Is Cave Tubing really that good?

isladonna

We booked for Belize, but after watching youtube videos, it just doesn't seem to be all that, to me.

Anyone opinions?

Just seem kind of "meh" to me, although the 8 year old may or may not like it I'm thinking it might be kinda scary going in the cave, even though you wear headlamps.

Ok, thank you!

We did this years ago and I think the best way to describe it is nice and relaxing float down a very shallow river and would probably never do it again. Also I remember a very long walk through the jungle to get to the water and very very cold water.

Lunch was at a place called Cheers which was cool

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We did it years ago and really enjoyed it. The cool water felt great on a hot day. I will agree with the others on here though. It's one of those been there done that things that I probably wouldn't do again. Doing it with an independent operator is much better than through the cruiseline.

I enjoyed it. But like others said, it is a one time thing. There was quite a walk to get to the river. It was a nice relaxing float. The bus trip was enjoyable as the driver gave us a lot of information on Belize culture. I think we had an authentic lunch afterward, too. Children will probably get as much out of it as adults.

I think it depends on the guides. I have done it twice with Butts Up and would do it again. The guides are great and really make it even more fun. I enjoy the hike to get to the river. The guides provide all kinds of info about the plants and animals. And, the tubing itself is relaxing and fun.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Forums mobile app

I was really excited about doing it this Dec...until I read the details. A 5.5 hour excursion that says 3 hours will be spent sitting on a bus, 40 min will be spent dragging your tube on a jungle trail, add lunch time to the mix & I'm projecting less than 1 hour of actual tubing & caving. That would have to be one SPECTACULAR cave to make all that hassle worth it, I think we'll pass.

I was really excited about doing it this Dec...until I read the details. A 5.5 hour excursion that says 3 hours will be spent sitting on a bus, 40 min will be spent dragging your tube on a jungle trail, add lunch time to the mix & I'm projecting less than 1 hour of actual tubing & caving. That would have to be one SPECTACULAR cave to make all that hassle worth it, I think we'll pass.

Right! And from what I could see, the caves are not spectacular! I canceled and went with Coral Breeze Shark/Ray Alley snorkeling and Caye Caulker :)

My family did it with Butts Up and they are wonderful people and I would suggest them instead of cruise line because they carry your tubes for you. With that being said, the actual cave tubing was just meh for me too. I'm glad I did it and but I probably would not do it again. I actually enjoyed the long ride and getting to see Belize. The guides gave a lot of history and info. I also enjoyed the lunch.

We did a cave tubing/zip-line excursion in Belize several years ago (I think Crystal Caves) with NCL. If we did it again I would definitely go independent vs. with the ship. The bus ride out and back was long, hot, and bumpy. Zip lining was fun, but lots of walking/climbing to get to the lines and only so-so communication. I did enjoy the tubing - the water was cold, but refreshing and the cave formations were neat. I would prefer a smaller group though vs. the big crowd we had. Lunch was ok, but nothing spectacular.

• 5 months later...
On 8/22/2018 at 10:06 PM, Shocker4 said:

. A 5.5 hour excursion that says 3 hours will be spent sitting on a bus, 40 min will be spent dragging your tube on a jungle trail, add lunch time to the mix & I'm projecting less than 1 hour of actual tubing & caving.

My Mom and I have cruised to Belize before but weren't able to tube because of flooding rain.  We are headed back in mid Oct 2019.  She will be 65 with 2 replaced knees (3 or 4 years ago).  My not active enough 9 year old will be with us too.  Is the walk really 40 minutes? Is it a hard walk - climbing, awkward surfaces?

On 2/10/2019 at 10:55 AM, JDK01269 said:

My Mom and I have cruised to Belize before but weren't able to tube because of flooding rain.  We are headed back in mid Oct 2019.  She will be 65 with 2 replaced knees (3 or 4 years ago).  My not active enough 9 year old will be with us too.  Is the walk really 40 minutes? Is it a hard walk - climbing, awkward surfaces?

I don't remember it being any longer than 15-20 minutes. On the walk the guide is talking also, and stopping at various plants and trees to talk about them.  Very interesting and a time to rest a bit if needed.  There are a couple of gravel areas and some tree roots but I didn't think it was hard at all.  Then you get in the water and it is so refreshing!  The guide ties all the tubes together, you sit down, and go...   And when you come out of the cave, you are right where they pick up the tubes, right back at the starting spot so you don't carry it anymore.  

On 2/10/2019 at 11:55 AM, JDK01269 said:

We ended up choosing the cave kayaking (not tubing) excursion from a private supplier (Dec 2018).  Same location as all the tubing companies, different experience.  Yes, it is 30-40 min of walking, mostly flat, rocky surface, like walking on a rural dirt road that's been recently rocked.  But, there are 2 river crossings (on foot) that get about mid-thigh deep depending on level and there's a few steep dop offs where our guide held hands and assisted.  There is a potential for foot slippage and you need to be sure footed in the river, but I wouldn't hesitate to ask a guide for a hand if your having trouble.  I don't want anyone to give you the impression it's easier than it is.  Indeed you walk out to the starting point and ride back on the water, when finished you're about a 5 min walk back to base camp.  My biggest concern was lack of food on this port day, I recommend you BYO.  I saw people eating dry cereal from boxes they brought from the ship and others had Pringles cans.

Edited by Shocker4
  • Like 1