet, speaker, 3 part outlet, headphones etc. The only additions for the cruise are lanyards for our cards, a command hook to hang them on, and clothes pins for the line in the shower (things dry better this way than thrown over or strung on the line). We can travel with each of us having a 22" roller and a backpack and go easily for 10 days.

We put the dirties in the bottom of a closet or in a suit case under the bed. We both have hanging toiletry bags, so that takes the place of the shoe holder etc. I tried or thought about all the other suggested items on here and I have found they just aren't necessary for us.
Clothes pins are a great idea! Thank you.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Carnival Dream (7 Day/Western Caribbean/4-28-12)
Carnival Breeze (8 Day/Eastern Caribbean/12-8-12)
Carnival Breeze (8 Day/Eastern Caribbean/11-8-14)
Carnival Breeze (8 Day/Eastern Caribbean/12-5-15)
Carnival Vista (8 Day/Southern Caribbean/12-3-16)
Carnival Sunshine (5 Day/Bahamas/4-23-17)
Carnival Vista (8 Day/Southern Caribbean/12-2-17)
Carnival Horizon (14 Day/Trans Atlantic/5-9-18)
Carnival Legend (8 Day/Alaska/9-5-18)

"Softness is not weakness.
It takes courage to stay delicate in a world this cruel."
It's Great To Be A Florida Gator!
North Carolina
345 Posts
Joined Apr 2011
Originally posted by elcuchio24
thats a great idea

Sent from my iPhone using Forums
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Jack and Gloria

Carnival Horizon - Mediterranean - April 2018
Royal Caribbean - Southern Caribbean - January 2017
Carnival Legend - Baltic - July 2013
Carnival Magic - Mediterranean - Oct 2011
Carnival Spirit - Alaska - July 2003
Carnival Spirit - Exotic Caribbean - November 2001
Carnival Destiny - Dutch Treat - November 2000
Carnival Celebration - Caribbean July 1991
North Carolina
345 Posts
Joined Apr 2011
Originally posted by TropicalDuo
Sailing on the Vista in April. Trying to purchase things I will need on the cruise. I have seen a lot of packing lists on the internet.

Did anyone bring the following items and find them helpful:
  • Magnetic hooks (I read that the walls of the staterooms are metal and these come in handy for hanging up beach towels, etc.)
  • Powerstrip (I actually purchased an adapter that plugs in and has 3 outlets on it and also has a night light attached.) How many outlets are in a stateroom?
  • Masking tape / duck tape (I can't imagine needing this on a cruise??)
  • Pen, Highlighter, Sticky notes, pad of paper (I can imagine using some of this, like if I wanted to leave a note for our room steward for example)
  • Over the door shoe holder (we are only two people so I have decided to forgo this - it looks like there is a lot of shelves in the bathroom for toiletries)
  • Anything else you found helpful?
Also I have bought some supplies to make a cool door sign. What should I use to hang the sign? Will magnetic hooks work or should I pick up some Command hooks?

Thanks!

Bought a small pop up hamper at dollar general. Also clips for chairs to hold towels in place. I take all that you mentioned. The over the door shoe holder is great for just putting odds and ends.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Jack and Gloria

Carnival Horizon - Mediterranean - April 2018
Royal Caribbean - Southern Caribbean - January 2017
Carnival Legend - Baltic - July 2013
Carnival Magic - Mediterranean - Oct 2011
Carnival Spirit - Alaska - July 2003
Carnival Spirit - Exotic Caribbean - November 2001
Carnival Destiny - Dutch Treat - November 2000
Carnival Celebration - Caribbean July 1991