Documentation

lbfluffy

My friend requested her passport, but just received a letter from the passport agency saying she needed proof of her birth because she was not delivered in a hospital, but at home by a midwife. She will not be able to get all that information before we cruise. So she just picked up her birth certificate and marriage license since her birth certificate has her maiden name and her drivers license has her married name. I was told this is all she needs. But she is concerned that her drivers license has her first and last name and her birth certificate has her first middle and last name. Will she be ok with what she has. This is cruise out of Los Angeles to the Mexican Riviera. Thanks. I hope I was clear

The only times name must match exactly is when you are flying internationally

That means airline ticket must match exactly to your passport

However I am confused?

You say passport agency requires proof of her birth?

You say your friend has a birth certificate?

Wasn't that birth certificate what she used to apply for her pp?

Why wouldn't they take it?

Is it a legit bc? With a stamp?

What you are posting doesn't seem to make sense to me or am I not reading your post properly?

One must apply for their first pp in person. Did she actually go to the office without her bc?

One needs proof to get a pp and a bc (or naturalization papers) are the proof that is needed as there is no other proof of where you were born

So again, if she has a bc why couldn't she get her pp?

Being born at home makes no difference. This is BECAUSE you say in your post that she does indeed have a bc.

If she didn't have a bc that is a different story but you say she has a bc so why didn't the passport agency take it?

That is the real question.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by luvtheships

The only times name must match exactly is when you are flying internationally

That means airline ticket must match exactly to your passport

However I am confused?

You say passport agency requires proof of her birth?

You say your friend has a birth certificate?

Wasn't that birth certificate what she used to apply for her pp?

Why wouldn't they take it?

Is it a legit bc? With a stamp?

What you are posting doesn't seem to make sense to me or am I not reading your post properly?

One must apply for their first pp in person. Did she actually go to the office without her bc?

One needs proof to get a pp and a bc (or naturalization papers) are the proof that is needed as there is no other proof of where you were born

So again, if she has a bc why couldn't she get her pp?

Being born at home makes no difference. This is BECAUSE you say in your post that she does indeed have a bc.

If she didn't have a bc that is a different story but you say she has a bc so why didn't the passport agency take it?

That is the real question.

I understand that the rules are different for people who weren't born in a hospital and OP's friend was born at home. That's what the hold up is.

OP, your friend should be fine with the documents she has as long as the birth certificate was issued by a government agency. My birth certificate has my full middle name but my license only had my middle initial.

I understand that the rules are different for people who weren't born in a hospital and OP's friend was born at home. That's what the hold up is.

OP, your friend should be fine with the documents she has as long as the birth certificate was issued by a government agency. My birth certificate has my full middle name but my license only had my middle initial.

Do you know what the difference would be?

Can't imagine they need a letter from the midwife from who knows how long ago

Is this the first time the friend used her bc for anything? How did she get a marriage license? A drivers license?

Doesn't city hall issue bc? Doesn't that make it a legal doc?

I am interested as to what the pp agency needs in addition to a legal bc?

As long as the midwife registers the birth why does it matter what sort if facility you were born in? My spouse was born at home in Italy. All that was needed to get a USA pp were the naturalization papers. Didn't even need a bc as the naturalization papers prove them to be a USA citizen

I really would love to hear from someone who knows exactly what the additional steps need to be taken by someone who has a legal bc but was not born in a hospital.

Maybe there is more to it for the friend?

Is it possible she was born to non citizens but she herself was born here?

Plenty of people born in the usa have non citizen parents but if the friend has a USA bc why is there a problem?

Just would like clarification if anyone here knows

Thanks

Edited by luvtheships

Do you know what the difference would be?

Can't imagine they need a letter from the midwife from who knows how long ago

Is this the first time the friend used her bc for anything? How did she get a marriage license? A drivers license?

Doesn't city hall issue bc? Doesn't that make it a legal doc?

I am interested as to what the pp agency needs in addition to a legal bc?

As long as the midwife registers the birth why does it matter what sort if facility you were born in? My spouse was born at home in Italy. All that was needed to get a USA pp were the naturalization papers. Didn't even need a bc as the naturalization papers prove them to be a USA citizen

I really would love to hear from someone who knows exactly what the additional steps need to be taken by someone who has a legal bc but was not born in a hospital.

Maybe there is more to it for the friend?

Is it possible she was born to non citizens but she herself was born here?

Plenty of people born in the usa have non citizen parents but if the friend has a USA bc why is there a problem?

Just would like clarification if anyone here knows

Thanks

The only thing that I can think of (I found nothing useful on the state department website) is that it has more to do with the status of the birth attendant, so if you were delivered at home by a doctor you are fine because doctor's are recognized as being able to certify births. So it's the fact that the friend was delivered by a midwife more than anything else. There was information on the state department website about a lawsuit that was filed in Texas because the state department was improperly handling passport applications for those who were delivered by a midwife because many midwives in Texas were filing birth certificates for people who weren't born here. I didn't read the whole thing because it's too early to read legalese but I suspect that lawsuit triggered today's procedures.

My friend requested her passport, but just received a letter from the passport agency saying she needed proof of her birth because she was not delivered in a hospital, but at home by a midwife. She will not be able to get all that information before we cruise. So she just picked up her birth certificate and marriage license since her birth certificate has her maiden name and her drivers license has her married name. I was told this is all she needs. But she is concerned that her drivers license has her first and last name and her birth certificate has her first middle and last name. Will she be ok with what she has. This is cruise out of Los Angeles to the Mexican Riviera. Thanks. I hope I was clear

I am confused.

