Cabo dolphin swim

JennPVMX

Hello! My kiddos are wanting to do a dolphin swim in Cabo. I’ve looked into it just a bit. If I book through Carnival, it’s significantly more expensive than booking it on our own. Has anyone done this? Would they turn us away if we didn’t book through the ship? Just want to be sure, as this is the one big item on my kids’ lists! I just don’t see spending an extra $100-$150 if there’s no need.

Have you checked the exact date / time that you CAN do it? When I checked the time on their website, none of the schedule fits our cruise schedule. Many people said they did so on purpose so you have to go through cruise line.

That being said, I booked the dolphin activities in Los Cabos. It's further away, but they have shuttle to get you there, and I was able to book the time I can actually do it.

We’ve only done the dolphin swim once, in Cozumel, and we purchased it directly on the Dolphin Discovery website. We saved a substantial amount of money, plus we didn’t have to deal with the cruise line’s crowds. We were also placed with a much smaller group.

With all of that said, I encourage you to reconsider swimming with dolphins. Had I known then what I learned on this excursion, I would’ve never done it. The dolphins looked so playful when we first got there. But once we got closer to them, we realized that they were filled with scratches and damage to their noses. Later we learned that the reason why their noses were like this was because the dolphins are used to push guests riding a boogie board with the tip of their noses. Also, we thought that they had plenty of space where to swim, but netting limits their space and confines them considerably.

We left this place with very mixed emotions. Part of us was mesmerized about having met these creatures up close. But a much bigger part of us felt horrible about having met them in such conditions.

There are other places throughout the Caribbean and along the US golf coast where you can swim with dolphins in their natural habitat, without enclosures, and not performing tricks for food. If I ever choose to get close to dolphins again, that’s the kind of experience that I would seek.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Are you going to Puerta Vallarta on your cruise? If so take a look at Wildlife Connection (they also have a FB page) and their Dolphins in the Wild tour.

They take small groups out in the bay in search of the pods of wild dolphins. The guides are very familiar with the different groups of dolphins and their feeding times, habits and which ones like to interact. Once they find them you get into the water and swim with them. It is an amazing experience!

We booked it on their website and just took a taxi to the marina. I believe I read that they now offer transportation to and from the cruise port.

Have a great cruise!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Forums mobile app