Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 02:31 PM.
Nashville
951 Posts
Joined Mar 2010
Hunny and I were booked on the Triumph's September 16 sailing. We booked through my PVP and paid in full (including gratuities, FTTF and trip insurance) at the time of booking (in February). Yes, we purchased the insurance thru Carnival. The carrier was AON.

Everything was great until early September, when I had to go and have a stroke. I was in the hospital for a few days and released in plenty of time go on the cruise. And the doctors had no problem with me taking the cruise. I had the all clear.

Three days before our sail date, I was back in the hospital with stroke symptoms again. Of course, we had no idea how long I'd be there, so we decided to cancel our cruise. I contacted Carnival, who put me in touch with AON, who told me what I needed to do. Among the papers I needed to submit was something from the doctor. That took about a week or so to get from him, but once I had it, I faxed in the papers.

Carnival refunded their part quick enough...it was credited back to my credit card within a few days

I know from reading here that Carnival's insurance isn't the way to go. But I have to say, the people at AON was real easy to deal with and made the process quite painless. We had our refund checks (we each got one) in hand in just over two weeks. I'm not exactly sure what the bias is against buying insurance thru Carnival (cost maybe), but to me it seems unfounded. AON did good by us.

Folks, if you don't buy insurance or are on the fence, trust me...BUY INSURANCE. It is more than worth it.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

CRUISE HISTORY:
April 1991 Carnival Carnivale (Freeport, Nassau)
April 1992 Carnival Festivale * (don't remember where to...had too much fun)
April 1993 Carnival Ecstasy * (don't remember where to...had too much fun)
April 1994 Carnival Tropicale * (don't remember where to...had too much fun)
April 2010 Carnival Fascination (Key West, Nassau)
Sept 2012 Carnival Conquest (Cozumel, Grand Cayman, Montego Bay)
Sept 2013 Carnival Dream (Nassau, San Juan, St. Thomas, Grand Turk)
Sept 2015 Carnival Dream (Roatan, Belize, Cozumel)
Sept 2016 Carnival Valor (St. Maarten, St. Kitts, San Juan, Grand Turk)
Sept 2017 Carnival Triumph (Cozumel, Progreso) Hospitalized and had to cancel.
August 2018 Carnival Sunshine (Aruba, Curacao, Grand Turk)

* Some places I went on these cruises included, but are not limited to: Aruba, Caracas, St. Thomas, St. Martin, Grenada, Dominica, Grand Cayman, Ocho Rios, Playa del Carmen & Barbados.
Edgewood, KY
26 Posts
Joined Jul 2017
Thanks for this! I've been reading the insurance threads and regretting getting Carnival Insurance. Glad things worked out for you and the process was smooth. Hope you are feeling better and have recovered.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Livin the Dream!

Draketti

Upcoming:

Past:
1/2/2016 Carnival Fantasy - 5 day
Vermont
259 Posts
Joined Feb 2007
I always buy independent travel insurance for all my trips. If you buy through the cruise lines I think it covers just the cost of the cruise. We always have additional expenses that might need to be covered. We had a connection issue flying once and the insurance paid our hotel room and meals during the delay.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Right Here
269 Posts
Joined May 2009
Glad to hear that you are doing better. I totally agree with getting travel insurance too. Last December my dad was hospitalized and we (me and DH) decided to cancel our cruise a few days before we were scheduled to sail. My dad passed away a couple of days after I cancelled. Carnival was so helpful. We got refunds from them and the insurance company with no hassle at all.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Carnival Celebration - August 2000
Carnival Triumph...Gotta love her! July 2003, November 2009, November 2010
Carnival Dream - 2011
Carnival Conquest - 2013
Carnival Dream - 2014
Carnival Dream - 2015
146 Posts
Joined Dec 2015
We started out buying Carnival insurance and have switched to independent insurance to get more medical coverage since Medicare does not cover out of country. Another reason we switched was that I read Carnival insurance does not cover pre-existing conditions. Does anyone know if that is really true. We buy independent insurance within 14 days of initial booking so that pre-existing conditions are covered.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Carnival Cruise Line -98 days
NCL Cruise Line - 7 days
Royal Caribbean - 7 days
Florida
8,820 Posts
Joined Aug 2004
So glad your ok! I always purchase the cruise lines insurance, although I do add extra money to get a higher amount for medical care....you have that option also if you weren't aware....I also had to cancel my cruise in May five weeks prior due to a medical problem, like you, I was extremely pleased and very surprised how easy it was and how quickly I got back all my money it was within 16 days time, maybe less I can't recall.
When I travel international I purchase GeoBlue (Blue Cross/Shield International) it covers up to 1 million dollars and everything is included but it does not cover the trip cancellation/delay/lost baggage etc. The way I see things, if my luggage gets lost I just go out and purchase new clothes but on a cruise its nice to have all of that included as you can't get certain female items that we need lol.

