Melbourne public transportation

I am planning to do some walking tours in Melbourne. I see several public transportation options but not sure what would work best.

1 - Visitor shuttle https://whatson.melbourne.vic.gov.au/visitors/transport/shuttle/Pages/shuttle-route.aspx

looks like a ho/ho, cost $10 for 2 days. Is the docklands stop in walking distance from cruise port?

2 - Myki Explorer card https://www.ptv.vic.gov.au/tickets/myki/buy-a-myki/myki-explorer/#1 This card costs $15 for unlimited travel for one day. Is tram 109 in walking distance of the port? or what public transportation is able to go from port to CBD?

3. Free tram zone in CBD https://www.ptv.vic.gov.au/getting-around/maps/ While it is free, how do we get there ? Celebrity Ship shuttle??

I guess #1 will be cheapest if I the docklands stop is near the port. If its not in walking distance from the port then option 2. I'm guessing the most expensive option will be ship's shuttle, but I dont know what that will cost - Celebrity cruise new website isn't exactly easy to find any useful planning info.

Docklands is nowhere near the port (Station Pier). To use the shuttle bus you would need to get into the CBD, and that is easiet by tram. Since you're already planning walking tours you may not be interested in doing a full HoHo route, although they are usually a nice way to get an overview of a city.

The 109 tram stop is a short walk from Station Pier - through the car park and across the road. I'm not sure if Celebrity run shuttles into the city.

It is so easy to get around Melbourne by public transport so the Myki explorer card is probably your best option. That way you can go where you want to go and are not restricted to the HoHo route. For example if your second walking tour starts a few blocks away from where your first tour ended you could just catch a tram for those few blocks and give your feet a rest.

We travel to Melbourne regularly and happily bounce around the city on trams and trains while we're there.

It is so easy to get around Melbourne by public transport so the Myki explorer card is probably your best option. That way you can go where you want to go and are not restricted to the HoHo route. For example if your second walking tour starts a few blocks away from where your first tour ended you could just catch a tram for those few blocks and give your feet a rest.

Thanks!

• 3 months later...

We arrive in Melbourne (17nov) end of our cruise around Australia and we like to visit the city and then go to the airport.

The MYKI explorer looks like the best solution but can we also use it to get to the airport or do we need another ticket for that?

Is there maybe a possibillity to store our lugage in the city while visiting?

Some inside information would be very much appreciated.

We arrive in Melbourne (17nov) end of our cruise around Australia and we like to visit the city and then go to the airport.

The MYKI explorer looks like the best solution but can we also use it to get to the airport or do we need another ticket for that?

Is there maybe a possibillity to store our lugage in the city while visiting?

Some inside information would be very much appreciated.

No, you can't use MYKI to go to the airport.

Skybus travels from Southern Cross Railway Station to the Airport costs $19 one way.

http://www.skybus.com.au

Self storage lockers are at Southern Cross Railway Station from $10.

http://www.greatsouthern.com.au

It looks to me that the way MIKI explorer is not available for purchase online but must be purchased at Docklands or downtown. Would we pay the regular fare at the tram and then purchase the card later? I'm trying to make it easy.

Thanks for any help.

Barb

Solstice Nov 11 sailing

It looks to me that the way MIKI explorer is not available for purchase online but must be purchased at Docklands or downtown. Would we pay the regular fare at the tram and then purchase the card later? I'm trying to make it easy.

Thanks for any help.

Barb

Solstice Nov 11 sailing

Barb,

You may find Myki cards are being sold at the Terminal when you disembark. If not, the convenience store/food store near where you catch then tram (light rail) will have them. You can't travel on public transport without a Myki card so it needs to be purchased before boarding the tram.

Leigh

Although the Skybus is an easy solution to the airport (particularly if you have a lot of luggage), it is possible, and considerably cheaper, to reach the airport using MYKI. From Southern Cross Station (same place Skybus leaves from) you can catch a metro train to Broadmeadows and from there switch straight to the 901 bus which drops you right at the airport. Probably will take an hour from the city (compared to 20-30 minutes on Skybus) but if you're not in a hurry and can manage your luggage the savings may be worth it.

Although the Skybus is an easy solution to the airport (particularly if you have a lot of luggage), it is possible, and considerably cheaper, to reach the airport using MYKI. From Southern Cross Station (same place Skybus leaves from) you can catch a metro train to Broadmeadows and from there switch straight to the 901 bus which drops you right at the airport. Probably will take an hour from the city (compared to 20-30 minutes on Skybus) but if you're not in a hurry and can manage your luggage the savings may be worth it.

Thank you. I wondered if there was a way to the airport by public transport. Would this be more suitable if you had hand luggage, rather than larger suitcases?

Barb,

You may find Myki cards are being sold at the Terminal when you disembark. If not, the convenience store/food store near where you catch then tram (light rail) will have them. You can't travel on public transport without a Myki card so it needs to be purchased before boarding the tram.

Leigh

Thank you. It helps to have local input. One more question..... do I need cash to buy the cards or do they take Visa?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Thank you. I wondered if there was a way to the airport by public transport. Would this be more suitable if you had hand luggage, rather than larger suitcases?

No worries, hand luggage would certainly be fine, and even a suitcase each (on wheels preferably). Just if you have a few cases it might be irksome to have to change from the train to bus at Broadmeadows.

Thank you. It helps to have local input. One more question..... do I need cash to buy the cards or do they take Visa?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

all stores take credit cards.

You will also find there are people at the wharf carrying boxes of used spare cards and all you have to do is grab one and take to to the top up machine to add a small balance to it. They collect the cards at the end of the day. They generally meet all of the cruise ships and hand out info about the trams etc. And all the trams stops get extra signage placed on them during the peak cruise season to help passengers find their way around.

• 3 months later...
What is the cost for the 109 tram into the city? And does it take you into the free tram zone?

diane.in.ny,

The cost of travelling into the city at the moment is $4.10 for two hours travel or $8.20 for all day travel. The cost is to rise slightly in the new year. The 109 travels through the middle of the city - right along Collins Street from Spencer Street to Spring Street at the other end of the CBD and into the suburbs for a further 18 kms or so.

Enjoy your visit to Melbourne.

Leigh

diane.in.ny,

The cost of travelling into the city at the moment is $4.10 for two hours travel or $8.20 for all day travel. The cost is to rise slightly in the new year. The 109 travels through the middle of the city - right along Collins Street from Spencer Street to Spring Street at the other end of the CBD and into the suburbs for a further 18 kms or so.

Enjoy your visit to Melbourne.

Leigh

Thank you!