Balcony cabins on Navigator of the Seas - first time balcony user help!

My husband and I have never cruised on RCI and have actually never booked a balcony cabin on any of the 3 cruises we've taken. We would really like to spring for a balcony for our 30th wedding anniversary trip. We are currently looking at a 5-day cruise on the Navigator. I have a couple of balcony related questions.

1. I absolutely do not want any kind of obstructed view. Which decks do I want to avoid?

2. We will probably not spring for an aft balcony (ask awesome as they seem!), so we will most likely do a mid-ship room. Is the hump a good spot to be, or not as desirable? If we book on the stern side of the hump will we avoid a little wind, or won't it really make a difference?

3. The RCI website lists square footage of the decks, but I'm wondering about the approximate dimensions? 10ft x 3ft? Or similar?

Thanks in advance for the advice. I did a search on the RCI forum but didn't find answers to any of the above questions. I hoping that all of you with balcony experience can help me out! :)

My husband and I have never cruised on RCI and have actually never booked a balcony cabin on any of the 3 cruises we've taken. We would really like to spring for a balcony for our 30th wedding anniversary trip. We are currently looking at a 5-day cruise on the Navigator. I have a couple of balcony related questions.

1. I absolutely do not want any kind of obstructed view. Which decks do I want to avoid?

2. We will probably not spring for an aft balcony (ask awesome as they seem!), so we will most likely do a mid-ship room. Is the hump a good spot to be, or not as desirable? If we book on the stern side of the hump will we avoid a little wind, or won't it really make a difference?

3. The RCI website lists square footage of the decks, but I'm wondering about the approximate dimensions? 10ft x 3ft? Or similar?

Thanks in advance for the advice. I did a search on the RCI forum but didn't find answers to any of the above questions. I hoping that all of you with balcony experience can help me out! :)

1. The only obstructed views are from the aft facing cabins.

2. The hump is a great location. Balcony cabins are on decks 6,7 and 8 for the hump as 9 and 10 have suites. I’d go with deck 7 or 8. The stern is the back. It won’t make any difference with the wind whether it’s port (left) or starboard (right).

3. Yes, about 3*10 for the balcony

the cabins with obstructed views are labeled as such. that being said, when you are sitting down, your eyeline is the wooden top railing and the plexiglass underneath will be pitted with salt water so its not like you can kick back and see a clear shot of the open ocean.

Hump Cabins are very desirable.

a standard balcony will not be very large at all. enough for a pair of chairs( not necessarily a lounger) and a small table. think apartment sized balcony on a high rise.

We always book the hump if possible. Hubby loves being close to elevators and we enjoy the fact that the view is great. We have 5 Navigator cruises booked right now and all of them are hump balconies Deck 7, 4D categories.

Aft Balconies are the best. Doesn't matter how obstructed the view is - they still have a better view than balconies on the side and many are massively bigger than ones on the side.

The only thing hump balconies have in their favour is their location ie they are more conveniently placed than ones that require a 1 minute walk further back. They are no bigger or better than any other balcony and there is nothing special whatsoever about them.

If you want a hump/midship cabin - go for a starboard one. The smell of cigarette smoke from portside will reach your balcony (and your cabin if the door is open).

Aft Balconies are the best. Doesn't matter how obstructed the view is - they still have a better view than balconies on the side and many are massively bigger than ones on the side.

The only thing hump balconies have in their favour is their location ie they are more conveniently placed than ones that require a 1 minute walk further back. They are no bigger or better than any other balcony and there is nothing special whatsoever about them.

If you want a hump/midship cabin - go for a starboard one. The smell of cigarette smoke from portside will reach your balcony (and your cabin if the door is open).

Wow! I had never thought of this before! So, on the Navigator the smoking rooms are all on portside. Really good info. Thank you!!

There are no "smoking rooms". I believe the comment was referring to the outside smoking area on the promenade deck. As was mentioned above, the largest balconies are on the aft facing cabins. Hump cabin balconies on Navigator are no larger than any other side balcony.