ChoiceAir Will Not Honor Low Fare Guarantee Because Other Fare is Lower

cruiserchuck

I booked flights with ChoiceAir yesterday for an upcoming cruise. There is some talk that the cruise may be chartered, so I went with ChoiceAir in case our reservations are cancelled by Celebrity. Shortly after booking the airfare, I found several other websites selling the exact same tickets at a slightly lower price ($70 per person). I called ChoiceAir to get the promised onboard credit of 110% of the difference. Initially, ChoiceAir said there was only one seat left at the lower price, so it did not qualify. I pointed out that the site that I was on showed the lower price for both seats. I was then told the fare code was different. I pointed out that the confirmation I received from ChoiceAir did not indicate any fare code. With great difficulty, I figured out that both fares codes were V. ChoiceAir finally took the position that the other fares that I found were discounted fares, and did not qualify. My head almost exploded, since I was essentially being told that the lower fare did not qualify because it was lower. I tried to get the agent to explain this alleged denial basis to me, but was unable to understand how this would lead them to deny the low fare guarantee. They promised to have a supervisor look into the issue tomorrow.

What are the T & C's for the guarantee to be honored, that is beyond the title of it?

Then you will have a good basis on which to point out how it works.

Have you taken a screen shot of the fare and number of seats available to submit to CA along with the applicable terms covering the situation?

bon voyage

Many who work at ChoiceAir know very little about what can and can’t be done. Sometimes I have felt like I was just talking to myself and answering my own questions. Hopefully, a supervisor has an answer that you can live with and makes sense. I also agree that screenshots are valuable, as prices etc change all the time! Good luck and let us know what happens...

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I attempted to use Flights by Celebrity to book flights for an upcoming cruise but had a number of very frustrating conversations with different reps over their quotes for RT fares on Delta that were higher than the prices on the Delta website. I was told by one of the reps that the airline would certainly have a lower price because they are the airline. WTH?!? I thought, based on all of the posts I've read here on CC, that Flights by Celebrity is able to offer lower prices than what appears on the airlines' websites. I have given up trying to work with Flights by Celebrity and will book directly with the airline. Why would I pay more for a ticket than the airline price? I can't think of any added value provided.

The OP's issue has served as an additional reason to steer clear of Flights by Celebrity.

OP,

There is a dedicated sub forum here on Cruise Critic. It's called Cruise Air. There are some very saavy air travelers who could provide you with an understanding of the ins and outs of any cruise air program.

That being said, you will have to determine the exact fare codes for both fares. That's not so easy. Celebity's air program is akin to a conolidator. They are repackaging flights and fares.

You must compare fares via the airline not another travel outlet.

Generally domestic air is usually best purchased from any airline. You have every available choice and direct contact with the airline. Where cruise air COULD be of benefit is one ways on international flights. From experience, only once in many attempts have I found cruise air financially prudent and that was on a one way to South America.

I feel your frustration and I wish you well.

I have screenshots which I emailed to ChoiceAir. The lower fares were showing on actual online travel agent sites that sell airfare. I read the terms and conditions, and I believe that I qualify.

I'm not positive but that might be the problem- I think you have to compare Choice Air to the actual airline site, not another 3rd party site; sometimes when you go to actually book on a 3rd party site you discover that the listed fare isn't really available because their website isn't updated in real time. It looks like it's available until you've entered all your info and clicked "purchase," which I assume you wouldn't have done since you already have purchased air.

I attempted to use Flights by Celebrity to book flights for an upcoming cruise but had a number of very frustrating conversations with different reps over their quotes for RT fares on Delta that were higher than the prices on the Delta website. I was told by one of the reps that the airline would certainly have a lower price because they are the airline. WTH?!? I thought' date=' based on all of the posts I've read here on CC, that Flights by Celebrity is able to offer lower prices than what appears on the airlines' websites. I have given up trying to work with Flights by Celebrity and will book directly with the airline. Why would I pay more for a ticket than the airline price? I can't think of any added value provided.

The OP's issue has served as an additional reason to steer clear of Flights by Celebrity.[/quote']

"airline would have a lower price"...HA!...same reasoning would mean that Celebrity would offer cruise fare cheaper than outside ta's.

I have used choice air a few times and totally disagree with your last sentence. We used it, just like using a regular online air seller...we knew flights we wanted before contacting them, and simply booked through them.

in part, the following are some of the 'major' T & C's associated with the Guarantee:

The Flights by Celebrity Low Airfare Guarantee is available to travelers who have booked travel on Flights by Celebrity only on or after January 1, 2013. The Flights by Celebrity Low Airfare Guarantee applies to the base price of booked airfare only and does not apply to any other fee or charge including taxes, recovery charges, service fees or travel insurance. Promotional packages, deals or bundled prices that may include additional amenities are also not included. The lower advertised price must exactly match the purchased Flights by Celebrity itinerary, be for the same number of tickets, service class, airline(s), origination and destination gateways, legs, flight numbers and travel dates. The lower price must be found online on a website open to the public in the United States where it is quoted, booked and to be paid in U.S. dollars, (including Flights by Celebrity, other travel websites and/or airline supplier sites) and have a similar cancellation policy to Flights by Celebrity (click here for Flights by Celebrity's cancellation policy). The Flights by Celebrity Low Airfare Guarantee does not apply to lower prices provided by websites that withhold airline identity, itinerary or other booking details until the purchase is completed. Also excluded are rates available through membership program websites, corporate discounts or rates, groups, charters, rewards programs, incentive, meeting, convention, consolidator, AARP, AAA, military, government, frequent flyer, loyalty, prizes, sweepstake or awards, transferred points or any other "reward" programs or interline rates, prices obtained via auction or other bid process, redeeming a coupon or other promotion not offered and available to the public.

If your booking conforms with most of these, there should be no issue, the operative adjectives are "should be"....

bon voyage

• 3 weeks later...

So I booked an airfare through Cruiseair and a month or 2 later saw that they had a drop in prices. I called and they refused to drop their own price to today's prices with out a $100 pp change fee!! So much for a guarantee. This is not another TA but their own booking.

So I booked an airfare through Cruiseair and a month or 2 later saw that they had a drop in prices. I called and they refused to drop their own price to today's prices with out a $100 pp change fee!! So much for a guarantee. This is not another TA but their own booking.

I purchased tickets on Choice Air for a round trip to Rome. I watched pricing for a long time and grabbed the ticket for over 50% less than the airline was listing. I booked online but before I did I spoke with a Choice Air representative. They stated these prices change sometimes within minutes. I did ask them that if the price drops for this exact flight on Choice Air if they matched it, and they said they do not, you are locked in once you buy. Maybe that fact should be listed on their FAQ page.

That is because their website is not open to the "general public", as per the T & C's.

bon voyage

Could you please explain a little further?

I take from your post that you booked airfare..and then a month later the same flights were available for less money.

If I read your post right, I don't know why you would think they would lower the price later...the tickets are already purchased...they give you the lowest price when you make the purchase...not in the future.