Glad it worked out for you as it did for me.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Oasis of the Seas, October 2017
Harmony of the Seas, May 2017
NCL Getaway, May 2016
Carnival Magic, April 2016
Carnival Fascination, December 2015
Oasis of the Seas, October 2015
Carnival Valor, May 2015
Regal Princess, September 2014
Allure of the Seas, 5-11/2014
Carnival Fascination, April 2014
Allure of the Seas, October 2013
NCL Breakaway, June 2013
Carnival Fascination, May 2013
Freedom of the Seas, October 2012
Carnival Dream, May 2012
Monarch of the Seas, Decembher 2012
Freedom of the Seas, July 2011
Liberty of the Seas, May 2011
Cocoa, Florida
1,330 Posts
Joined Feb 2008
We needed to make a claim on our (third party) travel insurance this year as well - DH had emergency surgery the same morning we were supposed to embark on our cruise. There was no problem being reimbursed, but I do suggest you keep all documentation regarding your booking (confirmations, prices, credit card statements).

I'm glad you are doing better! We are trying again next month
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Fantasy 4/2006 . Fantasy 10/2006 . Glory 4/2007 . Triumph 5/2008 . Sensation NYE cruise 12/2008 . Dream NYE cruise 12/2009 . Sensation 4/2010 . Sensation 9/2010 . Sensation 12/2010 . Victory 3/2011 . Sensation 5/2011 . Dream 9/2011 . Ecstasy 3/2012 . Ecstasy 8/2012 . Freedom 11/2012 . Valor 3/2013 . Freedom 11/2013 . Dream 3/2014 . Sunshine 8/2014 . Liberty 11/2014 . Valor 4/2015 . Sunshine 10/2015 . Conquest 4/2016 . Magic 12/2016

