River cruising in winter

Sailorsheila

We have done several ocean cruises and would like to try river cruising. Having looked at many brochures (Viking, Titan, Avalon etc.) we noticed that many cruise are considerably cheaper in the winter. Has anyone been on a Rhine, Elbe or Danube cruise in November, December or March and if so would you recommend it?

Also would anyone recommend any particular cruise line, and is it worth the extra to book a veranda or balcony cabin?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

We have done several ocean cruises and would like to try river cruising. Having looked at many brochures (Viking, Titan, Avalon etc.) we noticed that many cruise are considerably cheaper in the winter. Has anyone been on a Rhine, Elbe or Danube cruise in November, December or March and if so would you recommend it?

Also would anyone recommend any particular cruise line, and is it worth the extra to book a veranda or balcony cabin?

We have done all but one of our 7 river cruises in November and December and enjoy that time of year. We can save money, enjoy the seasonal foods and festivities (Christmas markets especially) and the ports are less crowded.

We have a November cruise booked this year and next with AMA (our preference) and may add another for December of this year for the week after Christmas as we have time off from work and some frequent flyer miles getting ready to expire.

For the winter season, I do not think a balcony/french balcony is really necessary if budget is a concern. This is really personal preference and priorities. However, it is always nice to have either to enjoy the views, IMO and IME.

We have cruised in November (Rhine / Mosel) and over Christmas and New Year (Danube)

Weather can be somewhat grey and damp and quite chilly, or sunny and brisk. However it also means there are fewer crowds of tourists. The exception being the Christmas markets filled with holidayers.

Balconies are totally a personal call. We would not bother because when the weather is cold, we have no desire to have the doors open and would not think to stand out on a balcony....if the urge hits the upper deck provides a much better view.

Have also cruised in late April early May (Rhone / Soane ) springtime can also be a bit iffy, but again, less crowds and no oppressive heat.

Warm clothes, good footwear and a positive attitude and you can travel anytime!

We did a Xmas cruise several years ago and enjoyed it thoroughly. We had some fantastic experiences. We went to midnight mass in Budapest, and as we walked out of the cathedral, it started snowing! My wife is from Southern California and had never seen snow fall!

We were in Linz New Year's Eve, and they shoot off fireworks for over an hour! You can even buy skyrockets in the markets.

The story and pictures are on our website. We are always happy to answer any questions.

P.S. check the temperature before you go it was 17 F one day

Edited by Talisker92

I have taken two Viking river cruises in March (Tulips & Windmills) in 2006 & again in 2013 and the weather was fine.

I was on the Rhine Getaway with Viking this past November (17th) and the weather was good then also. I usually book the cheapest cabin but in November the travel agent called and said we had been upgraded to a French balcony cabin. They upgraded us when we went to China also.

You are only in your cabin to sleep so you don't need a balcony.

I like Viking and I will continue to travel with them.

This past year we sailed Viking the beginning of December to enjoy the Christmas Markets on the Rhine River - a fabulous trip!! We did have a few grey days but no rain and above normal temperatures! But our trip wan't limited to just the CMs as we also enjoyed most of the normal included tours on the cruise.

Now that I'm retired and no longer limited by a school schedule we like to vacation in the "off" season - spring and mostly fall!!

Hello Sailorsheila,

one thing to bear in mind is the likelyhood of flooding which is statistically higher in winter. On the Rhine it is most likely around New Year's Day and in March. At those times there is a higher risk of a cruise turning into a bus tour. Last year's flooding in May was an exception.

The Christmas markets need to be seen to be believed. With the right amount of cold weather and snow they are really magical.

Have fun planning!

notamermaid

I cruised the Seine in early December last year and temps in Paris were around 50, in Rouen closer to 25...but lots of sun. I loved it so much I'm doing the Rhine this December.

Upcoming: Hurtigruten Trollfjord November '14. Searching for the northern lights

GCT Christmas markets on the Rhine December '14

• 1 month later...

We did Viking's Amsterdam to Budapest in November 2012 and loved it. There were still leaves on the trees and only Vienna was too cold and blustery to enjoy one day. We even had lovely sunshine for the castle cruising in Germany. Most days were nice.

We have done Viking's Douro over Christmas and loved it, too. One day was too wet and blustery to enjoy the outing to Salamanca but we had many days of good weather, too. We almost got stuck upriver when the rains came at the end of the cruise but Viking did a great job persuading the lockmasters to hold the opening of the locks (read as floodgates in this instance) so we could race back to Porto.

These two and a late April Paris to Normandy are our favorite cruises so far.

We've had two Viking Tulip and Windmill cruises in 2012 and 2013 early to mid-April and considered both too early with too cold weather and few tulips. We've heard that this year was better weather and more tulips.

One discovery we made after the second Tulip cruise was five days in Lisbon on our own - lovely bikini weather and we fell in love with Lisbon and Portugal. We've returned twice so far. Somewhere warm at the end made a nice memory for the trip.

We've booked a seventh Viking cruise this November so you can tell that we've enjoyed our late and early cruising. Check out your destinations if you spend time at the front or end of your cruise to make sure seasonal closings don't disappoint (cog trains in Switzerland, canal boats in Bruges, etc.) And for any time of year watch for religious and national holidays where there will be few shops open. Enjoy whenever you go as you will find special adventures and great memories.

BTW - we prefer French balcony rooms as we love to open the curtains while sailing at night (Douro cruise does not sail at night except in Porto where you'll want to go to the top deck) and early morning. It's usually beautiful, peaceful and romantic.