is it a good price?

BlackSeaGuy

Hi guys,

I found a 19-night Pacific Panama Canal cruise for Princess, the price is $3,339 oceanview. I wonder if it's considered to be a good price for the destination.

In my experience, a good price is about $100 per night, but for this cruise it will be like $175 per night, but it also depends on the destination, so that's why I'm asking.

Please, any comments are welcomed. :)

It costs a lot to go through the canal. How many port stops does it have? There will be a cost for each. I agree that $100/day is a good average, for the Caribbean anyway. It's probably more like in the $130-$150 range for the canal. You might get a better comparison if you calculate the per day cost without the port charges.

Thanks for the reply. Here's the itinerary:

1 Los Angeles, California

2 At Sea

3 Cabo San Lucas, Mexico

4 At Sea

5 Acapulco, Mexico

6 Huatulco, Mexico

7 At Sea

8 Puntarenas, Costa Rica

9 At Sea

10 Panama Canal

11 Fuerte Amador, Panama

12 At Sea

13 Puerto Corinto, Nicaragua

14 Puerto Quetzal, Guatemala

15 At Sea

16 Zihuatanejo/Ixtapa, Mexico

17 Puerto Vallarta, Mexico

18 At Sea

19 At Sea

20 Los Angeles, California

Also I wonder if the cabins on Plaaza deck (on Island Princess) are good ones, like for example P608.

Or what about balconies on Aloha or Baja deck. Which one is better? Also which balcony is better - the one close to the front of the ship or the one close to the end?

Sorry, lots of different questions here, I would appreciate any feedback ;)

You are hitting a ton of ports as well as going thru the canal which is really expensive for the ship. Is this a back to back cruise? I rarely see a canal trip start AND end in California. Your going back and forth thru the canal?

Compare different departure dates and see if you can find a lower price. It seems high to me if you are only going ocean view (which you mentioned in your quote to us) not balcony.

Remember too, if you are budgeting, that the more ports you stop at the greater opportunity to spend more on excursions.

Is this a back to back cruise?

ummm... what does it mean? :)

I rarely see a canal trip start AND end in California.

yeah that's why I'm so interested... no flying, no hassles

Your going back and forth thru the canal?

no I don't think so

Compare different departure dates and see if you can find a lower price.

well it seems to be the only one, so no other day. :(

here's the link.

http://www.princess.com/pb/itineraryDetails.do?voyageCode=2810&tourCode=&date=0408&noOfPax=2&resType=C&definition_name=

I guess I could find it cheaper if booking well in advance, but in this case it's only 2 months away, so I guess that's why the price is a little high. But the cruise seems to be very attractive, and again no flying required for me, since I'm here in LA, so I guess I could spend some more for that cruise (I think) :cool:

here's the link.

http://www.princess.com/pb/itineraryDetails.do?voyageCode=2810&tourCode=&date=0408&noOfPax=2&resType=C&definition_name=

I guess I could find it cheaper if booking well in advance, but in this case it's only 2 months away, so I guess that's why the price is a little high. But the cruise seems to be very attractive, and again no flying required for me, since I'm here in LA, so I guess I could spend some more for that cruise (I think) :cool:

Just checked that cruise and I have the same price as you received.

FYI - the Island and Coral have little known public decks at the back of the ship on 3-4 decks from the Emerald up. They are accessible by doors at the end of the hallway. Had we known about that, we would have booked an inside across the hall and saved about $1200! We were on the Emerald deck. The one on that deck had a few loungers/tables. The only time there were many people on them was during the actual canal transit.

I like the balconies at or towards the back. But if the price was right, I'd take one anywhere!!! :D

p.s. Loved the Coral! The only real drawback for me was that the pools are too deep.

Archived