Marshall, TX
714 Posts
Joined Dec 2004
I'd like to offer an option that some might want to consider. My wife and I travel fairly frequently and found it cost effective to buy an annual travel policy. CC doesn't allow us to recommend commercial entities by name so let me simply suggest googling to find who offers annual policies and their coverage. Some CC members might find this a cost effective means of protecting themselves.
The South
1,056 Posts
Joined Apr 2012
Sorry you had to use the insurance but I am glad it worked well for you. God bless.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Star Princess (Love Boat, 2004) Fantasy 2007 (New Orleans), Carnival Elation 2010 (Mobile), Carnival Ecstasy 2011 (Galveston), Carnival Ecstasy 2011 (Port Canaveral), Oosterdam 2012 (Alaska), Carnival Ecstasy 2012 (Port Canaveral), Carnival Ecstasy 2013 (Port Canaveral, Spring Break, one last time), Carnival Elation Summer 2013, Carnival Elation,Summer 2014, Carnival Elation,Thanksgiving 2015, Grand Celebration October 2016, Carnival Fantasy ,Thanksgiving 2016, Carnival Fantasy October 2017, Carnival Dream June 2018.
Tulsa area
2,476 Posts
Joined Jan 2007
Originally posted by EastTex
I'd like to offer an option that some might want to consider. My wife and I travel fairly frequently and found it cost effective to buy an annual travel policy. CC doesn't allow us to recommend commercial entities by name so let me simply suggest googling to find who offers annual policies and their coverage. Some CC members might find this a cost effective means of protecting themselves.
I believe you are allowed to mention Insurance Companies among other companies such as tour operators. There is a whole forum about Travel Insurance here on CC and they name insurance companies all the time. What isn't allowed is the naming of Travel Agents and Personal Vacation Planners.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Previous Cruises:
05/12/1997 - Old Star Princess - Alaska - From Vancouver - Ketchikan, Juneau, Skagway, Hubbard Glacier, College Fjord, end Seward
04/22/2007 - Carnival Valor - From Miami to Nassau, St Thomas, St Maarten -
04/26/2009 - Carnival Conquest - From Galveston to Jamaica & Grand Cayman
04/17/2010 - Carnival Dream - From Port Canaveral to Cozumel, Roatan, Belize, Costa Maya
11/08/2010 - Carnival Triumph - From New Orleans to Progresso & Cozumel
04/04/2011 - Carnival Miracle - From Ft. Lauderdale to St. Maarten, St Lucia, St Kitts
11/05/2011 - Carnival Dream - From Port Canaveral to St. Thomas & St. Maarten
03/18/2012 - Carnival Magic - From Galveston - Birthday cruise to Jamaica, Grand Cayman, Cozumel
04/13/2013 - Carnival Breeze - From Miami - St Thomas, Antigua, Tortola, Nassau
04/21/2013 - BVE Ruby Princess - At Fort Lauderdale
11/01/2014 - Carnival Splendor - From San Juan - St Croix, Martinique, Grenada, Dominica, Grand Turk, end Miami
03/21/2015 - Celebrity Summit - From San Juan - Barbados, St Lucia, Antigua, St Maarten, St Thomas
03/20/2016 - Carnival Magic - From Galveston - Cozumel, Grand Cayman, Jamaica
04/29/2017 - Carnival Conquest - From Fort Lauderdale - Grand Turk, La Romana, Curacao, Aruba
Marshall, TX
714 Posts
Joined Dec 2004
Originally posted by luv2trvlnow
I believe you are allowed to mention Insurance Companies among other companies such as tour operators. There is a whole forum about Travel Insurance here on CC and they name insurance companies all the time. What isn't allowed is the naming of Travel Agents and Personal Vacation Planners.

I stand corrected. I liked the Nationwide policy and opted for it.
3,580 Posts
Joined Jul 2004
This is why we do not use Carnival Cruise Insurance - it excludes preexisting conditions:

Carnival Cruise Insurance

Carnival calls its cruise insurance product Cruise Vacation Protection. This plan refunds the money for the unused portion of your prepaid cruise if you cancel for a covered reason. Carnival's plan excludes some important covered reasons that Allianz includes, such as the birth of an immediate family member, cessation of carrier service for 24 hours, foreign or domestic terrorism and legal separation or divorce. If you need to cancel for any reason, Carnival says you may be eligible for cruise credits equaling up to 75 percent of your nonrefundable costs.8 Carnival's plan does cover independently booked air travel, unlike some other cruise line insurance plans.
Also, Carnival cruise insurance's medical expense coverage is secondary insurance, which means it only pays for expenses not covered by your primary health insurance. Pre-existing conditions are excluded.9

https://www.allianztravelinsurance.c...vs-allianz.htm

We use Travel guard or you can go to Insuremytrip.com for other travel insurance companies. also, you can get more coverage than what Carnival offers.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Cruises

10/2017 Crown Princess - New England
05/2017 Grand Princess - Alaska
02/2017 Grand Princess - Hawaii
11/2016 Royal Princess - Caribbean
10/2016 Caribbean Princess - New England
5/2016 Carnival Legend - Alaska
4/2016 Coral Princess - Panama Canal
2/2016 Ruby Princess - Mexican Riviera
1/2016 Ruby Princess - Hawaii