Virtuoso sponsored shore excursions

miranda200

I think you need to ask this on the board here for the cruise line for your ship.

I have never heard of this, but Mr. Google seems to indicate that Virtuoso is a group organizer that works through a number of travel agencies. You have to book through them to take their tours. So maybe you should look them up on Tripavisor. EM

I think you need to ask this on the board here for the cruise line for your ship.

I have never heard of this, but Mr. Google seems to indicate that Virtuoso is a group organizer that works through a number of travel agencies. You have to book through them to take their tours. So maybe you should look them up on Tripavisor. EM

Just to clarify: Virtuoso is a consortium of travel agencies.

Through my travel agency, I have used the services of Virtuoso. I have not participated (never had the opportunity to do so) in a sponsored tour. But, I have been pleased with my experience with them. Trying to book a reasonable air fare for an international flight in Business Class, neither myself nor the cruise line was able to find a "decent" fare. When my agent tried to book the air through Virtuoso, the quote for the itinerary I wanted was the lowest price we had found.

Thanks for the replies. I do very much appreciate my virtuoso agent. It's a benefit they're offering on a Seabourn Alaska cruise to choose on board credit or this Juneau/Mendenhall glacier tour. We're taking the tour, so I'll let you know how it is.

I took a Virtuoso shore excursion in Funchal, and it was nice -- for a shore excursion. This cruise I turned down the shore excursion and took the OBC instead. I'm not much of a shore excursion kind of person and usually prefer to just poke around on my own or (in some places) take transit to where I want to go. For this cruise, I'm not even sure I'm going to go ashore at the port stops anyway.

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks for the replies. I do very much appreciate my virtuoso agent. It's a benefit they're offering on a Seabourn Alaska cruise to choose on board credit or this Juneau/Mendenhall glacier tour. We're taking the tour, so I'll let you know how it is.

Which company is the tour actually through? There are about 50 tour- selling booths at the dock in Juneau, and you can get a bus ride to the glacier area for $25ish pp round trip, with plenty of time at the glacier. It’s a national park type area with a wonderful visitors center and well-marked walking paths. An actual guide is not necessary for this particular area in Juneau. If the onboard credit is hefty, you may weigh your options. The glacier itself is a worthwhile stop while here. But, if the tour itself is through Gastineau Guiding rather than just the generic bus transportation, you will learn quite a bit. Enjoy! And bring a rain coat :)