Rotterdam circum navigation of Africa

slotl

Has anyone heard any "news" from passengers on this cruise re ports cancelled because of Ebola virus??

We have been to Walvis Bay, Luteris, Senegal, and The Gambia and loved the ports, it would be a shame if they were cancelled, BUT how cautious must the passengers/crew be??

The Ebola problems are currently limited to Liberia, Guinea and Sierra Leone none of which are scheduled stops for the cruise.

Has anyone heard any "news" from passengers on this cruise re ports cancelled because of Ebola virus??

We have been to Walvis Bay, Luteris, Senegal, and The Gambia and loved the ports, it would be a shame if they were cancelled, BUT how cautious must the passengers/crew be??

The Ebola problems are currently limited to Liberia, Guinea and Sierra Leone none of which are scheduled stops for the cruise.

Senegal and Gambia were cancelled some weeks ago, just after final payment date for the entire cruise. I believe extra days at the Cape Verde Islands and Tangier were added. The segment Cape Town to Southampton is currently on sale as a special on the HAL website, from $1999 for 35 nights.

35 Days Africa

Holland America Line • ms Rotterdam

Cape Town, Luderitz, Walvis Bay, Luanda, Crossing the Equator, Praia, Mindelo, Tenerife/Canary Islands, Las Palmas, Arrecife, Agadir, Casablanca, Tangier, Cadiz, Lisbon, Vigo, Southampton

1 departure date: Nov 15 2014

Inside from

$1979

$57 per day

OceanView from

$1979

$57 per day

Suite from

$3939

$113 per day

For the right person, this is an unequalled itinerary of seldom seen places at a give-away price. I always wanted to see Luanda (because I had childhood friends who had lived there). Having worked in South Africa, I have visited Namibia several times; it is incredibly worth seeing. Also, Cape Verde Islands. Technically, I have been there -- at a darkened air terminal in the middle of the night when nothing was open. But Cape Verde I have always wanted to visit because it is the birthplace of Portuguese soul music, the fado songs of fishermen. Tangier I have been to but not Casablanca. And an overnight in Lisbon, one of my favorite cities (Cadiz is another one).

Unfortunately, I have other commitments that prevent me from embarking on this itinerary.

Out of curiosity, I checked the air availability. Seems seats are available from BWI to Cape Town and from London to BWI for about $1,800 pp. which is not bad at all. Ditto from Rotterdam, where it arrives a day later without any additional charge.

Edited by barante

Damn.. I reserved several months ago and paid $4300 for an outside cabin! What are the chances of HAL reimbursing me the difference?

BC Verandahs are from $3999 so you could ask for an upgrade. We were booked for an inside on lower prom deck for $4799 a year ago, before Ebola.

Cancelled due to a family wedding.

Damn.. I reserved several months ago and paid $4300 for an outside cabin! What are the chances of HAL reimbursing me the difference?

Zero to none, if you're past final payment date (which I am thinking you are).

But there is a chance for some OBC if your cabin is going for less now. Have your TA ask about it. Worst that can happen is HAL says "No".

Definitely call and ask what they can do for you. On my last cruise, they offered me a choice of an onboard credit which equalled 50% of the fare difference or a move up to a suite from a balcony room....all they can do is say no

Huh?

Why would anyone recommend canceling an all-paid-up trip after the final payment deadline -- when no refunds are possible -- and then rebooking at a lower rate? Makes no sense whatsoever.

Edited by barante

Not nearly so big a drop, but our last HAL cruise reduced after final payment. Our TA got us an upgrade to the next higher cabin for no cost....we did lose our OBC but it was worth it.

Just my opinion but to me this would depend upon the value of the OBC and what the next category is. An upgrade is just more space; OBC is real spendable money.

DON

I so regret not being able to do the Rotterdam's sailing this year. But there is always next year. And I am developing a plan. Although there is no rush.

The plan is to keep my calendar open for next year's comparable time period and wait until the final payment deadlines are over. And then take whatever is available. My personal preference is L, K, or J, but only if those insides are located on the Lower Promenade deck, the wonderful circular balcony with loungers. Overall, the great thing about HAL ships is that all cabin categories are spacious. So almost any cabin will do as long as there are now predictable noise problems.

As I stated earlier, I lived in Johannesburg from Nov. 1980 through March 1983. I've been to Kenya and Ethiopia since but not back to South Africa. I used to hang out in Cape Town as well, so it is familiar to me. Of course, I would have to relearn how to drive on the "wrong" side because car is a must for touring the spectacular countryside.

So planning now commences. I am particularly excited about the prospect of Luanda, Angola, which I unsuccessfully tried to visit in my RSA days. There are so many attractions on the itinerary, including Cape Verde and an overnight in Lisbon. And Namibia. I love the desert because it changes as daylight changes. And Luderitz, when I visited in the 1980s, was the most German town I had ever seen. Even blacks spoke German!

Next year's itinerary still includes all kinds of West African ports which are likely to be scrapped. In fact, I like this year's improvised itinerary so much I hope it will be repeated.

At the present time, next year's price is more than double the current last-minute offerings. Even so, the per day cost is not bad for a long cruise. But now that the bargain basement price has been established, I will be monitoring the situation for the next several months.

Edited by barante

I so regret not being able to do the Rotterdam's sailing this year. But there is always next year. And I am developing a plan. Although there is no rush.

The plan is to keep my calendar open for next year's comparable time period and wait until the final payment deadlines are over. And then take whatever is available. My personal preference is L, K, or J, but only if those insides are located on the Lower Promenade deck, the wonderful circular balcony with loungers. Overall, the great thing about HAL ships is that all cabin categories are spacious. So almost any cabin will do as long as there are now predictable noise problems.

As I stated earlier, I lived in Johannesburg from Nov. 1980 through March 1983. I've been to Kenya and Ethiopia since but not back to South Africa. I used to hang out in Cape Town as well, so it is familiar to me. Of course, I would have to relearn how to drive on the "wrong" side because car is a must for touring the spectacular countryside.

So planning now commences. I am particularly excited about the prospect of Luanda, Angola, which I unsuccessfully tried to visit in my RSA days. There are so many attractions on the itinerary, including Cape Verde and an overnight in Lisbon. And Namibia. I love the desert because it changes as daylight changes. And Luderitz, when I visited in the 1980s, was the most German town I had ever seen. Even blacks spoke German!

Next year's itinerary still includes all kinds of West African ports which are likely to be scrapped. In fact, I like this year's improvised itinerary so much I hope it will be repeated.

At the present time, next year's price is more than double the current last-minute offerings. Even so, the per day cost is not bad for a long cruise. But now that the bargain basement price has been established, I will be monitoring the situation for the next several months.

Mind if I ask what "RSA" days means? I have no clue. :o

Edited by sail7seas

Because I am writing a book, I am budgeting my time carefully. Therefore, I never even checked cruises this year that are as long as the Rotterdam's. But now that I am aware of it, the idea is growing about doing this next year. Down the memory lane. And my wife has not been in South Africa.

Overall, I would not miss West African destinations. When I was young and reckless, climate was no problem. But at 71, I am getting to have difficulties with heat and humidity . . . That describes West Africa.

If we end up doing this, the plan would be to spend a total of five days in Cape Town. Plenty of reasonably priced, excellent hotels.

I am perfectly willing to gamble on last minute cabins. This itinerary is long and costly and not for everyone. As to ebola, it will be with us and may affect bookings next year too.

Edited by barante