Airport Security and Cameras

DENNICH

Could anyone give me an update about going through security and camera equipment? I was reading a TSA page the other day and it said something to the effect that cameras require a separate screening now. Is this being enforced at most airports? Has anyone had to take their lens off.? I usually travel with 2 Nikon bodies, several lenses, a couple of small point and shoots,an underwater camera, and a laptop on my backpack. Will I have to take it all out of the pack and put them into the plastic bins? Thanks to everyone for your help and information.

Hint #2: If you fly enough for this to matter (which for me would be once), spend $85 on TSA Precheck, or, since you're on a cruise forum where you travel internationally, spend $100 on Global Entry (both are for five years). Electronics stay in the bag.

This is being rolled out airport by airport apparently, so the actual pain is still somewhat unknown...

There's an ongoing thread on this since we all panicked when it was announced.

Look here: https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2526011

Hint: Not much has changed... ;)

Dave

Hint #2: If you fly enough for this to matter (which for me would be once), spend $85 on TSA Precheck, or, since you're on a cruise forum where you travel internationally, spend $100 on Global Entry (both are for five years). Electronics stay in the bag.

This is being rolled out airport by airport apparently, so the actual pain is still somewhat unknown...

Thanks to both of you for the hints and for the link to the previous thread. Everyone is always so helpful on Cruise Critic. :)

On a trip to Hawaii in September, we ended up with "pre-check" for all flights with the exception of one. We did not pay for it but were randomly selected for the "pre-check", which was on our boarding passes. Going through security we left shoes on, didn't have to pull anything out of carry-on luggage (including quart sized bag with small amounts of liquids), and we went through the regular metal detector. On our flight from Kauai to Maui (Hawaiian Air), we had the pre-check, so all of that was the same, BUT I heard a "beep" when I went through metal detector. I did not have anything on me that would set it off, instead it was a "random" selection of passengers, so I was told to get in a line with another lady. The agent told us it was random, we hadn't done anything wrong, we didn't have anything we weren't supposed to in our carry-ons, we didn't "set off" the metal detector. This was random, a random selection of passengers that would have to have a TSA agent manually go through everything in our carry on luggage. When it was my turn, the agent was obviously just looking for electronics. First of all, he was very nice and actually complimented how neatly I had everything organized in my camera bag. He told me exactly what he was going to take out and also explained the whole process. He was VERY careful, with everything, and mainly just used the wipe over the cameras & other electronics for detection of chemicals used for explosives. He also put everything back and exactly where/how I had them. So, even if you have pre-check, it's possible that you could be randomly selected if they are doing that. That was the only time during the whole trip I got the random selection. My husband was never selected.

• 4 weeks later...

Have precheck and travel with a 5dii , three lenses , flash and four batteries in a backpack, that never gets flagged. Have a hard sided carry on I keep my aquatica housing, two strobes four strobe batteries , arms vacuum pump , 8” dome , tubes and wiring, that is flagged every time I bring it , first it is unpacked , then swabbed and then I generally have to repack as it is a tight fit, the look on their faces sometimes is priceless lol

• 1 month later...

:ate to this party but coming from Mexico back to US in ATL in Nov/17 I had to have my bag rescanned after security removed the camera bodies. I had forgotten about the new rules. No issue when we were leaving ATL for Mexico however.

Hawaii TSA and anyone airport security related there have always been so nice. One found a forgotten can of Hawaiian juice under our stroller, gave a wink, and said "this is 'food' for the baby, right?" and let us through with it after a slow to comprehend nod from me. All the mainland TSA I've encountered have generally not been very nice. PreCheck definitely is worth it for me.

Only DW has Global Entry and we've never used it yet. We'll see how it goes in a few months. I plan on sending her through alone to test it. The problem with Global Entry is that there are far fewer places to do the interview (nearest place is 2 hours from us, and we live in California) and that everyone in the party has to have it. With PreCheck, just the adults need to have it. Our kids can tag along with us. If you are near an interview place, for $15 extra, you might as well get Global Entry.

Hawaii TSA and anyone airport security related there have always been so nice. One found a forgotten can of Hawaiian juice under our stroller, gave a wink, and said "this is 'food' for the baby, right?" and let us through with it after a slow to comprehend nod from me. All the mainland TSA I've encountered have generally not been very nice. PreCheck definitely is worth it for me.

Only DW has Global Entry and we've never used it yet. We'll see how it goes in a few months. I plan on sending her through alone to test it. The problem with Global Entry is that there are far fewer places to do the interview (nearest place is 2 hours from us, and we live in California) and that everyone in the party has to have it. With PreCheck, just the adults need to have it. Our kids can tag along with us. If you are near an interview place, for $15 extra, you might as well get Global Entry.

They WERE very nice. Another thing I noticed while there was hearing several overhead announcements in the Hawaiian airports about items belonging to passengers that were inadvertently left behind at security (baseball hats, a book, etc.) so the owners could go back and get the forgotten items. I don't know if they do that here on the mainland or not, but I've never heard any announcement and guessing anything left behind was either tossed or went to a lost and found, leaving it up to the passenger to notice and do the footwork to get it back.