Has anyone gate checked a stroller at FLL?

Pockymuncher

We ideally only want to gate check our stroller and don't want it getting tossed around the sorting machinery and getting banged up on the luggage carousal.

I'm reading on the air transat website for Fort Lauderdale:

"*Gate delivery is not permitted by law in certain countries and cities, including Cancun, Punta Cana, Fort Lauderdale, Cuba, Portugal, Spain, Rome, London or on connecting flights. Complimentary strollers will be available on arrival, in Portugal, London and Spain, except in Barcelona. Passengers will still be able to check in their strollers free of charge at the counter and recuperate them at the baggage carousel at destination."

Anyone have experience flying in our out of FLL with a stroller?

All the US legacy airlines allow gate checking of strollers, wheelchairs and the like at FLL.

Perhaps the fact that Air Transat flights to the USA are considered charters rather than regularly scheduled commercial flights is the issue.

In my experience, even when gate checking, the stroller comes out at the baggage claim. So it still gets beat to heck. This may not always be true, but the several times we gate checked, this is what happened. We ended up buying a folding stroller that you don't have to check at all. GB Pockit.

We ended up buying a folding stroller that you don't have to check at all. GB Pockit.

My daughter used one on our Alaska cruise for her 3 1/2 year old. It is amazing. It folds up small enough to fit under the seat in front of the child on the plane or, on excursions, fits in a backpack. They were stopped so many times in port by both parents and grandparents that she had the spiel down pat and should have been earning a commission from GB Pockit :D

My daughter used one on our Alaska cruise for her 3 1/2 year old. It is amazing. It folds up small enough to fit under the seat in front of the child on the plane or, on excursions, fits in a backpack. They were stopped so many times in port by both parents and grandparents that she had the spiel down pat and should have been earning a commission from GB Pockit :D

We did the same thing, lol. On the ferry to Blue Lagoon, for example, we popped the stroller in to the backpack and got a lot of questions. That stroller is such a good quality, too. We took it everywhere, even Norway, pushing it around in ice and slush in Oslo. Getting on the plane is fun, because we'll wheel it down and the flight attendant would say "Oh, you have to check the stroller" - then press the buttons and fold down, and they laugh. It's so small it fits under the seat as you said. Typical umbrella strollers you have to check usually, and again, the GB is better quality, too.

We have something similar but it's the Contours Bitsy, it's about the size of the GB Qbit. It's really just up to how the gate and flight attendants are feeling that day if we're allowed to bring it onboard.

Which is why we went with the Pockit. No question it's allowed on board.

Unfortunately I don't have a time machine to go back and get the pocket instead. But we did find the pocket's canopy really lacking. It seems it's only Fort Lauderdale that doesn't allow it after speaking to the airline rep but they don't seem to know why. I wonder if it's ramp agents refusing to do it

I work at FLL as wheelchair assist. ( on JetBlue flights )

I am on the jet bridge and see the JetBlue ramp agents hand carrying them up for the passengers that gate checked their strollers. ( large and small strollers ) They come up with the walkers and personal wheelchairs. I can only speak for what I see on the JetBlue flights though.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I work at FLL as wheelchair assist. ( on JetBlue flights )

I am on the jet bridge and see the JetBlue ramp agents hand carrying them up for the passengers that gate checked their strollers. ( large and small strollers ) They come up with the walkers and personal wheelchairs. I can only speak for what I see on the JetBlue flights though.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I wouldn't doubt it happens, but from my experience the gate checked strollers end up on the carousel. I have no experience with JetBlue and strollers as after this happened a coiple of times, I bought a stroller that won't be checked.

I have seen items carried up as well. But it isn't consistent. I hate inconsistency!

I wouldn't doubt it happens, but from my experience the gate checked strollers end up on the carousel. I have no experience with JetBlue and strollers as after this happened a coiple of times, I bought a stroller that won't be checked.

I have seen items carried up as well. But it isn't consistent. I hate inconsistency!

I know right. I hate inconsistency too. If I could get a straight answer from the airline that would be most helpful instead of "maybe"

Its been years since we traveled with strollers, but as I recall traveling with a small collapsible one is the way to go. You will be thankful that it is small and maneuverable when you are in a crowded port or on the ship.

United airlines gate check policy:

Strollers, wheelchairs and walkers that are gate checked are stored in a special compartment so that at the end of the flight they are brought back up to the gate to use when you deplane. They are NOT sent to the baggage carousel.

Most other airlines do the same thing since they know you need the items immediately after you deplane.

Luggage is what is sent to the baggage carousel.