Prinsendam

slotl

Any thoughts as to what HAL will do now that Captain Halle Gundersen is retiring.

The Prinsendam was Captn Gundersen's ship. He designed it, watched over it's building, and then has Captained it on both the Royal Viking an HAL cruise lines.

We have sailed the Prinsendam 5 times, and just love the size, intimacy, and itineraries. We were lucky to have Captn Gundersen on 4 of our 5 cruises.

He was my favorite captain on my favorite ship.

It looks like all the "new builds" are bigger and bigger, when some of us like the smaller ships. It will be a shame when/if HAL retires the Prinsendam.

Statements have been made the the Elegant Explorer has a good future. Sail her while you can and enjoy.:D

Captain Roberts has been with the ship for a bit and the new Captain is no stranger to her so I suspect she will remain in good hands (at least, I certainly hope so);)

I have sailed with both of Prinsendam's Captains, Captain Andre Schoonhoven when I was on the Zaandam, and Captain Tim Roberts on the Prinsendam. Captain Roberts has been on the Elegant Explorer ever since Captain Albert moved over to the Statendam. I prefer Captain Roberts but the Elegant Explorer is in superb hands with either of these gentlemen.

Roy

the Elegant Explorer is in superb hands with either of these gentlemen.

Roy

I have sailed the Prinsendam with Captn Albert (and follow his blog on the Statendam). He is fantastic! The captains on a "smaller ship with longer segments", gets to personally interact with the passengers.

I guess my post wasn't "clear" in the fact that I question how much longer HAL will keep the Prinsendam "in service".

I have sailed the Prinsendam with Captn Albert (and follow his blog on the Statendam). He is fantastic! The captains on a "smaller ship with longer segments", gets to personally interact with the passengers.

I guess my post wasn't "clear" in the fact that I question how much longer HAL will keep the Prinsendam "in service".

Hmmmmm...she has the most repeat passengers of any HAL ship. She also commands and gets the highest fares. She also books up very early. Why do you think they would get rid of their best ship??? Wasn't the Norway sailing until some catastrophe happened? HAL knows they need her for the small ship niche. Prinsendam's passengers would not be going to the other HAL ships, but to other small ship lines. Viking is even getting into the market!! The trend seems to be mega ships or small ones.

Sorry I thought I answered that question. The statement was already made by HAL that the prinsendam will be around for a long time. (I believe it was on the world cruise - but I can't swear to that).

Hmmmmm...she has the most repeat passengers of any HAL ship. She also commands and gets the highest fares. She also books up very early. Why do you think they would get rid of their best ship??? Wasn't the Norway sailing until some catastrophe happened? HAL knows they need her for the small ship niche. Prinsendam's passengers would not be going to the other HAL ships, but to other small ship lines. Viking is even getting into the market!! The trend seems to be mega ships or small ones.

When you go on a cruise there are 2 types of passengers:

1). Go on a cruise ship for the "resort" experience, big shows, loads of "play" space, and the ports are secondary to the "resort" experience.

2). Go on a cruise where the ship is "transportation" to exotic locations around the world. Where the ship is secondary to the itinerary and locations.

Yes, although I am a 4 star on HAL, you will NOT see me on the larger ships (Eurodam, Oosterdam, Westerdam, Noordam, Zuiderdam, or Neuw Amsterdam).

I am afraid the economics of running a small ship in a big ship market may doom the Prinsendam. If you look at my travel history, you will see as the ships get bigger, I currently cruise with the smaller 30,000 ton "old" Rennaisance ships and the 38,000 ton Prinsendam.

1). Go on a cruise ship for the "resort" experience, big shows, loads of "play" space, and the ports are secondary to the "resort" experience.

2). Go on a cruise where the ship is "transportation" to exotic locations around the world. Where the ship is secondary to the itinerary and locations.

Yes, although I am a 4 star on HAL, you will NOT see me on the larger ships (Eurodam, Oosterdam, Westerdam, Noordam, Zuiderdam, or Neuw Amsterdam).

I am afraid the economics of running a small ship in a big ship market may doom the Prinsendam. If you look at my travel history, you will see as the ships get bigger, I currently cruise with the smaller 30,000 ton "old" Rennaisance ships and the 38,000 ton Prinsendam.

actually may I suggest a third scenario - those of us who go to be on a ship and like the ship and the unique itineraries that go with it. so, yes, we like the Prinsendam's itineraries but the ship is the other reason we go .

If you are so concerned about the Prinsendam then just sail on her:D that will help keep her future.:D

I'm a 3rd type. I cruise primarily to see new places but prefer to do it in a newer ship, regardless of the size. If there were new small ships that I could afford those would be my ideal, but failing that I prefer the Vistas and Signatures. The NA and Noordam are my #1 and #2.

Archived