What to skip on the NCL menu

tcruisin77

NCL's desserts are generally not that good, but we try them anyway.

One thing that I tried on the Star a couple of years ago was the turkey lasagna. I have had great turkey lasagna, but not on NCL.

The pizza on NCL is mediocre.

Rubin sandwich in O'Sheehans, the so called lox in the buffet, it is a lox mouse sort of and am not a fan of the desserts except as others have said, Creme Burle. I was surprised to see someone say Eggs bene in the buffet. It must have been a bad morning or the end of a pan of them. I always get them and love the spinach eggs benedict.

The lox mousse was just meh. I wish that they would go back to the sliced lox again.

Add my vote for the lava cake with gelato in MDR. had it 3 times, always good:D

Creme brûlée hit or miss...Cagney's had the worst desserts. Skipped over to MDR for dessert.

Cookies out for late afternoon snack and late night at outdoor dining venue.

I've been enjoying the favorite dishes thread but now want to know what is a waste of calories for you. Please mention why you dislike the particular food; one man's trash is another's treasure, right? Thank you.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Normally I would say desserts .However,for the first time in 33 years I am now (since June) allowed to eat chocolate ,Therefore ,I will be eating a lot on my next cruise.I will endeavor to attempt to eat healthy as much as possible.

Add me to the "not a fan of the desserts" list.

Also, the pho in Lotus Garden was really very unappealing.

Overall, I think the food is pretty good (if unadventurous) but I've had a couple of clinkers in the MDR. Once, a fish dish that seemed to be pure salt. I assumed the chef had simply goofed. The waiter saw my one bite & inquired, I told him what was going on, and he just about begged me to accept something else. I had a second appetizer & was perfectly happy :-)

Best dessert on any of the cruise lines was the ricotta cheesecake with lemon curd that was served in La Cucina restaurant. I am not that fond of cheesecake and it surprised my husband when I ordered it and OMG it was amazing.

I wish I could have gotten another slice while sailing but it was only in the one specialty restaurant.

The nachos at O'Sheehan's were terrible . They used the fake nachos cheese, but it was waters down and runny.

Yes! I remember laughing and my companions asking why and I said "I've never seen cold cheese RUN before!"

Agree with all - save your dessert calories. Hint: On Pride of America in the buffet I discovered a great alternative which I've used on other ships when available -- get some chutney and papadums, and end the meal on a sweet/hot note. Really tasty. I've left a pay restaurant and stopped at the buffet for them because they hit all the taste buds.

I usually bring a bag of chocolates from home to satisfy my sweet tooth during a cruise. There's enough salt in everything that my salt cravings are usually completely satisfied!

Good Evening fellow Cruise Critic posters. My name is Kitty and I am a BitterandBlanc-aholic. I have been a BBA since my 1st cruise in 2009 when I was served that warm sweet rich concoction of pure utter deliciousness for dessert the first time. My DH didn't like his and I finished it too. I've only been on three other cruises since then, but I have made it my mission to get my mouth on that heavenly bread pudding as much as possible. I will skip the appetizer and bread course just to be able to get an extra to take back to the cabin for later on. Fortunately, I have not gone so far as to have my DH order two and spirit those off to the room as well (apparently, I have some dignity left). Now I do realize that this is the NCL board and the heavenly dessert of which I speak is served on another cruise line which begins with "C" and ends with "L". We all have our crosses to bear. I am not bitter--segue coming--, however, I will be blanc, as my palate will know next October that it's on a cruise ship and will be expecting, well, you know. So, kind NCL Cruise Criticers, do tell, what is if anything the closest thing, to well, you know. Thank you so much. Sitting down now. Please return to whatever you were doing before you were doing this.:D:D

So, kind NCL Cruise Criticers, do tell, what is if anything the closest thing, to well, you know.

They do have a bread pudding in the MDR, but it has a caramel sauce, not ganache. You may like it, or it may offend you in its un-bitter difference; I don't know.

The creme brulee is pretty good; it's served at some of the specialties.

They do have a bread pudding in the MDR, but it has a caramel sauce, not ganache. You may like it, or it may offend you in its un-bitter difference; I don't know.

The creme brulee is pretty good; it's served at some of the specialties.

Thank you for your reply. Really I hope I didn't offend anyone. I didn't mean to come off as snobby. It was meant to come off as humor, so if it fell flat as a fritter, I'm sorry---:o