Either she has a birth certificate, or she doesn't.

Luvtheships wrote

I do not think this is true in the US. I did not apply in person.

According to the State Department website if it's your first passport you must apply in person.

According to the State Department website if it's your first passport you must apply in person.

That is correct. You must apply for your first passport in person.

However, even if your documentation is accepted by the person who first reviews it, that doesn't guarantee the State Department will accept it when the application and documentation are then submitted for processing.

So, if it is not good enough for getting a passport, what will NCL decide at the pier?

That it is an official birth certificate issued by a government agency. Just because the State Department won't recognize it for the issuance of a passport doesn't invalidate it for travel on a closed loop cruise (similar to a birth certificate that doesn't have the parents' names- it is accepted for a closed loop cruise but wouldn't suffice to obtain a passport). (And I misspoke when I said that a midwife issues a birth certificate, a midwife only files the form with the government, the government issues the birth certificate.)

Edited by sparks1093

The only thing that I can think of (I found nothing useful on the state department website) is that it has more to do with the status of the birth attendant, so if you were delivered at home by a doctor you are fine because doctor's are recognized as being able to certify births. So it's the fact that the friend was delivered by a midwife more than anything else. There was information on the state department website about a lawsuit that was filed in Texas because the state department was improperly handling passport applications for those who were delivered by a midwife because many midwives in Texas were filing birth certificates for people who weren't born here. I didn't read the whole thing because it's too early to read legalese but I suspect that lawsuit triggered today's procedures.

Sure I can see how that can be a major problem especially in border states.

Since the friend has a marriage license and drivers license they probably just took whatever she showed them

Since a pp is a high value asset to a citizen I guess I am glad they are not just handing them out like candy

Luvtheships wrote

Somehow the above poster made a mistake in the quote and didn't use the quote function but rather just wrote out my words and added theirs under mine. Thus making my post sound different

I know one MUST apply in person the first time

the last 2 lines are misleading on the above quote they are Goose 30 words. Not mine. Thanks

Edited by luvtheships

Does turning in the paperwork at a post office qualify as "applying in person?"

"Turning it in at the post office" as in just mailing it from a post office, no.

"Turning it in at the post office" as in having the paperwork reviewed and approved by a designated person prior to mailing it, yes.

In different areas there are different agencies that take and review passport applications. For example in some places it's done at post offices, in others at various governmental offices such as a municipal building or a county clerk's office.

"Turning it in at the post office" as in just mailing it from a post office, no.

"Turning it in at the post office" as in having the paperwork reviewed and approved by a designated person prior to mailing it, yes.

In different areas there are different agencies that take and review passport applications. For example in some places it's done at post offices, in others at various governmental offices such as a municipal building or a county clerk's office.

Excellent clarification. Our town's post office will not take passport applications. The town ten miles to the east of us will.

She mailed the application in with her original BC. I believe she went to the post office and filled out the application then it was mailed. I will ask her at lunch. The letter said sometihing to the fact since she was a non institution birth, her home, she must get proof of her birth from places such as her school or the midwife. Now mind you she is in her 70's and the midwife is no longer around. She has never applied for a passport before. I was a bit confused too. The passport agency kept her orignal BC awaiting her to send the appropriate documentation. So she had to go to the county administrative office and get another BC.

Edited by lbfluffy

She mailed the application in with her original BC. The letter said sometihing to the fact since she was a non institution birth, her home, she must get proof of her birth from places such as her school or the midwife. Now mind you she is in her 70's and the midwife is no longer around. She has never applied for a passport before. I was a bit confused too. The passport agency kept her orignal BC awaiting her to send the appropriate documentation. So she had to go to the county administrative office and get another BC.

You know, if she's not planning on doing a lot of travel it might be better if she just gave up on the whole passport idea. Of course if she has lots of plans for travel she would have to stick with it. I'm in my 50's and quail at the thought of trying to obtain something from my childhood:eek:.

Luvtheships wrote

My DH and I applied for our passports via the on-line-downloadable documents and then sent them in, too.

She mailed the application in with her original BC. I believe she went to the post office and filled out the application then it was mailed. I will ask her at lunch. The letter said sometihing to the fact since she was a non institution birth, her home, she must get proof of her birth from places such as her school or the midwife. Now mind you she is in her 70's and the midwife is no longer around. She has never applied for a passport before. I was a bit confused too. The passport agency kept her orignal BC awaiting her to send the appropriate documentation. So she had to go to the county administrative office and get another BC.

A letter from a doctor or lawyer or clergy maybe?

Her high school?

Let me pose this question?

Can we assume she receives social security?

Medicare?

The government already knows how old she is if she gets benefits and knows where and when she was born. Right?

I say make a few calls and see what happens. Ask the right questions.

My Ellis island 1902 immigrant 10 year old grandmother had some major issue proving who she was etc etc back in the 1960's and I was just a kid but my mom and grand and I went to city hall and had someone in real authority clear up the mess

I know it is doubtful these days, lol, but there must still be someone who is in charge of clearing stuff like this up at the federal level.

You know someone who actually knows what to do!! Lol